| FTBL What must we do to beat Tennessee?

bamafan850 said:
we can not stop there 8-12 yard passes

I think they are pretty accurate on this one. We haven't seemed to stop those plays all year and I don't understand why. I think we need to gamble on defense. Try to step in front of a few short passes and cause some turnovers. We might get burned on a few deep passes, but if we get a few turnovers and set the offense up enough times to out score our opponent then we win. Plus, it minimizes the time our defense is on the field. We either cause a turnover or give up a big play. Either way, you put the ball right back in the hands of your offense. It's a lot better than all the 9-13 play, 5-7 minute drives Old Miss was putting together.

BamaDelta said:
We just don't have a chance do we? :wink:

Actually we've broken some jinxes in Coach Saban's 1st year. What we couldn't do in Mike Shula's tenure we've already done twice in Coach Saban's...we've come back after being down in 4th Q.

The only thing we haven't done/broken is the big upset. You do realize we haven't had a big upset since '99. You may say '05 Florida was an upset, and maybe you're right. I do know many people were predicting us so I can't say that was really a big upset.

Anyway, no big upset in almost 8 years...none! :cry: Every year we look at UT, LSU and AU and hope/think we can nab one. And we haven't in 7 previous seasons. I sure hope this year is the time we finally break that! a$#

I'm not sure if you can really consider this a BIG upset. From the betting lines thread, Bama is actually a favorite in this game. UT is only ranked around 21 or 22. To get a BIG upset, we'll have to beat LSU in a few weeks.

I disagree with stepping in front of some passes.. We need to play fundamental football. If we give up the big plays like that ( and it will happen if thats how we play) we are in for a looong day. One problem both sides have had this year is getting the basics down and sticking to them. (blocking, tackling, etc) I do think we need some very well disguised blitz's and we need to play brown, hall, and caddell at the same time. I think we can win this game if we don't lose it for ourselves with poor execution. There is not a single reason why we shouldn't be in a posititon to win this game, if we execute well.

This is one of the hardest games I've looked at this year to break down. I swear, my attitude on the game changes with every fleeting second. Comparing groups to groups, I see Bama having a slight advantage. But, like we've experienced all year long, it'll be a game decided in the 4th quarter.

The deciding factor, the way I see it today, is going to come down to special teams play.

I love it when we win vs Auburn...I HATE losing to UT.

Hello BAMA fans! Here's the low down and dirty (from a true vols fan) on the Tennessee tackle football team.

OFFENSE: Above average with senior leader QB Eric Ainge and big strong O-line. Vols receivers are not the standard NFL caliber receivers that Vol fans are used to watching, but Lucas Taylor (JR) can make big plays and WRs Josh Bristow (JR) and Austin Rogers (SO)have also made great catches this year. RBs Arian Foster (JR) and LaMarcus Coker (SO) and Montario Hardesty (SO) are the soul of the running game. Arian Foster being the starter and LaMarcus Coker being the fastest and the big play maker.

DEFENSE: Very young defense, but the talent is there.
Key players are DE Xavier Mitchell (SR), DT Domonte Bolden (JR), LB Jarod Mayo (JR) LB Rico McCoy (SO) and DB Jonathan Hefney (SR). Also punter Britton Colquitt (JR) is very good. Being so young the defense has played very inconsistent this year. IMO, if the defense plays the way they did against Florida, BAMA WINS. However, if the defense plays the way they did against Georgia, VOLS WIN. I just hope it's a close game and CBS regrets not televising this famed traditional rivarly.

Here is what we must do to put ourselves in a position to win this game.

(1) Do not give up explosive plays. UT will get yards on our defense, and they will score some points, but we must make them work for it.

(2) Be opportunistic. Take advantage of UT mistakes and don't give up 4th and 19's.

(3) put the ball in the endzone. We need 7, not 3.

(4) Control the ball and the clock - limit UT's opportunities

We need to eliminate huge plays, (ie: deep passes) and breakaway runs. If we keep them to nothing more than a steady slow march we can fight back with our defense.

That may be the John Madden analysis (obvious as can be) but I think this is what our guys need to keep in mind.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Score 1 more point than UT! :D

Ainge is good and our D is bad. :shock:

Ainge isn't that great. He really hasn't impressed me at all. He's not as good as Brodie was by a long shot. Just too inconsistent.

bamaupsman said:
To beat the Vols we will have to run the ball and keep them from running the ball.

There are still a few of us Gene Stallings disciples around.
:D :D :D

The Viles don't have the blazing speed that they've had in years past. I think we can lock up on their WR group in press coverage and go after Ainge. It will also be important for our offense to make first downs and stay on the field.

I think that we have to play the game on their end of the field. If we play like we did the first half of the FSU game, we're in trouble. We also can't play behind the yard markers. Getting our O in 3rd and manageable and putting their O in 3rd and long is going to be key. We must do a better job of blitzing on 1st and 2nd down as well, screen passes and quick passes have killed us on 3rd down blitzes all year. Getting a big play in special teams, or not giving up the big play (i.e. blocked punts or field goals) will help a lot as well.

psychojoe said:
bamaupsman said:
To beat the Vols we will have to run the ball and keep them from running the ball.

The Viles don't have the blazing speed that they've had in years past. I think we can lock up on their WR group in press coverage and go after Ainge. It will also be important for our offense to make first downs and stay on the field.

I think Bebes would have said that if we were playing a Mike Leach coached team.

Maybe he said it because it was a foregone conclusion teams would not be able to pass on us?

i don't see us winning this one for the simple reason that we don't seem to be able to get much pressure on opposing QBs with our DL.

anyone who's watched the Ainge kid has to have noticed 2 things... 1) he's really good when he has time 2) he's pretty bad when he's pressured. i don't think we'll bring the heat and in turn they are going to control the game.

the only variable that i can't account for is how well our DBs may match up to their WRs as opposed to years past where their WRs were always several steps ahead of our guys. if our corners can lock down, we have a chance to keep it close and hope for some luck.

jdpas29 said:
i don't see us winning this one for the simple reason that we don't seem to be able to get much pressure on opposing QBs with our DL.

anyone who's watched the Ainge kid has to have noticed 2 things... 1) he's really good when he has time 2) he's pretty bad when he's pressured. i don't think we'll bring the heat and in turn they are going to control the game.

the only variable that i can't account for is how well our DBs may match up to their WRs as opposed to years past where their WRs were always several steps ahead of our guys. if our corners can lock down, we have a chance to keep it close and hope for some luck.
Maybe we'll be able to get a few coverage sacks, enought to make a difference. I hope. 8)

We are a 1.5 point favorite (hey it ain't much) But where's the bama faith here?? We upset an arky team that everyone thought couldn't be done. If we come ready to play and our defense steps up, JPW stays calm and reads his recievers, we got em=)

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

psychojoe said:
bamaupsman said:

And ya gotta have solid special teams play.

Back
Top Bottom