| FTBL What worries me

LSUstudent

Verified Member
The only thing im really concerned with about Bama is the fact that Saban comes up with some great blitz techniques. Like I said before, I know very little about this team, but who should I watch for on defense? I heard on the radio today that the defense tends to cause lots of turnovers. Which defensive player(s) step(s) up?

Players to watch....

Wallace Gilberry
Brian Motley
Bobby Greenwood

Zeke Knight
Prince Hall
Darrin Mustin
Rolando McClain

Kareem Jackson
Rashad Johnson
Marcus Carter
Simeon Castille

It's mostly been a group effort this season when it comes to who stepped up. The only two noticable entries I would say was Gilberry against Houston, and Jackson against Tennessee.

Besides that, the Defense has been a work in progress all season. They have stepped up when needed this season(for the most part) and if they show up this Saturday, it will be a interesting game to say the least.

Tider 27 said:
It's mostly been a group effort this season when it comes to who stepped up. The only two noticable entries I would say was Gilberry against Houston, and Jackson against Tennessee.

Besides that, the Defense has been a work in progress all season. They have stepped up when needed this season(for the most part) and if they show up this Saturday, it will be a interesting game to say the least.

Our defense this year reminds me of some of the defenses we had in the 80's, minus the star players. I hate the term "bend but don't break," and I know that it does not apply to our defense in terms of a scheme standpoint, but that has been the case - due primarily to a lack of depth and talent on the DL. Our DL is not that good at pressuring. Thankfully that is offset somewhat by our secondary being very opportunistic. If you make a mistake, they will make you pay for it. The positive for us is that LSU has not been a well oiled machine in terms of offensive discipline...they do lead the SEC in turnover margin (we are second), however that is a bit misleading. They are the most penalized team in the SEC and we are one of the least penalized...the difference in disciplined play could be a major factor. Make no mistake, our stadium will be the most hostile environment that LSU has played in this season and that will not help their cause.

Our biggest reason to feel positive (if not confident) going in, is that our offense is probably the closest thing to what they faced against kentucky that they could face. We have the receivers and the QB to play a ball controlled passing game against LSU, and our running game is better. KY is statistically higher, but We have not played Kent State, FIU, and a really bad Louisville defense to pad our stats. FSU may not be a top 10 team, but their defense is a top 20 defense. LSU has a great defense, but they have given up 85 points in their last 3 games. 16 of those points were in overtime against KY, but it was KY, who has lost 3 of their last 4 games - including getting Croomed. Their one win was over LSU.

Does LSU have more talent? Yes.

Should LSU be favored? Yes.

Is LSU invincible? No...not even close. A dumb call on a kickoff and some blind luck handed the Auburn game to them. They lost to UK. They are beatable.

To win this game, we must:

(1) limit explosive plays
(2) control the clock (get the defense off the field!)
(3) Win the turnover battle
(4) No stupid penalties
(5) Be opportunistic

IF we do those things, we can win this game handily. If we have mental errors and turnovers, we could get destroyed...the talent gap is too large to give LSU anything they don't earn.

I don't want to lose by 3. IF we get beat, I want to lose by 21...I want to feel like we got beat...not some stupid pass interference call that does not get called making a difference in the outcome. I want to beat LSU by 21. If we win, I don't want to hear LSU fans bellyaching that they got jobbed by the refs or cheated in some way.

Don't get me wrong, I will take a 1 point win...but losing by 1 or 20 I don't want to hear excuses from either side. LSU having more talent is not an excuse, it is a reality...but Bama having better coaching is a reality as well.

It should be fun.

I agree. I think it could be a very good and fun game. I was looking at the stats and Bama was more impressive than I was expecting.

I think where LSU might nip Bama in the butt is actually the passing game. Bama ranks 60th in passing defense. With a healthy Flynn and a healthy Early Doucet, I look for LSU to throw often. The passing game was finally beginning to click in the second half against a pretty good auburn defense. If Bama can get some pressure on Flynn, it might put a dint in that plan, and with Saban's blitz packages its very possible. I think LSU runs straight at Bama early with a bevy of running backs so the back is always healthy, and then open the defense up with some big plays in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

And as far as hostile environments, I think it will be the second loudest. Tulane made alot of noise <BS>

LSUstudent said:
I agree. I think it could be a very good and fun game. I was looking at the stats and Bama was more impressive than I was expecting.

I think where LSU might nip Bama in the butt is actually the passing game. Bama ranks 60th in passing defense. With a healthy Flynn and a healthy Early Doucet, I look for LSU to throw often. The passing game was finally beginning to click in the second half against a pretty good auburn defense. If Bama can get some pressure on Flynn, it might put a dint in that plan, and with Saban's blitz packages its very possible. I think LSU runs straight at Bama early with a bevy of running backs so the back is always healthy, and then open the defense up with some big plays in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

And as far as hostile environments, I think it will be the second loudest. Tulane made alot of noise <BS>

I expect LSU to give us some problems attacking us in the middle of the field...surely Miles is not dumb enough to ignore that glaring weakness.

Our pass defense is much better than the national ranking. The issue is the lack of pressure up front. We give up yards between the 20's because of our DL not pressuring the QB, and we are prone to giving up long pass plays due to the QB having so much time...however we are opportunistic in the short field.

Although I agree that our weakness is between the tackles, I'm more concerned about Holliday getting the corner on us.

If we are in man coverage and Holliday gets to the corner, I don't think we have anyone that can catch him. LSU's wideouts are probably the best in the SEC when it comes to blocking down field.

I hope we get a steady dose of Hester up the middle. If we keep LSU out of the big plays we'll have a very good chance of winnning this game.

Argo said:
Although I agree that our weakness is between the tackles, I'm more concerned about Holliday getting the corner on us.

If we are in man coverage and Holliday gets to the corner, I don't think we have anyone that can catch him. LSU's wideouts are probably the best in the SEC when it comes to blocking down field.

I hope we get a steady dose of Hester up the middle. If we keep LSU out of the big plays we'll have a very good chance of winnning this game.

My thinking is, we are fast to the corners. We have pursuit speed. The problem is when they gut us and we can't close down.

Argo said:
Players to watch....

Wallace Gilberry
Brian Motley
Bobby Greenwood

Zeke Knight
Prince Hall
Darrin Mustin
Rolando McClain

Kareem Jackson
Rashad Johnson
Marcus Carter
Simeon Castille

That about sums it up. :D

I think it will be an interesting match. Our defense vs their pass game. If we can rattle Flyn or at least limit his time in the pocket then we might be able to do something special on Saturday.

On the other hand...we need to get up early if at all possible. That will force LSU to pass and we really defend the pass better against SEC teams then we do the run against SEC teams.

This could be a game for the ages.

Argo said:
Bryant34 said:
So McClain IS getting the nod at OL?

Nah. Antoine McClain will most likely not play against LSU. Rolando McClain(freshman linebacker) will.

That's what I meant.

I saw (Rolando) McClain in the "players to watch" post as an OL, and I did read somewhere that he was practicing for that position. If so, that's outstanding. That gets our best athletes on the field at the same time.

Bryant34 said:
Argo said:
Bryant34 said:
So McClain IS getting the nod at OL?

Nah. Antoine McClain will most likely not play against LSU. Rolando McClain(freshman linebacker) will.

That's what I meant.

I saw (Rolando) McClain in the "players to watch" post as an OL, and I did read somewhere that he was practicing for that position. If so, that's outstanding. That gets our best athletes on the field at the same time.

I'm a jackleg. When I saw OL I was thinking Offensive line. I now see you were talking about Outside Linebacker. My apologies. :D

Actually I'm not sure if he will start at the outside spot. I read the same thing you did and I think he can handle that spot well enough. As you said, we need our best athletes on the field.

Back
Top Bottom