| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know this is a random thought, but with all this AI/machine learing/simulation technology, I've often thought it would be a worthwhile investment for a coaching staff to hire a bunch of autistic nerds/professors to develop some type of football AI system that analyzes the probability of future plays based on certain variables.

It's like wargame technology but for football.
Alabama has been using similar technology for several years now.

I'm not surprised. Would love to see how it works

About 15-20 years ago companies started hoping on the football analytics train... they all still do, but they'd set up at all the coaching conventions and display and sell their products. Even down in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, they'd have booths set up in the team hotel where all the NFL coaches, scouts, and front office people stayed to show them how it worked and try and sell them on it. XOS Systems was the most popular one at first, not sure if they still are. But everyone is using the stuff to some degree, even if it's just a couple of in-house geeks charting stuff themselves and plugging it into Excel.

Alabama has been using similar technology for several years now.
When Finebaum was still based in B'ham, he would have all of the old greats on from time to time. Gene Stallings, Pat Dye, etc.

I remember some candid interviews he had with Bill Oliver and they discussed a variety of topics. Brother was not a big fan of the computer systems and liked to do stuff old school. Looking for chinks in the armor via the naked eye and not relying on some megabyte contraption to tell him what to look for. I think running game simulation and having it to look for tendencies via "the algorithm" is the norm now.

In an interview, I heard Dale Earnhardt say the same thing. It was the hardest part of his job, late in his career, to accept what the computer was telling him verses what he "felt" while driving. He did admit that the computer was right, but he didn't like it.

When Finebaum was still based in B'ham, he would have all of the old greats on from time to time. Gene Stallings, Pat Dye, etc.

I remember some candid interviews he had with Bill Oliver and they discussed a variety of topics. Brother was not a big fan of the computer systems and liked to do stuff old school. Looking for chinks in the armor via the naked eye and not relying on some megabyte contraption to tell him what to look for. I think running game simulation and having it to look for tendencies via "the algorithm" is the norm now.

In an interview, I heard Dale Earnhardt say the same thing. It was the hardest part of his job, late in his career, to accept what the computer was telling him verses what he "felt" while driving. He did admit that the computer was right, but he didn't like it.
Yup. Its a two way street. If the tech is programed/engineered with faulty parameters, it can lead to disastrous results (Chernobyl disaster comes to mind). However, even if it is still programmed correctly, faulty human intuition can mislead individuals. You see this in commercial aviation incidents sadly. In 2002, a 757 collided with a Russian TU-154 over Germany at over 30,000 feet. Why? Even though the Russian pilots received a collision advisory on their instruments to pull up to avoid impact with the 757, they decided to descend based on the instructions of an air traffic controller who instructed them to descend. What the air traffic controller didn't know was that the pilots in the 757 had also received a collision advisory on their instruments as well, and their advisory was to descend. The 757 pilots followed the computerized advisory, and with both aircraft descending at the same time, they collided. Had the Russian pilots listened to the instruction of their anti-collision instrument to climb, the incident never happens. It's likely that they put too much trust into what the air traffic controller was telling them to do.

For the life of me, I can’t get over the fans’ fascination with Dan Mullen. I’m well versed with what he did with Tebow and Preskott and even Trask. I also saw him implode in the sidelines and practically kill the UF program in his last year. I’m more than happy that he put it out there that he wasn’t interested.
Undeniably a great offensive coach, and what he was able to accomplish at a place like Mississippi St is an impressive achievement (at least to me it is). Had success at Florida as well, but that program has been so inconsistent since Meyer walked out on them. He had an awful last year there, but he'll be back as a HC eventually somewhere. I want Bama to get Lebby, but I would've taken Mullen(not happening now) as a second choice.

Undeniably a great offensive coach, and what he was able to accomplish at a place like Mississippi St is an impressive achievement (at least to me it is). Had success at Florida as well, but that program has been so inconsistent since Meyer walked out on them. He had an awful last year there, but he'll be back as a HC eventually somewhere. I want Bama to get Lebby, but I would've taken Mullen(not happening now) as a second choice.
Look how UGA throttled him and what we did to him during his time at Miss State. I don’t want a heavy QB run scheme in my offense. If Saban brought him in to consult with the passing game, sure.
Give me Lebby or Brady and let’s call it a day.

Look how UGA throttled him and what we did to him during his time at Miss State. I don’t want a heavy QB run scheme in my offense. If Saban brought him in to consult with the passing game, sure.
You're right, he was in the losing end of most those games. However, he's had multiple chances to beat Alabama, could never finish.... but he coached them up to that point. And I've brought this up before, Mullens shown be will adapt his offense to what he has. Look at that 2020 team he had, top 5 passing team in the country, and I believe they put up 45+ points that season. He also schemed the shit out of Georgia that same season as well, and put up 44 points against one of the best defensive teams in the country. Same with Alabama that year, put up 46 points, and put his team in a situation to win the game. Had he been interested in the job, I'm confident it would've looked like that.

God. Please be true.

Maybe it's the wording, but that is making it sound like the SEC can stop Bama from hiring Pruitt... they can't. So there's really nothing to clear or not clear from their end... they can't stop it. Sankey can give his recommendation and even some warnings.... maybe he gave his blessing to a degree, but if Bama wants to hire him and deal with any consequences that follow, they can.

Maybe it's the wording, but that is making it sound like the SEC can stop Bama from hiring Pruitt... they can't. So there's really nothing to clear or not clear from their end... they can't stop it. Sankey can give his recommendation and even some warnings.... maybe he gave his blessing to a degree, but if Bama wants to hire him and deal with any consequences that follow, they can.
A side note:

I'd heard UT and UGA were voicing their disapproval to the SEC offices (Pruitt.) I saw that come up again Sunday night. I understand Rodney pretty well confirmed it with his board today.

Here's the thing... @TerryP @Brandon Van de Graaff will drop a hint before the news catches a wind.... and they will give us a hint.... They have been consistent with what they have been saying compared to twitters and other board.
Espcially when they're talking to each other. Terry can hit recruiting verbals like few others.

Whoever comes in, they will be running Alabama’s offense and not installing a new offense. Saban has been okay with adding tweaks but not bringing in a new offense.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. But since they let Freeze and Petrino back in. Fuck them, hire him.

Whoever comes in, they will be running Alabama’s offense and not installing a new offense. Saban has been okay with adding tweaks but not bringing in a new offense.
I know that. I like the fact that Lebby uses a pretty good dose of downhill runs. If you look at his past year at OU, they were within 500 yards rushing to passing. Only 3 yards less a game than us offensively. Brady’s year at LSU saw 2500+ yards on the ground and 6000+ thru the air!!!

A side note:

I'd heard UT and UGA were voicing their disapproval to the SEC offices (Pruitt.) I saw that come up again Sunday night. I understand Rodney pretty well confirmed it with his board today.

That was as a sure as the sun rising type of thing, especially with the Vols... They poisoned Pruitt for the same reason they hired him in the first place... to try and hurt Bama. If everything else had been the exact same, but instead of Pruitt it was Mike Elko or someone else who wasn't a Saban and Alabama guy, the firing and fallout would have been handled completely differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom