| NEWS The Super Conference Breakaway: Coming soon…

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
College football will never, ever be what it once was. But it can still be pretty good. Different, but good. I’m sure some will even like it more in the future. I don’t see me in that group, but I do think it needs to be completely restructured. To stand by while it evolves anyway (like we’ve been seeing), would be disastrous.

College football will never, ever be what it once was. But it can still be pretty good. Different, but good. I’m sure some will even like it more in the future. I don’t see me in that group, but I do think it needs to be completely restructured. To stand by while it evolves anyway (like we’ve been seeing), would be disastrous.

Agree. Any of us that have been fans do not like the direction...especially the f**king portal and the nil ...that is just buying players...we all know that is all it is...
And truthfully....it isnt really good for most of the kids.... a lot of money with no adult supervision.... sounds like disaster...looks like disaster....must be disastrous

Scott Van Pelt is spot on.

It's just so weird. Writers at The Athletic, and Yahoo, and guys like Jay Bilas told us that this lawless model would be great... that the market would set the boundaries and everyone would benefit from it. That not only was it sustainable, it was necessary for CFB to thrive. Hard to fathom them missing the boat so badly. SARCASM

To me, just let the guys go to the USFL and let that be a farm system for the NFL. Let the kids come play college football that want to get an education and be developed. Force them to stay 3 years and keep it simple. Let the others fail and excel as they want with the other option.
I don't know if that's the answer, but what is the answer? This new system is not an answer to anything that was once College Football. I certainly like your suggestion although it's just a rough 'draft', if you will, I think it could be a start of a much, much better system and maybe keep the traditional aspects of CFB in play.

ROLL TIDE ANYWAY!

Where does this say super conference? We complained about not playing other schools within the SEC during a player’s tenure. A super conference makes it 20x worse. It’s like making everybody an independent school.

To me, just let the guys go to the USFL and let that be a farm system for the NFL. Let the kids come play college football that want to get an education and be developed. Force them to stay 3 years and keep it simple. Let the others fail and excel as they want with the other option.
Doing that would also make the USFL more sustainable.

Where does this say super conference? We complained about not playing other schools within the SEC during a player’s tenure. A super conference makes it 20x worse. It’s like making everybody an independent school.

It said it in the title of the thread. Call it a Super Conference, a breakaway, or whatever you want... this is all leading to the SEC and Big Ten (and a few more teams) forming their own division, with their own rules, their own commissioner, and backed by the broadcast partners and advertisers.

And by Super Conference, I mean the SEC will still exist. The Big Ten will still exist. They'll just likely be expanded again... A Power 2 type scenario. AFC vs. NFC type model.

It said it in the title of the thread. Call it a Super Conference, a breakaway, or whatever you want... this is all leading to the SEC and Big Ten (and a few more teams) forming their own division, with their own rules, their own commissioner, and backed by the broadcast partners and advertisers.

And by Super Conference, I mean the SEC will still exist. The Big Ten will still exist. They'll just likely be expanded again... A Power 2 type scenario. AFC vs. NFC type model.
The demise of college football is happening faster than I thought it would. Thanks, NIL.

What a mess.... Give this a try, it can't be any worse than it currently is since NIL and Portal started. It is like watching a drug addict trying to get clean but doing harder and harder drugs. all at the same time A train wreck.

What a mess.... Give this a try, it can't be any worse than it currently is since NIL and Portal started. It is like watching a drug addict trying to get clean but doing harder and harder drugs. all at the same time A train wreck.

It takes the rule and decision making out of the hands of the NCAA, an institution that doesn't really give a shit about CFB to begin with. The model that is in mind... still would have NIL, but rules would be more defined. And enforced. Players would be employees under contracts, so everything would be out on the table, not in the shadows. Salary caps for schools. Basically, a much more structured system where control shifts back to the institutions but players still get a significant piece of the pie.

It takes the rule and decision making out of the hands of the NCAA, an institution that doesn't really give a shit about CFB to begin with. The model that is in mind... still would have NIL, but rules would be more defined. And enforced. Players would be employees under contracts, so everything would be out on the table, not in the shadows. Salary caps for schools. Basically, a much more structured system where control shifts back to the institutions but players still get a significant piece of the pie.
Has to be better than the current mess. If having two power conferences is what it takes to fix this then so be it. The current system is not sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom