| OT What do you cook on?

Traegers are for cheaters. You can set those with your damn phone. Buddy in Charlotte has won many BBQ championships over the last 25-30 years. Bought a Traeger and came to work bragging about it. I called him a phoney. Told him to listen to himself bragging how he could cool the entire butt using his phone. That’s not a real BBQ king!
Not trying to start the Man Card debate about smokers just curious what people have an like. But I promise you this if its worth eatin it aint cheatin!

Not trying to start the Man Card debate about smokers just curious what people have an like. But I promise you this if its worth eatin it aint cheatin!
I hear you man! I just like to bust my buddy’s chops because he’s got all the championship trophies and aprons and even a gold skillet hanging in his office. Blue ribbons everywhere. Pig statues. And he brags about smoking using an app. 🤣 He’s an easy target.

I couldn't barbecue if my life depended on it! I have tried over the years too. But the best I can do is hot dogs and hamburger. Now that doesn't mean I don't like to eat good BBQ! I do like watching you guy that does bbq.

Here is my rig. Primo XL shaped like an egg on it's side. Master built Smoker for a quantity of Meats like 6 Boston butts at a time, a Blackkstone grill for cooking a brunch or breakfast, and a big gas cooker for boiling green peanuts or frying a turkey. We cookout 3 times a week. You can keep the temperature exactly at 225 for hours on end on the Primo. I cook a brisket for 18 hours on indirect heat with smoke and it makes a fantastic tender treat. Mesquite wood is my favorite for beef and pecan wood for most pork. My mouth is watering right now.
20210903_145659.jpg

Here is my rig. Primo XL shaped like an egg on it's side. Master built Smoker for a quantity of Meats like 6 Boston butts at a time, a Blackkstone grill for cooking a brunch or breakfast, and a big gas cooker for boiling green peanuts or frying a turkey. We cookout 3 times a week. You can keep the temperature exactly at 225 for hours on end on the Primo. I cook a brisket for 18 hours on indirect heat with smoke and it makes a fantastic tender treat. Mesquite wood is my favorite for beef and pecan wood for most pork. My mouth is watering right now.
View attachment 18694
Nice setup!

Agree with you mesquite for beef - almost always. Pecan great for pork. Also use hickory a lot for pork and chicken. Alder for fish.

Pecan is where it's at. It has gotten harder to find in stores the last few years, so I guess more folks are figuring that out. But hickory and pecan are my must haves throughout the year. I always try to keep some mesquite, cherry, maple, and apple on hand too. Apple is very underrated. Cedar planks for salmon like @RollllTide! said.

My wife recently picked up a Chinese made cast iron thin light weight pan. Inside finished much smoother than the last Lodge I bought it was nitrided. It was last one on sale somewhere cheaply. I seasoned it like I would any other cast iron skillet and it is as slick as glass. I have an assortment of different types of pans for different things. Despise aluminum pots and pans. Use gas grill, cheap bullet smoker and stove. Brandani is the name of the skillet, $20 for an 11” skillet is a good buy.

Last edited:
Pecan is where it's at. It has gotten harder to find in stores the last few years, so I guess more folks are figuring that out. But hickory and pecan are my must haves throughout the year. I always try to keep some mesquite, cherry, maple, and apple on hand too. Apple is very underrated. Cedar planks for salmon like @RollllTide! said.
My neighbors all around me have pecan trees. I prefer apple with pork but do mix pecan with oak.

My neighbors all around me have pecan trees. I prefer apple with pork but do mix pecan with oak.

I'm allergic to oak so it's the one wood I don't use (though it is in some lump charcoal I use at times). My in laws had a huge pecan orchard behind their house but most of it got sold off to be cleared for housing. Was nice being able to grab some pecan wood there after storms though. I will mix pecan with hickory or apple a at times when doing pork.

My wife recently picked up a Chinese made cast iron thin light weight pan. Inside finished much smoother than the last Lodge I bought it was nitrided. It was last one on sale somewhere cheaply. I seasoned it like I would any other cast iron skillet and it is as slick as glass. I have an assortment of different types of pans for different things. Despise aluminum pots and pans. Use gas grill, cheap bullet smoker and stove. Brandani is the name of the skillet, $20 for an 11” skillet is a good buy
I've seen those light cast iron skillets but never tried them. Sounds like a good idea assuming they perform as well. How are they for cornbread?

When I was living in GA as a kid we bought barbeque from a place in TyTy between Albany and Tifton. He cooked butts with oak. Oak is the wood that was available. Hickory was north GA. Any tree that grows nuts is good for smoking.

Back
Top Bottom