| CURRENT EVENTS The Presidential Race: The Debacle. Err, debate.

I'm not surprised SO many people don't understand ASCAP.

They put the music up to be licensed.
It was licensed so that music can be played.
The campaign bought the license.
"The Foo Fighters" were paid under the agreements they signed that allows their music to be purchased, in a license form, and played in different venues for different events.

You can't put an item on the market to be sold, it's sold, and then sue someone because they bought something you put up for sale.

It is a deception, a lie, gaslighting, in its purest form.
Grohl is president of Roswell Records, which still owns and licenses all of Foo Fighters' music.

Grohl is president of Roswell Records, which still owns and licenses all of Foo Fighters' music.
Which means what?

If the music is available to be purchased, because a group put it on the market to be purchased, and it was purchased under the agreements the group put forth...

Ya can't sue for people doing exactly what you asked them to do. If you buy the license, you can play the music.

ASCAP charged us for Karaoke at the bar(s.) They have their "sticky fingers" in EVERYTHING. Believe you me, the group has already been paid for the use of the music.

Moreover, it's just 'effin stupid. A band makes steals music for their fan base to purchase and enjoy...but only if you are on this side of the aisle?

Like I've said, my vote is about policy. Is one of the policy statements revolving around music played at a convention versus...I don't know, the economy?

You're missing the point. Progressives don't care about numbers. They want to implement their policies to achieve their political aims. Those aims don't include great economic or investment returns. The economic overhang from the Obama administration's policies of overregulation and government-paid healthcare was tremendous. Biden's handlers opened the coffers, inflation was rampant, and radical groups are at the trough in the name of climate policy.
A case of "tenses." You write as if it's past tense, when it's present as well. 🤷‍♂️

There's all sorts of chaos in that tax proposal, but the unrealized capital gains tax is an estate tax piece:

Major individual, capital gains, and estate tax provisions modeled:​

• Expand the base of the net investment income tax (NIIT) to include nonpassive business income and increase the rates for the NIIT and the additional Medicare tax to reach 5 percent on income above $400,000 (effective 2024)
  • Increase top individual income tax rate to 39.6 percent on income above $400,000 for single filers and $450,000 for joint filers (effective 2024)
  • Tax long-term capital gains and qualified dividends at ordinary income tax rates for taxable income above $1 million and tax unrealized capital gains at death above a $5 million exemption ($10 million for joint filers)
  • Limit retirement account contributions for high-income taxpayers with large individual retirement account (IRA) balances
  • Tighten rules related to the estate tax
  • Tax carried interest as ordinary income for people earning more than $400,000
  • Limit 1031 like-kind exchanges to $500,000 in gains

Essentially, it means if you have a rich uncle with a ranch, it'll have to be sold to pay the estate taxes. Passing on family-owned businesses will be that much harder. In the end, much wealth will go to attorneys and trust companies as the well-to-do will find ways around it, and the first generation success stories will have a greater chance of having their heirs getting kicked in the teeth.

I read an article last night I meant to bookmark...forgot, cleared my cache, so I'll have to find it again. It was covering the unrealized capital gains tax implemented in Norway a few years ago.

I may get the numbers wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I remember these correctly. Norway expected about $150 million in additional tax revenue when they passed the measure. In the end, almost $55 billion in "wealth" left the country. It ended up costing them a little under $700 million in tax revenue.

I don't have your pedigree when it comes to economics. But, I think I'm pretty damn close to be right when I say that measure, a long with raising corporate tax rates, will make businesses leave the country. We've seen it before (reflected in your mention of over regulations.)

I read an article last night I meant to bookmark...forgot, cleared my cache, so I'll have to find it again. It was covering the unrealized capital gains tax implemented in Norway a few years ago.

I may get the numbers wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I remember these correctly. Norway expected about $150 million in additional tax revenue when they passed the measure. In the end, almost $55 billion in "wealth" left the country. It ended up costing them a little under $700 million in tax revenue.

I don't have your pedigree when it comes to economics. But, I think I'm pretty damn close to be right when I say that measure, a long with raising corporate tax rates, will make businesses leave the country. We've seen it before (reflected in your mention of over regulations.)
The estate tax piece probably won't affect corporate locations. Corporate tax rates definitely do.

Which means what?

If the music is available to be purchased, because a group put it on the market to be purchased, and it was purchased under the agreements the group put forth...

Ya can't sue for people doing exactly what you asked them to do. If you buy the license, you can play the music.

ASCAP charged us for Karaoke at the bar(s.) They have their "sticky fingers" in EVERYTHING. Believe you me, the group has already been paid for the use of the music.

Moreover, it's just 'effin stupid. A band makes steals music for their fan base to purchase and enjoy...but only if you are on this side of the aisle?

Like I've said, my vote is about policy. Is one of the policy statements revolving around music played at a convention versus...I don't know, the economy?
The band didn’t steal anything.

Your vote is about policy, yeah I got it. This lawsuit has nothing to do with the Harris campaign, so not sure why you added this statement

The band didn’t steal anything.

Your vote is about policy, yeah I got it. This lawsuit has nothing to do with the Harris campaign, so not sure why you added this statement
The lyrics off the first verse are from a Cobain bit. Grohl takes his beats from old R&B songs. A LOT of musicians do this. Like I said, I like his music...but it is a rip off of music from two decades ago. It's not a criticism.

I brought it up because of the climate I'm watching.

I say that measure, a long with raising corporate tax rates, will make businesses leave the country. We've seen it before (reflected in your mention of over regulations.)
I think that's the agenda they really want, kill the middle class because that's their only opposition. If you kill it and take guns you make everyone dependent on the government and get to the state they want.

I get what you are thinking. I don't see that as a possibility.
I didn't think it was possible but seeing how people vote now has me wondering. Raising minimum wage by large percentages, pushing out manufacturing, fostering inflation, and promising gun control... it all adds up to eliminating the middle class in my opinion.

So, let me get this straight. Any help, is appreciated.

We've seen four years of a party calling an individual "Hitler."

We've just witnessed a convention where the theme was "Joy." "Strength, through Joy."

Strength Through Joy was an organisation set up by the Nazis to promote employees rights in the work place. It was designed to appease workers as the Trade Unions had been banned in Germany, but it was still an organisation that was controlled by the Nazis. It was set up as a division of the German Labour Front.
The purpose was to inspire the German workers, to encourage them that the work they were completing was for the benefit of the nation. Therefore, Strength Through Joy, attempted to provide activities for the workers of the Reich to enjoy. In order to enjoy these activities, workers had to join the Strength Through Joy programme.
Typical activities included film screenings and trips to the theatre, and attendance at sports events. They also offered holidays and cruises to some workers.
Strength Through Joy also attempted to improve the people’s access to consumer goods. The Nazis promoted the Volkswagen or ‘People’s Car’. It was designed to be affordable for all Germans. Strength Through Joy encouraged people to give five Reichsmarks per week to pay for their car. However, the factories producing the cars became weapons factories during the War.

Back
Top Bottom