| FTBL Gaining perspective, or at least trying to do so...

It's hard to know if Texas will land in the playoffs this year because they tend to have this nack of mailing it in a few times mid season but I think they are far & away the best team in the BIG12. They might be the best in the county. They've certainly played the best game of any team so far. And their lines of scrimmage are absolutely legit. I don't think what they did to us there was a fluke. And good teams are going to embarass the youthfullness of any team (see Sarks play calling at going after C Downs).

With that said... I'm not going to hyperreact on things because there is a LOT of ball left to be played. The following are the things that are really going to tell me how CNS is really doing with the culture of this program:

1st. Improvement of the team next week & one week at a time. There is NOBODY left on our schedule that has shown anything impressive thus far. They've all been exposed to some degree or another & NONE of them has played an opponent like Texas. This isn't me sunshine pumping. I've watched our competition. They've all been sloppy.

2nd. The Line's of Scrimmage need to lick their wounds, remember how their ass where whipped, learn from it, & use it as a clear lesson to get where they need to be. And can we please get these crappy low snaps fixed please?! That crap is NEVER good!

3rd. I'm trying to give Milroe a chance here. Granted, I am not sure we would've given Hurts much space in his first season if he hadn't of had that generational defense in 2016, which Milroe does NOT. I am going to be SHOCKED if this QB competition is over. He still has a great deal to improve, some of which will not be fixed by seasons end I'm afraid. He has got to curtail those turnover's. He's going to be the difference between a good team Vs a great team... Bryce Young spoiled EVERYBODY!

4th. 1 good game with low penalties. 1 bad game with many penalties. The competition between those two games is vastly different. The NEXT 2 games will show me if this team has really gotten better with this non-sense.

5th. This fan base is spoiled. WE. ARE. SPOILED. And its starting to fester & stink of putrid rot. We've forgotten what is necessary to support our team when things are tough. Can we just suck it up? We are part of this teams culture too. Yes, things have changed. Teams don't fear us like they used to, for good reason. IF the culture of the program is to improve, we need to be a part of that change. Not making it worse.

It's hard to know if Texas will land in the playoffs this year because they tend to have this nack of mailing it in a few times mid season but I think they are far & away the best team in the BIG12. They might be the best in the county. They've certainly played the best game of any team so far. And their lines of scrimmage are absolutely legit. I don't think what they did to us there was a fluke. And good teams are going to embarass the youthfullness of any team (see Sarks play calling at going after C Downs).

With that said... I'm not going to hyperreact on things because there is a LOT of ball left to be played. The following are the things that are really going to tell me how CNS is really doing with the culture of this program:

1st. Improvement of the team next week & one week at a time. There is NOBODY left on our schedule that has shown anything impressive thus far. They've all been exposed to some degree or another & NONE of them has played an opponent like Texas. This isn't me sunshine pumping. I've watched our competition. They've all been sloppy.

2nd. The Line's of Scrimmage need to lick their wounds, remember how their ass where whipped, learn from it, & use it as a clear lesson to get where they need to be. And can we please get these crappy low snaps fixed please?! That crap is NEVER good!

3rd. I'm trying to give Milroe a chance here. Granted, I am not sure we would've given Hurts much space in his first season if he hadn't of had that generational defense in 2016, which Milroe does NOT. I am going to be SHOCKED if this QB competition is over. He still has a great deal to improve, some of which will not be fixed by seasons end I'm afraid. He has got to curtail those turnover's. He's going to be the difference between a good team Vs a great team... Bryce Young spoiled EVERYBODY!

4th. 1 good game with low penalties. 1 bad game with many penalties. The competition between those two games is vastly different. The NEXT 2 games will show me if this team has really gotten better with this non-sense.

5th. This fan base is spoiled. WE. ARE. SPOILED. And its starting to fester & stink of putrid rot. We've forgotten what is necessary to support our team when things are tough. Can we just suck it up? We are part of this teams culture too. Yes, things have changed. Teams don't fear us like they used to, for good reason. IF the culture of the program is to improve, we need to be a part of that change. Not making it worse.
Good post!
We are spoiled and expect to win every game and win it without mistakes. No one on was more disappointed than me. I'm sure a lot of us are equally disappointed. When you have played the number of "big" games thae

Good post!

We may have a few more possible losses this year…The dreaded part of that is Saban will be the subject of a lot of retirement talk, especially from Finebaum...He left Milroe in because He showed SOME flashes of brilliance…the fumble pass for a TD ( I didn’t see) was one.. maybe he can use Milroe for wildcat and option/veer packages..

Going to be hard to tell if there is any improvement. Good chance South Florida couldn't beat MTSU this year. They've lost to WKU and beat Florida A&M By 7. Not a ringing endorsement there, IMO.

My concern is whether or not we get better as the season goes on. Last year we did not (IMO), but injuries had a lot to do with that. OL is not as good as I thought they would be, RB's too, DB's too, WR's can't create space. I was pulling for Milroe, but MTSU game was not an opponent that you can measure yourself against. Time to try another QB. Too many peanalties!!!! Just nuts.

What I’m afraid of is this Saban can stay as long as he wants attitude. I don’t want Alabama to go through what FSU did with Bowden. They still haven’t recovered from that extended farewell. Hopefully CNS will have the wherewithal to recognize that and step away before the program goes through what FSU did in Bowden's twilight

Here is my perspective. This team is still fundamentally flawed. But so are most of the teams in college football. And the SEC is not that good this year. LSU at night, at home, used to be a dominant team. Arkansas almost beat them. Georgia is struggling against cupcakes. A&M looked like crap against Auburn, and Auburn just looked like crap. And the East is a dumpster fire. So Bama has just as much chance of winning the West as anyone else. If they play like they did in the second half they can go into College Station and beat A&M, and they can beat LSU in Tuscaloosa, and they can beat Auburn in the Iron Bowl. If they play like they did in the first half they can lose all of those games. It's all about their mindset. They have all the talent in the world. Now they just need to get their minds right.

Here is my perspective. This team is still fundamentally flawed. But so are most of the teams in college football. And the SEC is not that good this year. LSU at night, at home, used to be a dominant team. Arkansas almost beat them. Georgia is struggling against cupcakes. A&M looked like crap against Auburn, and Auburn just looked like crap. And the East is a dumpster fire. So Bama has just as much chance of winning the West as anyone else. If they play like they did in the second half they can go into College Station and beat A&M, and they can beat LSU in Tuscaloosa, and they can beat Auburn in the Iron Bowl. If they play like they did in the first half they can lose all of those games. It's all about their mindset. They have all the talent in the world. Now they just need to get their minds right.
:p

But, you can bet the farm that any SEC team we play will have their game of the year against us. They will be the most focused and have the best practices coming in to playing us... it's the curse of being so good for so long, everyone wants to beat you and you almost always get their best shot. Playing as we have, I don't see any easy wins in the future... but such is life when you don't have a NFL starting QB throwing to two NFL starting WR and an NFL starting RB in the back field to boot...

I have never understood the accusation that the fan base is spoiled. How does that affect the game or the players in any way? Does it make the team commit more penalties? Does it make the players blow assignments or miss tackles? Does it make the team turn the ball over? Does it make the Oline play soft? If being spoiled means as a fan I am used to seeing the Alabama football team play disciplined, angry football and I recognize when that is not happening, then I guess I am spoiled. And if it's wrong to point out that this team does not play as well as previous teams, then maybe we just need to give everyone a participation trophy and buy them pizza.

How much has 2020 affected fandom? I'm looking at a bunch of kids that aren't sure who they are. Not fans, mind you. The players.

RE fandom: It's just my opinion of course, but it's not just 2020's performance but also the QB play with WR's since Tua. It's been an offensively fun to watch. PLUS you had Bryce Young's body of work. So with 4 QB's in a row that could read coverages & make good throws, folks lose their mind when we have a lull at QB. It's bound to happen but it isn't the end of the world. Folks should keep in mind that only 1.5 (Tue's second half of '17) of CNS National Championships were done with dynamic QB's. Yet 4.5 of the 6 (at 'Bama) we won with lights out Defense & a decent QB. We should have won 2016 if Hurts could have gotten 2 first downs in the second half.

And @Crtuneman, of course the spoiled nature of our fanbase should have zero effect a championship program. Not every team has what it takes to be a champion. Thus, entitlement is a real thing & is a real 'rat poison', & isn't limited to the fanbase. We're still dealing with kids/young men. It's bound to happen & I am 100% certain every recruiting class has a player or two who thinks their $hit don't stink. Sometimes those players get put in their place. Sometimes, they are given an audience. This is why the leadership of each team is so critical.

Last thought, I'm convinced, that the football program lulled as a team when Bryce Young was at QB. It's like they were mesmerized by his talent & just didn't not put in the work as a TEAM because he could do so much. I think it affected the players & the staff. And this current team is learning that they ALL have to get better & do their part as a TEAM.

I have never understood the accusation that the fan base is spoiled. How does that affect the game or the players in any way? Does it make the team commit more penalties? Does it make the players blow assignments or miss tackles? Does it make the team turn the ball over? Does it make the Oline play soft? If being spoiled means as a fan I am used to seeing the Alabama football team play disciplined, angry football and I recognize when that is not happening, then I guess I am spoiled. And if it's wrong to point out that this team does not play as well as previous teams, then maybe we just need to give everyone a participation trophy and buy them pizza.

It's funny too, because that being "spoiled" is what allowed Saban to build this empire and give these guys everything they are enjoying in college and obviously take for granted.

Back
Top Bottom