| FTBL UPDATE 6/1: Tony Mitchell has been reinstated

That's lot of assumptions going on...... šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
"Another comment I'm seeing here that he's associated with a drug dealer? I'm 42 years old and I know plenty of people who's a drug dealer, young and old and I speak to them at gas stations, mall, restaurant, or when one of us is in the area. That doesn't mean I'm associated with him. I have a childhood friend who sells drugs. We grew up together. we did sports together. he was at my wedding"

Full transcript:

alabama logo
Subscribe
login

Alabama DB Tony Mitchell makes first public comments since March arrest
Charlie Potter
ā€¢
about 1 hour
Alabama Football DB Tony Mitchell
Mickey Welsh / USA TODAY Sports
Alabama defensive back Tony Mitchell on Sunday made his first public comments since he was arrested in March for marijuana possession and since placed on probation for three years.

ā€œI just want to start off by thanking God for not just being there for me but also for slowing me down,ā€ said Mitchell in a video shared on his Twitter account. ā€œEven though this situation was beyond hard for me, I find joy in knowing that if God didnā€™t stop where he did, something much bigger could have happened. I also want to thank Alabama football for seeing my potential and giving me a second chance.

ā€œI am grateful for everyone who supported me through this hard time. Every day, just thinking the possibility of it all being over with devastated me. I didnā€™t know if I would get to play football again, but I continued to work out and stay close with the Lord and those who love me unconditionally.

ā€œDuring these times, it helped me to keep my mind off it, but when I was by myself, looking at social media and what everybody had to say about it, it just felt like it happened again. I couldnā€™t sleep at night. Everyone is always going to have something to say about you, whether youā€™re right or wrong.

ā€œBut I appreciate my family and my dad for always being there for me and the constant advice, my mom for always making time to talk to me and my grandma for always being there for me since I was young and all my events and games. And Byron (Deā€™Vinner) also being a mentor for me and all the college trips we went on all the time. My trainers, Donnie Lee and Mike McCoy, for pushing me to train hard and helping me take my game to another level.

ā€œI was doing things knowing I shouldnā€™t to try to fit in, but not everybody is your friend. And I learned this when I looked around and saw that our morals didnā€™t align. To all the athletes here tonight, just keep pursuing your dreams. Godā€™s got a designated path for you, and all your talents are from the Lord. Do not let anyone or anything distract you from your purpose, and keep a small circle of people that truly love and care about you. Always work hard because it will pay off in the end. Thank you.ā€

"Another comment I'm seeing here that he's associated with a drug dealer? I'm 42 years old and I know plenty of people who's a drug dealer, young and old and I speak to them at gas stations, mall, restaurant, or when one of us is in the area. That doesn't mean I'm associated with him. I have a childhood friend who sells drugs. We grew up together. we did sports together. he was at my wedding"

How is that a lot of assumptions then if he was invited to your wedding? That's a close friend or family if they are at one of the most important days of your life. You're admitting to being associated with multiple. So where are the assumptions?

How is that a lot of assumptions then if he was invited to your wedding? That's a close friend or family if they are at one of the most important days of your life. You're admitting to being associated with multiple. So where are the assumptions?
1. Ummm co workers and distant family and friends were there. It was 150 plus at the wedding. So where did you get the idea that I admitted to associated with multiple dealers? I never said that. I even quoted what i said . I said I know few ppl out there that's selling drugs does not mean I make efforts to be associated with them

I never said I invited him..... I left out that part for a reason. This person is dating a friend of mine, which I didn't know at that time and he was her plus for the wedding. So, again that doesn't mean I'm associated with him. We all have something in common. Past, present and future....

2. You said he was in the wedding. He wasn't. He was at my wedding.

This goes back to Tony and his situation. We don't know what was going on before they got pulled over. We don't know what his friends had in mind. We don't know if Tony got caught up in the moment and etc. We can only go by what was in the reports and what Tony said on Twitter. There's lot of assumptions going on...

Only thing that should matter in this thread is that we should hope Tony will make better decisions going forward and continue to succeed. His legal situation is resolved. He's back on team. He has completed what's required of him. Time to turn the page and start new chapter.

1. Ummm co workers and distant family and friends were there. It was 150 plus at the wedding. So where did you get the idea that I admitted to associated with multiple dealers? I never said that. I even quoted what i said . I said I know few ppl out there that's selling drugs does not mean I make efforts to be associated with them

I never said I invited him..... I left out that part for a reason. This person is dating a friend of mine, which I didn't know at that time and he was her plus for the wedding. So, again that doesn't mean I'm associated with him. We all have something in common. Past, present and future....

2. You said he was in the wedding. He wasn't. He was at my wedding.

This goes back to Tony and his situation. We don't know what was going on before they got pulled over. We don't know what his friends had in mind. We don't know if Tony got caught up in the moment and etc. We can only go by what was in the reports and what Tony said on Twitter. There's lot of assumptions going on...

Only thing that should matter in this thread is that we should hope Tony will make better decisions going forward and continue to succeed. His legal situation is resolved. He's back on team. He has completed what's required of him. Time to turn the page and start new chapter.

Semantics at this point. I'm not associating with folks that deal drugs or hanging out with friends of friends that deal drugs. I keep a close circle, which isn't everybody's cup of tea, I understand that, but I feel it also keeps me from getting around people I don't trust.

As far as Tony goes, he's been given a second chance, we'll see how he does. The whole "God" conversation is always the initial go to for people that know they need to win over people again and rings hollow. Where was this belief in God while you were sinning and breaking the law? You don't get to pick and choose when you live for the Lord if you're a true believer. Yes, we all fall short of the Word, but blatantly breaking the law, and voluntary, isn't something that can just be forgiven because you start bring God into the conversation. As has been said by others, if he isn't a big time recruit and football player, is he getting this same treatment? How many other 18-23 year old youths has Saban fought for and gotten out of trouble and given a second chance??? It's because of what he can do for Saban, not just because Saban is a dirm believer in these kind of second chances. Lets be real about that part of it all. We'll see how he does.

He's dealing drugs, he's not a good guy, no matter what you or anyone wants to think.

There's the assumption with more than a tinge of arrogance.

I wouldn't want to knowingly being around a person that is killing off our society.

And there's the hyperbole.

Try this on for size:

Do you know 81 other than messages posted here? No. None of us do.
Do you know the guy he's referring to? No. None of us do.

Based on no knowledge what position do any of us have the right to take? Let's make a judgment based on something we don't know, about someone we also don't know?

Do you see where the problem arises?

Example: I know a lady who deals in cannabis. Do some of her clients smoke/ingest recreationally? Sure.

But, her primary client base is found with those dealing with cancer, fighting the side effects from chemo, or dealing with Parkinson's.

Is it legal? No.

Is she a bad person just because she sells weed, edibles, etc? HELL to the NO.

I know people who deal with her for pain management. Their other option is opioids. Is she a bad person for supplying a natural pain control substance versus a chemical, dangerously addictive pain management routine?

There's the assumption with more than a tinge of arrogance.

And there's the hyperbole.

Try this on for size:

Do you know 81 other than messages posted here? No. None of us do.
Do you know the guy he's referring to? No. None of us do.

Based on no knowledge what position do any of us have the right to take? Let's make a judgment based on something we don't know, about someone we also don't know?

Do you see where the problem arises?

Example: I know a lady who deals in cannabis. Do some of her clients smoke/ingest recreationally? Sure.

But, her primary client base is found with those dealing with cancer, fighting the side effects from chemo, or dealing with Parkinson's.

Is it legal? No.

Is she a bad person just because she sells weed, edibles, etc? HELL to the NO.

I know people who deal with her for pain management. Their other option is opioids. Is she a bad person for supplying a natural pain control substance versus a chemical, dangerously addictive pain management routine?
I have no problem with regulated legal sales ā€¦Just a problem with the scum that sells illegal and tainted products..They ones that donā€™t pay ā€œtheir fair share of taxesā€ and still accept handouts from our so called governmentā€¦ Then when they get caught they whine, moan and say itā€™s racismā€¦

As far as Tony goes, he's been given a second chance, we'll see how he does. The whole "God" conversation is always the initial go to for people that know they need to win over people again and rings hollow. Where was this belief in God while you were sinning and breaking the law? You don't get to pick and choose when you live for the Lord if you're a true believer. Yes, we all fall short of the Word, but blatantly breaking the law, and voluntary, isn't something that can just be forgiven because you start bring God into the conversation. As has been said by others, if he isn't a big time recruit and football player, is he getting this same treatment? How many other 18-23 year old youths has Saban fought for and gotten out of trouble and given a second chance??? It's because of what he can do for Saban, not just because Saban is a dirm believer in these kind of second chances. Lets be real about that part of it all. We'll see how he does.
You don't get to pick and choose when you live for the Lord if you're a true believer.
That's the thing. You do have the ability, and right, to pick and choose: it's called free will.

Ya know Casey, the first thing that crossed my mind when reading this were those standing around looking, and mocking, a certain woman at the well. "Let those who are without sin throw the first stone" vibe. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

That's the thing. You do have the ability, and right, to pick and choose: it's called free will.

Ya know Casey, the first thing that crossed my mind when reading this were those standing around looking, and mocking, a certain woman at the well. "Let those who are without sin throw the first stone" vibe. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Actually the woman at the well was living with a guy who was not her husband. She had also had several others that Jesus knew about. In ā€œcast the first stoneā€ story, the woman was actually caught in adultery by the ā€œreligiousā€ and dragged before Jesus for judgment. Point well made though.

Actually the woman at the well was living with a guy who was not her husband. She had also had several others that Jesus knew about. In ā€œcast the first stoneā€ story, the woman was actually caught in adultery by the ā€œreligiousā€ and dragged before Jesus for judgment. Point well made though.
Growing up in a independent, fundamental Baptist household I can say, with no doubt, I've read/heard the story at least 34 times...if we figure 17 years and twice a year. ;)

I'd dare say the public opinion of her at the time, versus that of a guy like Tony, is worse.

That said, I'm a judgmental SOB when it comes to adultery, so this is a fine line I'm drawing.

Basically, Jesusā€™s last statement was asking the Lord to forgive us all ā€œ because none of us have any idea what we are doingā€,,

One thing I've always wondered about that story. What exactly does it mean that they "caught" her in adultery? Were they some kind of peeping toms looking in a bedroom window? Walk in on the both of them? Was she the married one or the man? If it was the man, why wasn't he brought to the Temple?

Last edited:

Agreed. I get it. No one is perfect, but if we all turn a blind eye simply because of that nothing would ever be accomplished and murderers would be running the streets as very few attempt to rehabilitate them. I'm an eye for an eye kind of guy.

If I can grow up poor and without much, get myself through college and persevere through the bad grades and drunk nights to succeed, buy my cars and houses without the help of anyone and doing anything illegal, then anyone can. You don't have to break the law or do illegal activity to make it in this world, especially when you most likely have NIL paving your future at 17/18 years old. I've always been a Team player kind of guy that was very selfless. It has always served me well.

Last edited:
If I can grow up poor and without much, get myself through college and persevere through the bad grades and drunk nights to succeed, buy my cars and houses without the help of anyone and doing anything illegal, then anyone can. You don't have to break the law or do illegal activity to make it in this world, especially when you most likely have NIL paving your future at 17/18 years old. I've always been a Team player kind of guy that was very selfless. It has always served me well.
I'd argue there's not a big difference in the number of people who are looking for that quick buch and others who just want a quarter of weed free so they'll see the other three out of an ounce.

You'll see people label anything that's not of a liberal lean as MAGA. It's too big of an umbrella. That's the same feeling I get from this thread: a "one glove fits all."

I'd argue there's not a big difference in the number of people who are looking for that quick buch and others who just want a quarter of weed free so they'll see the other three out of an ounce.

You'll see people label anything that's not of a liberal lean as MAGA. It's too big of an umbrella. That's the same feeling I get from this thread: a "one glove fits all."

I understand that, but I like throwing out my growth as a person out there so people don't think I'm some entitled white guy that was born into money and opportunities. My dad was a high school drop out and my momma was a bank teller. Zero ambition from either to make much of themselves, so you can imagine the amount of support I had when I even wanted to go to college, much less when I made the decision to leave the state and attend Alabama. With so many negative people in my ear I still managed to use my head and instincts to make the best decisions for my family and me and we are doing better than any of them had ever thought I could do. My athletic ability helped me a lot with building my mindset and determination, but in the end it took good decisions and analysis to get me through. Trust me, if I can do it, some black kid from the slums (not sure what Tony comes from, just stating another struggling poor kid can do it) can do it as well.

Back
Top Bottom