| OT What do you cook on?

Bamaclam

Since its labor day and the start of the football season just curious what is your favorite rig for cooking on?

I'll Start:

Just got a Traeger Timberline 1300 and it rocks. Wanted something quick to cook on and still be able to smoke. Never was much of a pellet guy before but really like this thing.

Also have a Backwoods Competitor and a Backwoods Chubby. Love these but they take a lot of time to set up and get going for a short smoke or small amount of food. Great when we do competitions or cooking for the crew at work.

Last but not least and probably my favorite old stand buy is the Weber kettle grill.

Love to hear from everyone what they cook on.

Roll Tide!

Large Weber Smokey Mountain (ribs, boston butt, thanksgiving turkeys) & a Weber Genesis gas grill (burgers, dogs, most steaks with the sear station)

Weber has been my go to for years in large part that I can find reasonable replacement parts. Anything with heavy heat is going to deteriorate quickly & it comes down to who does the best job with supply chain.

Cast iron and the oven. I have a built in natural gas grill but it needs a ton of repairs I just never get around to doing. Mostly because it is a 1960's Arkla and the exact parts are hard to find. I keep saying I am going to remove the grill itself and replace it with another one, but I also never get around to that.

Also have a Backwoods Chubby.

Sorry, I had to chuckle at this.

I cook/smoke on a basic five burner grill and a Smoky Mountain, and inside I cook most things in a carbon steel skillet, which I love for even heating and non-stick without any spray or chemical coatings. Just wash them and dry them well, mostly like a cast iron skillet, and they are a joy. A buddy bought high end one for about $120 a few years ago, but I found a couple that have served me well from Cost Plus World Market, about $35 each. They outlast multiple coated skillets and you're not slowly ingesting whatever they contain. I know it's counterintuitive since I relish smoke laden foods, but I'm trying to get away from artificial coatings and containers that send a portion of themselves to you with every meal, leaning toward stainless steel and glass bowls, away from plastic.

I've used a number of different setups over the years. Had a Big Green Egg for decades. Had one of those big metal barrels with offset firebox and the chimney. Have also always had a Weber kettle.

The BGE is great for getting butts or turkeys done fairly quickly and deliciously. I used them for almost everything from like 1990 through 2010 or so. But they're just so big and heavy.

My son has a Grilla Chimp pellet smoker. He loves it. He and his family moved in with us a few years ago while their house was being built. So, I got to use his Chimp whenever I wanted to. I will say I do love the temperature control and accuracy. Great for very long cooks. I had thought about getting one until I used his for a few months. Decided that I prefer the flavor that chunk hardwood imparts rather than pellets. In other words - the very best BBQ I've had from a pellet grill doesn't come close in terms of FLAVOR to the the very best BBQ I've had using chunks of hardwood in a pit, smoker, etc.

I also have a sous vide setup. My son and I really got into that a few years ago. It is absolutely fantastic for some things to get an amazing texture with a perfect doneness that you just can't replicate with any other cooking method. Some examples are chicken breasts, thick pork chops, eggs, fish, corned beef, prime rib, THICK steaks. But not BBQ.

These days I find myself using the Weber more than ever. The thing is built like a tank. I "upgraded" to a Premium Performance model (the kind with the built-in table and storage container) about 15 years ago and the thing still looks almost new. It's not fancy - but it gets pretty much any job done. For grilling, it's a no-brainer. For smoking, I've had good luck using the Weber and the "snake" method of charcoal placement with hardwood chunks for flavor. Light one end and let it burn slow and steady. It's amazing how you can get consistent temperature over long cooks using this very simple technique.

Traegers are for cheaters. You can set those with your damn phone. Buddy in Charlotte has won many BBQ championships over the last 25-30 years. Bought a Traeger and came to work bragging about it. I called him a phoney. Told him to listen to himself bragging how he could cool the entire butt using his phone. That’s not a real BBQ king!

Have a Traeger that I use a lot and a Kamado Joe that I like too. I have a custom smoker from a company in Texas called Millworks that I use for big gatherings.

I absolutely love cooking, whether that be on the grill/smoker or in the kitchen

I’m using a kamado, but I’ve been thinking about getting a pellet. It seems like a long smoke might cost quite a bit more because of the cost of pellets. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to do a 10-12 hour smoke on a pellet grill?

Green egg and a Weber kettle. I use the Green egg for ribs, butts, hams, brisket, turkey, rib roasts, etc. and the Weber for steaks, burgers, chicken, etc. When we get done with a back yard landscaping project this fall I'm going to add a 36" Blackstone. At some point, I may add a pellet smoker... and while I agree with @Rolltide24 that using a pellet is like fishing with dynamite, it would make things easier at times on longer smokes/busy weekends. I really like my egg, but if and when something happens to it, I'll more than likely replace it with something along the lines of an Outlaw Smoker or some such. Would be nice to have a bit more room for things like whole briskets and full slabs of ribs.

I’m using a kamado, but I’ve been thinking about getting a pellet. It seems like a long smoke might cost quite a bit more because of the cost of pellets. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to do a 10-12 hour smoke on a pellet grill?
If you smoke low about a lb of pellets per hour. Pellets are around a dollar per pound. If you do a hot temp cook then maybe up to 3lb/hr of pellets.

Back
Top Bottom