| RECRUIT UA recruit, DE Tyreke Smith: "I hope I don't get killed for being black today."

Should you ever get pulled over, watch the cop as he/she approaches your window. They always put a palm print on a prominent spot to help in identifying their killer. Dwell on that for a minute and think what that does for your mental health.

Maybe it's just me, treat me respectfully and I'll reciprocate. I don't care what your job is. I've gotten older and have lost some of the piss and vinegar I've had most of my life. I've only had two negative experiences with a cops in probably 20 times or so that I've been pulled over. I have a heavy foot...

I do realize they are in a tough spot, having to make quick decisions on the fly. Last thing I want to do is get shot by some trigger happy cop. I do my best to make them feel as safe as possible when I get pulled over.

They always put a palm print on a prominent spot to help in identifying their killer.

I see a large number wearing skin tight, black latex type gloves.

The policeman never knows

Matt and I were talking around this subject the other day, but from a different point. One thing the policeman never knows is what the person in the car is thinking. What's their state of mind?

IE: The video I mentioned about the shooting in Minnesota. When Matt and I were talking about this my first question was about what the girl was thinking. Within seconds she's posting on Facebook--I think it was the Facebook Live option, but don't hold me to that--images of him and talking about the shooting.

How does a person immediately go to "I need to put this on my Facebook page?"

If her thinking process is that bizarre, and it is/was, what's going on with the others in the car?

The policeman never knows.

Matt and I were talking around this subject the other day, but from a different point. One thing the policeman never knows is what the person in the car is thinking. What's their state of mind?

IE: The video I mentioned about the shooting in Minnesota. When Matt and I were talking about this my first question was about what the girl was thinking. Within seconds she's posting on Facebook--I think it was the Facebook Live option, but don't hold me to that--images of him and talking about the shooting.

If her thinking process is that bizarre, and it is/was, what's going on with the others in the car?

I could not agree more. I have no doubt her thought was that she needed to get it on Facebook so she could become a viral sensation and also get it on camera so she could sue when the lawyers come knocking on her door salivating for the opportunity. Even though the cops did this, I think I would still freaking call 911 and attempt to help my loved one, not see it as a financial opportunity or for propaganda.

I saw the dashcam video with the cop mic'ed up and it is disturbing. I'm sure you all have seen it as well. The officer tells him why he has pulled him over and asks for his information, the guy tells him that he is carrying. This is where things went 0-150 mph in a blur. The officer tells him to stop and not reach for the weapon. Right here is where I start questioning the driver. Why didn't you stop as instructed? Why did you continue reaching? Regardless of whether you were reaching for the weapon or reaching for your license. You put yourself in danger, your girlfriend, the kids in danger, and you have put the officer in the position of making a split second decision that will likely determine whether someone dies or not. If the officer hesitates and the driver does indeed draw his weapon, what are the likely results? A dead officer and a pursuit that may likely end with multiple injured and a few more dead.
Like @planomateo said, I too have a heavy foot and have been approached by my share of officers. Back in my early 20's, I would get smart and show an asshole-like attitude. Now, I try to be as cooperative as possible because I know these guys are doing a job to try and keep people safe and at the end of the day, they have a family at home to see.
I've always thought that when these kids today take drivers ed, why not have officers come in and speak to these kids and tell them what are things that can turn a routine stop into a nightmare.

I can't speak on other peoples encounters with police officers. In the span of two weeks I had 3 very different scenarios play out......with the same cop. (What are the chances) I will add that each time there were different variables in the situation.

1st encounter.
11pm on a Friday night. I'm leaving work. Not speeding, because I was sitting at a traffic light. Cop passes going in the opposite direction.... Turns around and gets behind me and immediately pulls me over. Out of habit I lower all windows (because I have tinted windows) and turn my interior lights on. Cop approaches drivers side and his first words are keep your hands where I can see them. (No problem, its dark out.). Next comment is have you had anything to drink or any other substance..... Odd but whatever. No sir, I'm just leaving work heading home. As he scans inside of my car. He then says well I pulled you over because your license plate lights are out or too dim. (Those lights are LED, but could be out. So no big deal) Do you have your license, registration and insurance? I provide it. He writes the information down. And tells me to get them fixed and leaves. I get home check the lights and they are working just fine)

2nd Encounter
I'm riding with a friend/co worker leaving from a bar after a MMA fight. (About 2am) He's driving. Leaving the bar he turns onto the main road and we get maybe a half mile up the road and a cop pulls him over. He lowers his driver side window....(out of habit, I lower my side). Cop approaches and says excuse me sir I pulled you over because you dont have your headlights on. Have you had anything to drink tonight? He says no. Cop responds with do me a favor and turn your headlights on and drive safe. And leaves.

3rd encounter

I'm leaving a party on a Saturday night. leaving a neighborhood I see two cop cars sitting near a stop sign. No worries from me I haven't done anything. I turn out and one of the cop cars gets behind me. Follows me for a couple of blocks and then pulls me over. Approaches and asked if ive had anything to drink and asked for the normal documents. No sir I haven't been drinking and provide what he asks for. He goes back to his car comes back and then tells me "to be honest I pulled you over because wrong car wrong neighborhood". and then questioned why I was there. Then told me, "you're military so you should know to make better decisions" I dont want to see you out again tonight.

1st encounter I was driving my 2002 GMC Yukon with tinted windows and rims.

2nd encounter my friend had a 2012 Tacoma

3rd encounter I was driving my 2010 Mercedes Benz ML350

I don't know how I'd respond if I got to know a cop for silly stops. I'm sure I'd give him and earful at some point, probably wouldn't do any good...

(tangent: Speaking of MMA, Cody Garbrandt (coach on TUF25) is the whiniest guy I think I've ever heard. Holy crap.)

I can't speak on other peoples encounters with police officers. In the span of two weeks I had 3 very different scenarios play out......with the same cop. (What are the chances) I will add that each time there were different variables in the situation.

1st encounter.
11pm on a Friday night. I'm leaving work. Not speeding, because I was sitting at a traffic light. Cop passes going in the opposite direction.... Turns around and gets behind me and immediately pulls me over. Out of habit I lower all windows (because I have tinted windows) and turn my interior lights on. Cop approaches drivers side and his first words are keep your hands where I can see them. (No problem, its dark out.). Next comment is have you had anything to drink or any other substance..... Odd but whatever. No sir, I'm just leaving work heading home. As he scans inside of my car. He then says well I pulled you over because your license plate lights are out or too dim. (Those lights are LED, but could be out. So no big deal) Do you have your license, registration and insurance? I provide it. He writes the information down. And tells me to get them fixed and leaves. I get home check the lights and they are working just fine)

2nd Encounter
I'm riding with a friend/co worker leaving from a bar after a MMA fight. (About 2am) He's driving. Leaving the bar he turns onto the main road and we get maybe a half mile up the road and a cop pulls him over. He lowers his driver side window....(out of habit, I lower my side). Cop approaches and says excuse me sir I pulled you over because you dont have your headlights on. Have you had anything to drink tonight? He says no. Cop responds with do me a favor and turn your headlights on and drive safe. And leaves.

3rd encounter

I'm leaving a party on a Saturday night. leaving a neighborhood I see two cop cars sitting near a stop sign. No worries from me I haven't done anything. I turn out and one of the cop cars gets behind me. Follows me for a couple of blocks and then pulls me over. Approaches and asked if ive had anything to drink and asked for the normal documents. No sir I haven't been drinking and provide what he asks for. He goes back to his car comes back and then tells me "to be honest I pulled you over because wrong car wrong neighborhood". and then questioned why I was there. Then told me, "you're military so you should know to make better decisions" I dont want to see you out again tonight.

Maybe a lawnmower would be better. ;)

1st encounter.

2nd Encounter

3rd encounter

So when you refer to yourself as MrChase, you ain't kidding.

My brother (best friend, but we're more family than friends) is a cop as are several friends and had them read this thread and their opinions were all the same and it was....

They don't care what color a person is their life isn't more meaningful and important than the officer's.

Some cops are pricks, but almost 100% of the time a bad run in is held against every cop in the country.

They're going home at the end of their shift and if a person stopped wants to then comply and not do anything stupid

Their final opinion was legal gun owners carrying is a must, but legal or not if they tell a person don't touch it and you continue to reach the stop is going to end badly for everyone involved.

My brother (best friend, but we're more family than friends) is a cop as are several friends and had them read this thread and their opinions were all the same and it was....

They don't care what color a person is their life isn't more meaningful and important than the officer's.

Some cops are pricks, but almost 100% of the time a bad run in is held against every cop in the country.

They're going home at the end of their shift and if a person stopped wants to then comply and not do anything stupid

Their final opinion was legal gun owners carrying is a must, but legal or not if they tell a person don't touch it and you continue to reach the stop is going to end badly for everyone involved.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom