| FTBL UPDATE 6/1: Tony Mitchell has been reinstated

Let's see.... A football fan said he better not be on team ..

Saban will say he's still on team and will be given every chance to redeem himself.

I think I'll go with Saban
Saban typically requires the offender to meet certain criteria before they’re officially back on the team. Nick believes in redemption. However, Mitchell will be on a short leash.

Wouldnt be on MY team
As far as I would be ..... he could get his second chance elsewhere

Not at the UNIVERSITY Of ALABAMA

@50+yeartidefan I am old school like you in a lot of ways, but I disagree with you on this one.

Coaches have been giving second chances for a long time. I remember David Palmer getting one, and making the most of it.

Several years back, @Brandon Van de Graaff along with @doemasters and I were at the coaches show in Tuscaloosa. A fan in the crowd ask a question along the lines of players getting in trouble and coach said something that stuck out to me.

He said kids today grow up differently than I did, or even a generation or two behind me. Things that you and I know to be wrong or right are not necessarily taught to kids this day and age. Due to certain situations, kids coming to school are not all at the same level of maturity or understanding. CNS said that part of his job now is teaching that to kids. Being a father, in general, or a father away from home. It is all part of his mantra that he wants men to come out of the program to be better people because they came to Alabama not just football players.

Remember Jimmy Johns?. Good article about him graduating a couple weeks ago.

Let's see.... A football fan said he better not be on team ..

Saban will say he's still on team and will be given every chance to redeem himself.

I think I'll go with Saban

You wonder why you see repeat offenders? Yes, because they are given immediate opportunities to resume their current life and trajectory without missing a beat or feeling the pressure. Like a few extra sprints and bullshit classes are going to get him to stop smoking pot and hanging out with his crew that deals.

I believe in second chances, but he should earn his way back from D-II ball and learn a valuable lesson. Same goes for tge idiots in Athens that keep getting speeding tickets after that wreck that killed two and involved their top draft pick that had previously been stopped for speeding. These laws being broke weren't jaywalking or seat belt tickets. They were both instances that could have killed innocent people. Look no further than the Miles case.

Zero morals in society anymore.

Considering this was basically a plea deal, I'd think a lot of that "criteria" you mention has already been completed and was submitted to the court as part of the deal.
Only the tip of the iceberg. He will be required to attend class and “extra” study hall to achieve a specified GPA. He may have some extra conditioning (although CNS tends to focus on more character-building activity than physical punishment). CNS will be focusing on teaching him the correct behavior and how his behavior impacts others.

If you wanted him off the team.. then I guess....

Alabama junior offensive lineman Cam Robinson and junior defensive back Laurence “Hootie” Jones have been arrested on possession and weapons charges.

According to the Monroe (Louisiana) Police Department, Robinson and Jones were found parked in their vehicle in Forsythe Park after hours, where officers recovered a bag of marijuana along with two handguns – the latter is believed to be stolen. Both were arrested and booked in the Ouachita Parish Correctional Center and have since been released.

Only the tip of the iceberg. He will be required to attend class and “extra” study hall to achieve a specified GPA. He may have some extra conditioning (although CNS tends to focus on more character-building activity than physical punishment). CNS will be focusing on teaching him the correct behavior and how his behavior impacts others.
Since he missed the spring camp. He will be practicing with the team through workouts this summer. You won't hear anything about him until August so in my opinion, if Saban doesn't mention him between now and then, it's internal punishment and nothing more.

I think it's crazy that some of you want him off the team of a dumb mistake. I bet you didn't know what I did when I was 19 and 20.... if you knew... you would want me in jail. LOL.

but it sounds like ya'll want him off the team because of excessive speeding?

For me it's more than that. It's the speeding along with the drugs. It's the blatant disregard for anyone else around them or where they were traveling. How would you feel if you were the father of the girl Ruggs killed? The guy that had a red dot laser from a gun pointed by Ja Morant's crew? What if Mitchell and his buddy drove 141 mph on a road you live on and where your kids play? This is the one time they were caught, not necessarily the only time they've done it. Has drug violence not caused enough heartache and issues in society that you see it as "only pot"? If he's willing to be selfish enough to commit these types of crimes, how do you think he would be as a teammate and ambassador of the University of Alabama? I don't want my money going to pay for someone like that to attend school and not care and live his life like that, something I disagree with and even more that the law disagrees with.

As I initially said, make him earn it back with a year at community college in East Mississippi instead of making him run some bullshit sprints and taking a pointless class that isn't designed to change who you are or your character. No difference than making Wells Fargo pay fines for screwing over their customers with overdraft fees for years and making tons of money. They get fined, and then get popped for predatory lending. Get popped there and get caught racially discriminating with mortgages. Fines are clearly not working, and I see a correlation here where the punishment will never deter a future kid. Simply look at Georgia's receiver that just got popped for excessive speeding and reckless endangerment. What, six months after fellow teammate and staff died, and all the issues dealing with Jalen Carter. Make a statement and a real difference in their lives, not just enough to keep them playing ball for you so no one else can have them.

Last edited:
@50+yeartidefan I am old school like you in a lot of ways, but I disagree with you on this one.

Coaches have been giving second chances for a long time. I remember David Palmer getting one, and making the most of it.

Several years back, @Brandon Van de Graaff along with @doemasters and I were at the coaches show in Tuscaloosa. A fan in the crowd ask a question along the lines of players getting in trouble and coach said something that stuck out to me.

He said kids today grow up differently than I did, or even a generation or two behind me. Things that you and I know to be wrong or right are not necessarily taught to kids this day and age. Due to certain situations, kids coming to school are not all at the same level of maturity or understanding. CNS said that part of his job now is teaching that to kids. Being a father, in general, or a father away from home. It is all part of his mantra that he wants men to come out of the program to be better people because they came to Alabama not just football players.

Remember Jimmy Johns?. Good article about him graduating a couple weeks ago.
Certainly.....i see all that... but believe there has to be a line in sand...
There are things the "kids do". I did....maybe u...bad things too...DWI...alcohol...weed ( i didnt do that)......

But ...draw the line..cross the line..."distribution of drugs" ...is one ...to me .... that crosses my line...if he was charged with such...or whatever...
Driving extremely fast....which i did in my vette... aint smart.... but.... so its who draws line i guess...

Now...i bring up this....the player that hit the tennessee fan after the game in knoxville...
That's another crossing the line .... me n @BamaFan334 agree on most things but not on this.... i suspend that player.....i thoght that crossed the line...
Point?
So even as me and you agree on most...we can disagree on others without an issue...

Last edited:
Since he missed the spring camp. He will be practicing with the team through workouts this summer. You won't hear anything about him until August so in my opinion, if Saban doesn't mention him between now and then, it's internal punishment and nothing more.

I think it's crazy that some of you want him off the team of a dumb mistake. I bet you didn't know what I did when I was 19 and 20.... if you knew... you would want me in jail. LOL.
Might....
But then again ....
As Bear use to tell players....
"You arent just another student" to his players
Or something to that degree

Back
Top Bottom