| CURRENT EVENTS Trump vs the Democrats. I'm hearing the word "coup" a lot here lately describing the efforts made by the D's to win the election.

George Will gets it right, as usual. Faced with two unacceptable candidates for president, each with no capacity for truth or honor, either choice was bound to haunt our nation for years.

Trump must be removed. So must his congressional enablers.
President Trump speaks on the South Lawn of the White House on Saturday.
President Trump speaks on the South Lawn of the White House on Saturday. (Amanda Voisard/for The Washington Post)
Image without a caption
By George F. Will
Columnist
June 1, 2020 at 3:18 p.m. EDT

This unraveling presidency began with the Crybaby-in-Chief banging his spoon on his highchair tray to protest a photograph — a photograph — showing that his inauguration crowd the day before had been smaller than the one four years previous. Since then, this weak person’s idea of a strong person, this chest-pounding advertisement of his own gnawing insecurities, this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron.

Presidents, exploiting modern communications technologies and abetted today by journalists preening as the “resistance” — like members of the French Resistance 1940-1944, minus the bravery — can set the tone of American society, which is regrettably soft wax on which presidents leave their marks. The president’s provocations — his coarsening of public discourse that lowers the threshold for acting out by people as mentally crippled as he — do not excuse the violent few. They must be punished. He must be removed.

Social causation is difficult to demonstrate, particularly between one person’s words and other persons’ deeds. However: The person voters hired in 2016 to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed” stood on July 28, 2017, in front of uniformed police and urged them “please don’t be too nice” when handling suspected offenders. His hope was fulfilled for 8 minutes and 46 seconds on Minneapolis pavement.

What Daniel Patrick Moynihan termed “defining deviancy down” now defines American politics. In 2016, voters were presented an unprecedentedly unpalatable choice: Never had both major parties offered nominees with higher disapproval than approval numbers. Voters chose what they wagered would be the lesser blight. Now, however, they have watched him govern for 40 months and more than 40 percent — slightly less than the percentage that voted for him — approve of his sordid conduct.

Presidents seeking reelection bask in chants of “Four more years!” This year, however, most Americans — perhaps because they are, as the president predicted, weary from all the winning — might flinch: Four more years of this? The taste of ashes, metaphorical and now literal, dampens enthusiasm.

The nation’s downward spiral into acrimony and sporadic anarchy has had many causes much larger than the small man who is the great exacerbator of them. Most of the causes predate his presidency, and most will survive its January terminus. The measures necessary for restoration of national equilibrium are many and will be protracted far beyond his removal. One such measure must be the removal of those in Congress who, unlike the sycophantic mediocrities who cosset him in the White House, will not disappear “magically,” as Eric Trump said the coronavirus would. Voters must dispatch his congressional enablers, especially the senators who still gambol around his ankles with a canine hunger for petting.
In life’s unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation’s domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for . . . what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world’s most risible deliberative body.

A political party’s primary function is to bestow its imprimatur on candidates, thereby proclaiming: This is who we are. In 2016, the Republican Party gave its principal nomination to a vulgarian and then toiled to elect him. And to stock Congress with invertebrates whose unswerving abjectness has enabled his institutional vandalism, who have voiced no serious objections to his Niagara of lies, and whom T.S. Eliot anticipated:

We are the hollow men . . .
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
or rats’ feet over broken glass . . .

Those who think our unhinged president’s recent mania about a murder two decades ago that never happened represents his moral nadir have missed the lesson of his life: There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come. Which implicates national security: Abroad, anti-Americanism sleeps lightly when it sleeps at all, and it is wide-awake as decent people judge our nation’s health by the character of those to whom power is entrusted. Watching, too, are indecent people in Beijing and Moscow.

@12gage, I see it as an illegal attempt to seize power, which is a coup. But it is a hell of lot more involved than just the Dem's. It is so far been a peaceful, non violent war between good and evil, except for the false flag events by the evil deep state and shadow government , where real people have been killed and or maimed. Watch this video, it may bring a few things to light and hopefully wake a few people up.

I happen to want to believe this very much. I want to believe Trump is working to out these awful people and that their crimes will not go un-punished. With that being said, I need to see something. Not these tiny little Q-Drops that something is happening, or that some middle man has been arrested, but a large profile arrest. Hillary testifying? I hope so and I hope they bring out the big guns. I want that supposed video on Anthony Weiner's computer to be brought to light if in fact it is real. Time is running out on this if you ask me.

They are all the same, The Q Team,The Trump Team and The Patriot team, all working the same plan. To bring to light as much corruption and wrongdoing as possible as close to the election as possible. It has been written that Mr. Huber has already finished his investigation of all things Clinton, and yes this includes their Foundation. The Senate now has the votes to call all witnesses involving everyone associated with the Russian hoax. But I don't see much coming out of those hearings because the guilty ones will plead the 5'th. The toothless Senate will only be able to make referrals to AG Barr. BTW, let's not forget about Mr. Durham. It is believed that his investigation will soon be wrapping up and I hear that it is far reaching. He will not be writing a report as did Mueller. Mr. Durham has the power of a Special Prosecutor and will be passing out warrants. Also, opening sealed indictments that have been under wraps for a couple of years now. Many thousands of indictments in every state. A wise man once said, The wheels of justice turn slowly.
I happen to want to believe this very much. I want to believe Trump is working to out these awful people and that their crimes will not go un-punished. With that being said, I need to see something. Not these tiny little Q-Drops that something is happening, or that some middle man has been arrested, but a large profile arrest. Hillary testifying? I hope so and I hope they bring out the big guns. I want that supposed video on Anthony Weiner's computer to be brought to light if in fact it is real. Time is running out on this if you ask me.

They are all the same, The Q Team,The Trump Team and The Patriot team, all working the same plan. To bring to light as much corruption and wrongdoing as possible as close to the election as possible. It has been written that Mr. Huber has already finished his investigation of all things Clinton, and yes this includes their Foundation. The Senate now has the votes to call all witnesses involving everyone associated with the Russian hoax. But I don't see much coming out of those hearings because the guilty ones will plead the 5'th. The toothless Senate will only be able to make referrals to AG Barr. BTW, let's not forget about Mr. Durham. It is believed that his investigation will soon be wrapping up and I hear that it is far reaching. He will not be writing a report as did Mueller. Mr. Durham has the power of a Special Prosecutor and will be passing out warrants. Also, opening sealed indictments that have been under wraps for a couple of years now. Many thousands of indictments in every state. A wise man once said, The wheels of justice turn slowly.

Yeah, my wife is telling me the same thing. I sure hope this stuff is happening, because if what I am hearing out of the human trafficking, kids from Haiti, Epstein island, flight logs, and all of that, I hope they all burn and I want to see it. I've made light here before that movies like Taken and Hostel come from somewhere and not just an evil mind, but from actions and true stories.

I happen to want to believe this very much. I want to believe Trump is working to out these awful people and that their crimes will not go un-punished. ...snipped...

This is only why people believe this, because they want to believe it. The idea that Trump is the anointed one, approached by the forces for good, to make all things right is highly unlikely. If it were true, do you think he'd have kept his big mouth shut about it? Why would they pick someone thrice married who, while married, cavorts with prostitutes, and has proven to be a serial liar and swindler his entire private career? A guy who lacks the attentiveness to listen to briefings, choosing to watch swaths of TV coverage, and then take to twitter to lash out and defend himself?

It makes for a great story line. The Federal Reserve way back in 1913, Kennedy and Reagan were saints, and The Bush's, Obama and Clinton all part of the cabal.

Can't get out of debt? It's all by design, not personal choices.
Have a poor view of capitalism OR communism? Just a smoke screen.
Do you harbor any animosity toward those with markedly different views? You were misled.

- NOW, let us tell you how to think and interpret...

This is only why people believe this, because they want to believe it. The idea that Trump is the anointed one, approached by the forces for good, to make all things right is highly unlikely. If it were true, do you think he'd have kept his big mouth shut about it? Why would they pick someone thrice married who, while married, cavorts with prostitutes, and has proven to be a serial liar and swindler his entire private career? A guy who lacks the attentiveness to listen to briefings, choosing to watch swaths of TV coverage, and then take to twitter to lash out and defend himself?

It makes for a great story line. The Federal Reserve way back in 1913, Kennedy and Reagan were saints, and The Bush's, Obama and Clinton all part of the cabal.

Can't get out of debt? It's all by design, not personal choices.
Have a poor view of capitalism OR communism? Just a smoke screen.
Do you harbor any animosity toward those with markedly different views? You were misled.

- NOW, let us tell you how to think and interpret...

And I have been struggling with that as well. With everything you said about Trump though, Hillary is a million times worse. My thinking is we needed an outspoken guy that wouldn't take any shit. No apologies, no bowing to foreign leaders, not letting terrorists push us around. That's what a lot of us have wanted for years. He says a lot of stuff simply to piss the other side off. I'm sure you have comments or phrases you throw out to opposing fans or nemesis that you know gets in their crawl. Trump may have tooted his horn one too many times and with all of this going on it looks bad, but deep down he's doing a solid job and exactly the things you noted above. Hey, look at me over here, diverting attention away from what's going on over there. I don't know what to believe anymore, but I sure as fuck know I don't believe the media or 90% of what I read anymore. I'm fine staying in my little bubble and not being fucked with.

Back
Top Bottom