| NEWS UA Athletics Self Reports Twelve Minor Violations

Nick has them tuned in when NO minor football violations....
Awesome
Technically football was involved in one of them, although indirectly.

2. Sport: Men’s basketball (8/18/21)

Summary: The institution hired an individual as a football strength and conditioning coach who triggered IAWP (individual associated with a prospective student-athlete) status for a prospective men's basketball student-athlete upon his full-time enrollment.

Corrective actions taken: 1. Declared the student-athlete ineligible and sought reinstatement.

Technically football was involved in one of them, although indirectly.

2. Sport: Men’s basketball (8/18/21)

Summary: The institution hired an individual as a football strength and conditioning coach who triggered IAWP (individual associated with a prospective student-athlete) status for a prospective men's basketball student-athlete upon his full-time enrollment.

Corrective actions taken: 1. Declared the student-athlete ineligible and sought reinstatement.
Read more closely next time. 😂

That one really made it obvious how stupid some secondary violations are. So we hired a guy to help in one sport who knows a kid recruited to play another sport.
If we weren't in the middle of the NCAA break-up we'd see another page added to the ... Wait! How many pages are in the current NCAA Basketball rules book?

A few months ago I stopped in a ReStore—Habitat for Humanity "retail" location—to "waste" a half of an hour and see "what." Yeah, see "what." Never know, ya know? These locations always have a book section, hardback and paperback, where you can get a grocery bag (paper) filled with books for $5. On average, between a friend of mine and I, we'll grab 15-20 books. It just so happens one I saw recently was an outdated paperback version of the Offical NCAA rules for baseball—I think it was 2007. It was roughly an 8x10" book. It contained 196 pages of rules and regulations.

So, how many does basketball have?

To your point, that rule makes sense. We've seen high school coaches given jobs at the same school as one of the commitments from his players. It appears there needs to be some clarification to the rule (unless there's a significant link between the coach and said player. Then we'll need another page.)

To your point, that rule makes sense. We've seen high school coaches given jobs at the same school as one of the commitments from his players. It appears there needs to be some clarification to the rule (unless there's a significant link between the coach and said player. Then we'll need another page.)
I don't disagree that the rule makes sense, but it is very nebulous. Who is close enough? Relatives, coaches, etc make sense but what about the dude at church you have known for your whole life? I doubt he counts but in some cases he has more influence than a parent.

Back
Top Bottom