| FTBL Trying to think...one the west side of the Hank Crisp Indoor

TerryP

Staff
facility, do we have 2 or 3 full fields?

I know we have two running north and side adjacent to the indoor practice facility and then one north of them that runs horizontally. But, for the life of me I can't remember if there are 3 over there.

If you can picture it, between Hank Crisp and Hackberry, SE of the Aquatic Center...

I mention this because I was looking at another SEC school that only had 2 practice fields the other day.

I did a quick look-see on maps.google.com and it appears we have only one full-length outdoor field (meaning 120 yards long). That is the most westward field (closest to and perpendicular with Hackberry Lane), and it is orientated on a N-S axis.

There appear to be two truncated fields, also on a N-S axis. These fields appear to be around 100 yards in total length (meaning they are short one or both end-zones), but the image is not clear, meaning both these fields may be full-length after all. These fields are immediately north of the indoor facility and between Hackberry Lane and the football complex.

To the north of these two fields is the pro-turf (or whatever that stuff is called) field. It is clearly not full-length (has one end-zone and then only 90 yards of distance.

All fields appear, and I am sure are, full width.

Then, of course, we have the indoor field. It is not full-length.

With four outdoor fields (three grass and one fake grass), I am not really sure it is of any concern that we only have one certain field of 120 yards. Even kickoff coverage and returns can be honed on fields of only 80 yards or so.

By comparison, Florida has only ONE full-length grass field. There is a second field that is short only one end-zone and a turf field totaling 70-yards in length (end zone plus 60-yards).

The team can move over to the grass area inside the competitive track stadium (but it is really never used and does not offer enough room for a full-length field due to some synthetic surfacing unique for track events - rubberize areas for vaulting and high and distance jumping) or across the parking lot to Florida Field inside the stadium.

And, UF does not have an indoor facility.

Seems the cramped space has not hurt the Florida program too much. :wink:

alagator said:
I did a quick look-see on maps.google.com and it appears we have only one full-length outdoor field (meaning 120 yards long). That is the most westward field (closest to and perpendicular with Hackberry Lane), and it is orientated on a N-S axis.

That was a good idea...thanks for thinking for me!!!

Back
Top Bottom