Thinking about a new vehichle

My road car is a 2009 base Camry, bought it used off Craigslist in late 2009. Straight shift, 4 cyl, fabric seats, power windows and locks but no remote, decent radio. I've just rolled over 160,000 miles on it and I haven't even put new brake pads on it yet (thanks to highway miles and it being a straight shift). I get 29-35 mpg in it, and it's a fairly comfortable car. If you're looking for economy and utility, an accord/camry or civic/corolla are hard to beat. I end up in rental Altimas from time to time and they seem pretty nice, too. Someone else will have to weigh in on the "newer" imports like Kia, Hyundai and such.

RTR,

Tim

Wow, just searched google and apparently there is a big issue your Honda model and several others burning oil. I've read some stuff over the last few months that suggests some people think that the lighter weight oil is burning up quicker - EPA has pushed alot of makers to 5w20 and 0w20.

check out this class action... http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/03/20/HondaCA.pdf

I rent about 15-20 cars a year due to business travel. I always enjoy getting a camry, was just telling the wife last weekend that this would be on my list of cars for the kids when they get driving age in a few years.

I like Toyota's, I've owned 3-4 Honda's and 2 Toyota's so far and like both. Right now, I prefer the styles and durability of the Toyota's. I drive a Tundra that gets crappy gas mileage but moves like a scalded dog.

Last edited:
Wow, just searched google and apparently there is a big issue your Honda model and several others burning oil. I've read some stuff over the last few months that suggests some people think that the lighter weight oil is burning up quicker - EPA has pushed alot of makers to 5w20 and 0w20.

check out this class action... http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/03/20/HondaCA.pdf

I rent about 15-20 cars a year due to business travel. I always enjoy getting a camry, was just telling the wife last weekend that this would be on my list of cars for the kids when they get driving age in a few years.

I like Toyota's, I've owned 3-4 Honda's and 2 Toyota's so far and like both. Right now, I prefer the styles and durability of the Toyota's. I drive a Tundra that gets crappy gas mileage but moves like a scalded dog.

As an ex-mechanic and experience, I have to agree with planomateo with the Camry. My Aunt has one that she uses to travel for work and has over 200k miles, but they are mostly highway. It is very dependable.

I had a '98 Civic that I was still driving until April of this year. A 2-door coupe and a newly single dad does not mix very well together. Right now I am driving a '12 Rav 4. The gas mileage is nowhere near the Civic (duh), but much easier to get the kids in and out of.

Not to mention the 4 cylinder Camry I drove in San Diego a few weeks ago moved effortlessly down the freeway. It had more pickup than I would have expected, almost felt like a 6 cylinder. They are a little more pricey than other cars, but I think you get what you pay for.

I'd be more than happy to buy a used one when the time comes.

its a 2008 accord that i bought brand new in 2009, they said no leaks so i am guessing that is the problem since they can't find anything

Are you fogging mosquitoes with it, or is it just the assumption because it isn't leaking and it's using oil? How much do you have to add between a 5,000 mile oil change? If it's just a quart or so, and you're not embarrassing yourself from it smoking, I'd keep driving it.

And yes I believe the thinner oil is prone to consumption as well. I do add a quart to my 09 Camry in between changes (using 5W20) since I've had it.

RTR,

Tim

Do you have a good relationship with a service person at the dealership? They can usually help fix these issues and can do this on their dime or Honda's dime (sometimes this depends on how much you've spent with them and the type of relationship you have with them).

If not, I'd call Honda and complain. Seems like there is an issue and they know about it and they can fix it.

it was almost out last time after 3000 miles, i have not noticed any smoke but i never look behind me, you would at least think an oil light would come on

If the oil light comes on, it's usually too late. Many oil warning systems tell you that your pressure is low, meaning insufficient (or no) oil is getting picked up. You've got to check it weekly if it's a user. Plus, if you're running just a quart or quart and a half low on a four or five quart capacity, the remaining oil is being cycled through the engine at a much higher rate, wearing it out faster.

Also, there are many oil change places that will intentionally short you a quart when they change your oil to boost their profits. Always check your oil after an oil change.

Good luck with it.

RTR,

Tim

Doe, you might want to have one of your lady pals add oil more often...

gpALGIH.gif

Do you have a good relationship with a service person at the dealership? They can usually help fix these issues and can do this on their dime or Honda's dime (sometimes this depends on how much you've spent with them and the type of relationship you have with them).

If not, I'd call Honda and complain. Seems like there is an issue and they know about it and they can fix it.

Thank you for calling Honda. My name is Yo So Phuked, can I help you?

Hey, my name is...

Wow.....I remember when you bought the Accord. It was shortly after I bought Pam her accord. Hers has been excellent, but it is an 09. We are 110k miles and still running strong. I do remember you got the 4 cylinder. Her's has the 6. We have had no issues. We just recently did the timing belt, which they also recommend a new water pump because they have to take it off to change the belt. We spent a little over 1k to have all that junk done. Other than that had a lot a good luck out of it. Now my 04 GMC pick up is a different story. It burns about 1 qt of oil every 3k miles. After digging around on the internet the 5.3 liter engines are notorious for this. It appears that they no longer have a PCV valve and that it is designed in the valve cover. It gets clogged and you need to replace the valve covers to correct the problem. Most folks say that will remedy the issue on the Chevy 5.3 liter. I said all that to say, I wonder if that is the issue with your car? Call Car Care in Pelham and ask to speak to Chris. Tell him you are a friend of mine. He will shoot you straight on whether or not he knows anything and whether or not they can fix it.

I have a 2004 Honda accord ex,that I haven't had a problem with. I'm selling it for $7,500 and it only has 157,000 miles on it. It is garage kept. Great on gas too! I'm getting an SUV because my girls travel for ball games. :hyper: If interested let me know, Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom