| FTBL A few thoughts on what I'm expecting from the offense this fall. It's a bit unique when it comes to college football. (tldr warning)

TerryP

Staff
Unique. I don't mean that in the sense we'll see something that we've not seen before. I do mean we'll see a combination of things unseen. It's an evolution, if you will, of things we've seen over the last few years.

The year Daboll spent in the sidelines was a return to more of a Pro-style set. The Kiffin years brought two different aspects to the offense: the integration of the RPO along with up-tempo play. With Locksley taking the helm of the play calling duties and coordinating the offense he's looking to bring all three aspects into one offensive scheme. As you can see it really isn't unique but the combination of all three phases isn't something we see today in collegiate football.

One of the reasons I believe Tua to be "the guy" is the role that quarterback is going to play. I'm not really a fan of cross sports analogies but in this case looking at the quarterback position, with a point guards role from basketball in mind, will give you an idea of how they plan to develop the position--though the fundamental ideal (run to set up the pass) isn't going by the wayside.

We all know that a major staple of Saban's scheme is controlling the game: both in how the game progresses along with the speed/rate at which the game is played. Understand. I do not expect Saban to move away from "killing the clock mentality" when the team has the game in control. That said, the notion/narrative of Saban running a conservative offense doesn't fit. He still wants the game in his hands, his control, but the method of doing so is changing.

We've seen a glimpse of how Tua is developing when it comes to reading a defense. I bring that up in relation to the point guard analogy--a QB with the ability to see where the defense is making adjustments; specifically making a mistake with those adjustments. I don't see them moving away from the power running game and its advantages. As example:

• The offensive line is coming together to the point I can envision a lot of different zone blocking concepts. You know the depth and diversity we have in the running back corps.
  • It's going to be an offense where we'll see multiples with different personnel--three and four wide is something we'll be familiar with. Do not discount the number of playmakers they'll have. There's few groups as deep as the one Bama will field this season.
  • And lastly, one of the better vertical attacks we've seen in the Saban era.
Here's where I don't want this to seem confusing. Over the years we've seen the team build a substantial lead and the offense emphasize the running game. We've also seen the mindset of keeping the defense on the Tide's side of the field as much as possible. Part of this evolution with the Bama offense is seen around college football. If we take teams like Clemson (and in a sense our NC game against UGA) that theory simply doesn't work anymore. In the past a two touchdown lead was a comfortable position for a team to be. But, with these elite offenses it is no longer. The schemes have evolved and the rules have changed (play clock, substitutions, etc.) The "control of the game" aspect has changed with tempo, power, and the ability to stretch the field.

There really wasn't a huge scheme change in the second half versus Georgia. There was an emphasis that was placed more on having the best athletes in the right positions. That's an advantage because the team won't have to have a game where the correct offensive plays are called throughout and I also suspect that we'll see less of "if they only executed correctly."

The power running game is here to stay. However, now we'll see an option added that will allow multiple quick passing options. With the threat of the deep ball being on every defensive coordinators mind we'll see that emphasized as well. However, the changes we'll see will be in the options; the checkdowns. The backs will be in position for those quick dumps offs and we'll see some of the receivers in those middle routes--all with the ability to create a big play. It's multiple threats from different positions/areas in the passing game.

How well it works? I don't know. No one does. It won't take away from the entertainment value because it has the ability to be a really fun offense to watch.

It's been a really interesting week or so for me hearing about what their goals are and then comparing it to different games/highlights I've watched from past seasons. If you have the time I'd encourage you to pay attention to a few things.

One, some of the offense that Locksley ran when he was at Maryland. We'll see similar sets/formations and motion.

Secondly, keep in mind what Josh Gattis has been involved with under Franklin at Penn State. A mix of the two will give you a glimpse into what we'll see this fall.

And last but not least, don't discount how much of an impact having a designated quarterback coach will bring. It's going to be a melding of sorts between the three schemes we've seen from Enos, Gattis, and Locksley along with the power we've become accustomed to seeing on Saturdays.

Just a little food for thought on a Sunday afternoon...

I’m interested in Coach Locksley’s use of different formations. I know we’ve tried that in each of the last three years but with the talent across the board on offense, he (they) can be more creative without the defense knowing who’s going to get the ball. I believe Coach Saban is ready to turn ‘em loose, to a point, with the available talent at QB.

It was interesting you mention Gattis with the Franklin connection. I was thinking that Locksley and Franklin may have worked together at Maryland, but research shows that to not be the case.

If Enos can assist #13 then Bama just might be in high cotton. To have a QB that can actually spread the ball around (well) will really make it tuff on the defense of those trying to stop The Tide. The OL should really get a benefit from not having to block 8 in the box play after play. Sounds good but the QB has to make it happen in the passing game. I wish someone attending the summer workouts could expand on how the punter is progressing. He needs to be able to hit it 60 yards from toe to receiver consistently . I didn't see that in the A-Day game. Looked more like 52-55 with not enough height. Maybe our PK needs a pair of those Buddy Holly glasses like the UGA PK...That'LL Be The Day.

Niiiiice write up Terry. Enjoyed reading that. The part I'm looking most forward to next year is that power run game... Between the OL improvement and a more well rounded QB I'm definitely expecting your execution point to come into fruition. RTR

@TerryP Not that I disagreed with ur write up...the one thing I really agtreed with was "it will be a really fun offense to watch".....
Bama games are fun to watch...for Bama fans....but I remember in the past how much fun USCw ....pete carroll days ....( even Oklahoma, some others) offenses were fun to watch...
don’t think they will be all out wide open as that...but more aggressive offense...
But...then maybe not...grind em down...great D....works well

don’t think they will be all out wide open as that...but more aggressive offense...
As wide open as all of what? If you read that as my suggesting Bama is going to a Kliff Kingsbury look you've misunderstood me.

But...then maybe not...grind em down...great D....works well
You're right, partially. Yes, that style of play, that game plan, works well and will continue to against 80% or so of the teams Bama faces. It doesn't work well against teams that have one of the elite offenses we see today. A lot of that is dependant on whom the Tide faces. You can look at several games dating back to roughly 2012 to see where it doesn't work--A&M and Auburn that season. 2013 is one of the clear lines of demarcation when Bama had to put 49 on the board to beat A&M.

Consider the different approaches we've out of two of Bama's rivals in the west--Auburn and LSU. LSU continued to play Bama in a conservative manner. They thought they could stand toe to toe with Bama and they did for the most part. Until, the game reached a point where Bama had to open it up. Auburn, on the other hand, has had the mindset that they need to score 60 on Bama to win. Even in defeat they still thought they could have; should have.

@TerryP ..... nope didnt think u suggested such....was thinking...as wide open as the old usc or ok teams...of old mind u...
Aggressive offense....putting more pressure on opponents D....on their Offense to score to keep up...
This Bama Offense should be elite....with the RBs...Recivers...oline....regardless of QB.....less than 50 and counting

The thing that should make this offense fun to watch are the talented group of receivers to stretch the field. As of now, we do not have that one go to guy that the QB targets on most pass plays. We have the opportunity to spread the wealth.

There is no doubt in my mind that Tua is and will be the guy.
There's something I think we need to keep in mind here; Saban's history.

In '02 he was dealing with Marcus Randall and Matt Mauck
In '03 (title year, remember) it was Mauck and Randall again. The difference that season was Mauck saw more action.
In '04 the scenario repeats itself with Randall and Jemarcus Russell.

Jump ahead to his time in Tuscaloosa and we're looking at the Sims vs McCarron and the Blake versus Jacob storylines. We've seen how the quarterback starting position wasn't settled until some point during the season.

I don't want to use the term "dragged out," but I can't think of another way to describe how it has played out. I can't escape that when thinking about how this season starts.

I'm with you. Tua will be the guy. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see both get significant reps through two or three games this fall.

Now, IF there's actually a plan in place to utilize the skill sets of both?

All that said there is no questioning which of the two has shown the most potential.

Back
Top Bottom