| LIFE We need to pray for the victims of Hurricane Helene

Sobering. I can't speak to this personally, I can only empathize.

I can't help but think about the kids there. Their young lives were "rocked" dealing with the Covid bullshit. Then, they get a sense of normal life for a little while...only to have that all washed away.

Their schools? Gone. I heard an interview earlier from a teacher up there saying they had right at 30 teaches they don't know where they are.

I'm not a big fan of free breakfast and lunch for kids in school. I believe there is a portion of those meals that fall back to lazy parents; on my dime. BUT, here. They don't have that food anymore.

And here I am sitting here bitching about having to spend a few thousands dollars on replacing a privacy fence...with food in the fridge.

Sobering.

There's a part of this video I find funny. It's not the comments. It's the older fella waving his phone, in front of another phone, trying to block the video.

What do you think are you accomplishing here? It's like trying to use a toothpick to block the sun.

Ugh.

We need to add a sad face emoji to the "like" options for cases like that...
I actually looked at that a few hours ago. Then I started staring at the floor thinking about all of this. This one hits home in more than a few ways.

There was a couple that came into both bars I was involved with. It dawned on me last night...they are in NC this time of the year. I called a few friends today. Then, sent a text to their daughter. They don't have a clue.

These were not people I "hung out with." Hell, they came in to hit the beer specials: like $1 bullshit. (One of these days I'll share the story of the blind bucket.) BUT! They were there every day they were in town. Just sitting there, drinking beer, and playing trivia on the TV.

My aunt passed a few years ago. She had a condo in Asheville. According to my cousins, that doesn't exist any more. It's weird today, talking with my mom about this, that her sister would have been swept away if she were alive.

And I'm bitching about my fence.

I actually looked at that a few hours ago. Then I started staring at the floor thinking about all of this. This one hits home in more than a few ways.

There was a couple that came into both bars I was involved with. It dawned on me last night...they are in NC this time of the year. I called a few friends today. Then, sent a text to their daughter. They don't have a clue.

These were not people I "hung out with." Hell, they came in to hit the beer specials: like $1 bullshit. (One of these days I'll share the story of the blind bucket.) BUT! They were there every day they were in town. Just sitting there, drinking beer, and playing trivia on the TV.

My aunt passed a few years ago. She had a condo in Asheville. According to my cousins, that doesn't exist any more. It's weird today, talking with my mom about this, that her sister would have been swept away if she were alive.

And I'm bitching about my fence.

I had forgotten that I have a cousin that just moved to Asheville from the Opelika area a little over a year ago after she got married... saw an update on their situation on fb earlier this week and then remembered... They had some minor water damage and lots of trees down but nothing major, certainly nothing compared to others in the area. I think they live just outside of town. Still no power as far as I'm aware, which would make sense.

I had forgotten that I have a cousin that just moved to Asheville from the Opelika area a little over a year ago after she got married... saw an update on their situation on fb earlier this week and then remembered... They had some minor water damage and lots of trees down but nothing major, certainly nothing compared to others in the area. I think they live just outside of town. Still no power as far as I'm aware, which would make sense.
I think I mentioned it earlier. Not sure. My neighbor bragging about "I didn't have cig butts blown out of the ash tray."

Earlier today I heard a nail gun. I wondered where, who, why? It was that neighbor. There was a guy on their roof replacing and nailing down shingles. So, you know me...I have to say something. It's a God given talent/curse.

They had a branch, about the size of a broom handle, through the roof like a spear. Here's where it gets weird.

I didn't know my fence was blown down until another neighbor called. He called me, to tell them. "Hey, your roof is phucked up."

They have this "entertainment room" upstairs and the branch was through one of the chairs. A movie room. Chairs, screen, and all. Also, dead if anyone was sitting there.

I walked up there with the guy today looking at the chairs. Literally, luxury out of a movie theater, right? The only thing I said was, Die Hard.

Back
Top Bottom