| NEWS The NCAA needs to take a strong stand against Arkansas law that will allow guns in stadiums

Dude, Im sorry I will never believe there is anyone that has the "goal" to graduate and then get on govt. assisted. That is a very narrowed minded way to look at things. Are there lazy people that get to the point where they would rather do that then put effort into trying something? Yep but no one has that as a "goal."

But yes we can agree to disagree.

Believe what you want but I SEE IT AND HEAR IT!!! There is no drive. It is generational. It is what their mom did and what their grandmother did before her.

Please remember that poor doesn't make you a criminal or a murder but being a murder or a criminal will make you poor

Murders choose to kill, theifs choose to steal. I was poor as a kid and I would have starved before I stole something

Exactly why I said poverty isn't the root of the problem that is Chicago. It is culture.

How is carrying meth not illegal? Yes it is, possession of a controlled substance is different than trafficking (and there are multiple degrees of possession). I didnt try to deflect anything, I said that the claim that "if they want to do it they will do it regardless of a rule/law" is a stupid argument.

Right to bear arms is in the constitution, as is the wording "well regulated" meaning you have to following the laws that are in place. It kills me when people want to cherry pick parts of the constitution they like.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's the Second Amendment.

Supreme Court decisions Heller in 2008 ruled an individual has the right to possess firearms.
In Caetano v. Massachusetts (2016), the Supreme Court reiterated its earlier rulings that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding" and that its protection is not limited to "only those weapons useful in warfare".[15]

Despite these decisions, the debate between various organizations regarding gun control and gun rights continues.[16] (Wiki)

@Birdman37 that's not cherry picking. If anyone's cherry picking, it's you choosing to try (as others have tried and failed in the Supreme Court) to take a portion of the amendment and make it say something it doesn't.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's the Second Amendment.

Supreme Court decisions Heller in 2008 ruled an individual has the right to possess firearms.
In Caetano v. Massachusetts (2016), the Supreme Court reiterated its earlier rulings that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding" and that its protection is not limited to "only those weapons useful in warfare".[15]

Despite these decisions, the debate between various organizations regarding gun control and gun rights continues.[16] (Wiki)

@Birdman37 that's not cherry picking. If anyone's cherry picking, it's you choosing to try (as others have tried and failed in the Supreme Court) to take a portion of the amendment and make it say something it doesn't.

You ignore "well regulated", No. 1... but if you wanna take it word-for-word and be an originalist. Fine, only people in a militia can have a weapon... see how CHERRY PICKING works?

You ignore "well regulated", No. 1... but if you wanna take it word-for-word and be an originalist. Fine, only people in a militia can have a weapon... see how CHERRY PICKING works?

and it seems you ignored this part:

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

the people of this country are who make up this militia. it is not the army, marines, air force, navy, coast guard, and national guard. it is the people not in the military. these are the ones who are bound by those words to secure the free State of this country. basically, it's the duty of the armed citizens to ensure the safety of this land against those who wish to do it harm. and that includes against their own government.

@Birdman37 I'm not cherry picking. I cited the Supreme Court decision in 2016 that confirms you and I and all the citizens of the United States have the explicit right to bear arms, and as the decision states (cited above) that includes arms not even in existence when the founding Fathers wrote the law.

If that's cherry picking, I don't know any more I need to say. That's the whole law, the way the law has been interpreted, and the way it is.

@Birdman37 I'm not cherry picking. I cited the Supreme Court decision in 2016 that confirms you and I and all the citizens of the United States have the explicit right to bear arms, and as the decision states (cited above) that includes arms not even in existence when the founding Fathers wrote the law.

If that's cherry picking, I don't know any more I need to say. That's the whole law, the way the law has been interpreted, and the way it is.

Who here is arguing no one has the right to bear arms? You're cherry picking by ignoring the "WELL REGULATED" part (Ive literally said this like four times at this point and you continue to ignore it) meaning laws. Meaning if there is a law saying you cant own a fucking bazooka, you cant own a fucking bazooka. If there is a law that you cant own a firearm if you are a convicted felon, you cant have a weapon if you are a convicted felon. If you cant have a concealed weapon without a permit, etc. Im seriously done with this topic tho. Not a soul in this thread (or this forum) is going to change their opinion based on an argument regardless of anything said.

Its the same thing with the rest of the country. Half of the country things we should have rules and laws that keep certain firearms out of circulation and certain limits and laws on the use of them while the other half thinks you should be able to own a damn rocket launcher if you want it. So the NRA will continue to buy politicians and you guys will further and further get your way....

You're cherry picking by ignoring the "WELL REGULATED" part (Ive literally said this like four times at this point and you continue to ignore it) meaning laws.

A little etymology might be in order here.

The meaning of the phrase "well-regulated" in the 2nd amendment

The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

http://www.constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm

H/T to Katie, office administrator, for pulling that up during a conversation last week with a few of the sports beat writers in the building—and she's as "left" as they come.

Im seriously done with this topic tho. Not a soul in this thread (or this forum) is going to change their opinion based on an argument regardless of anything said.

That's part of your own making here, Bird. I disagreed and you throw this "stupid strawman" comment out. In other threads you, seemingly, laud the fact you consider yourself a "dick." Another poster disagrees with you while saying you're naive and you immediately label him a "massive right winger." I can't tell you the first time @alagator came across my path but I assure you he's far, far from a right winger.

*** On a separate note, sort of, I bet you'd shit if a constitutional carry law were passed. Yet, that would be "well regulated" by your definition due to it being within the law of the land. That brings to mind ...

One thing I found amusing during the past election had to do with the protest, assaults, etc. we saw from people who were against Trump. There was one place that didn't happen. It was one of the mid-western states, Ohio maybe? To me, that gives credence to those that say "if *a bad guy* knows that there's a chance the person he's about to commit a crime against may be carrying he's likely not to commit the crime he has in mind."

*** OT, completely, but this reminds me...

When the Hurricane ended up killing power for awhile here in Charleston I was up around 2-2:30 AM just watching the weather. I saw three guys—a lot would label them as punks, thugs, etc., largely due to how they were dressed and acting at the time—coming into the neighborhood that I knew didn't live here and quite frankly didn't belong considering the circumstances. They couldn't see me but they certainly heard when I racked a slide.

Their reaction?

:bolt:

Back
Top Bottom