| NEWS The NCAA needs to take a strong stand against Arkansas law that will allow guns in stadiums

You're arguing that people will do what they wont, regardless of the law/rule so there is no point in the rule/law. That is a strawman.

Saying "that's the general consensus" is saying "that's the general consensus."

I've never even suggested anything you're implying...for that matter, even thought about this in that manner.

And Fox Sports isnt telling the NCAA anything. Chris Strauss (a Fox writer) is giving an opinion in an opinion article. Unless you think Fox should censor their OPINION writers OPINION? Actually lets go with that, as long as that carries over to Fox News too :)

It’s on the NCAA to make them hear it.

That's him saying the NCAA should do something.

I read it wrong then... its still not right tho. Carrying a weapon (any weapon) is illegal in certain circumstances (no permit, a felon, in places its illegal, etc.).

Yep! Those places like Chicago! Strictest gun laws in the nation and man do those laws work!! :sarcasm: I have a cousin that lives there and he had to go thru a 16 hour course, 4-4 hour sections on consecutive Saturdays. Then you STILL have to wait for at least 6 months and hope and pray you live long enough in order to purchase a firearm legally. 664 shootings to date and 120 murders thus far by shooting.
I'm currently in New York City and there was a murder here Monday night a few blocks from Times Square. Guy stabbed another with a 26" knife multiple times. If someone has bad intentions, laws won't help.

Yep! Those places like Chicago! Strictest gun laws in the nation and man do those laws work!! :sarcasm: I have a cousin that lives there and he had to go thru a 16 hour course, 4-4 hour sections on consecutive Saturdays. Then you STILL have to wait for at least 6 months and hope and pray you live long enough in order to purchase a firearm legally. 664 shootings to date and 120 murders thus far by shooting.
I'm currently in New York City and there was a murder here Monday night a few blocks from Times Square. Guy stabbed another with a 26" knife multiple times. If someone has bad intentions, laws won't help.

Chicago's issues go deeper than any law can even start to touch, gun laws have nothing to do with anything there and they dont even have a gun problem. They have a poverty problem.

Again the strawman of "bad people are going to do bad things regardless" makes ZERO sense. The point of the laws are to get those people that break them off the street. I have no issues with guns, I have two myself, but this idea that there should be no regulations (or a bare minimum) is just ridiculous. The obsession with people, especially those in my neck of the woods, with guns is extremely terrifying and borderline sick. My brother-in-law will go w/o eating if it means he has enough money to buy that new gun or silencer or banana clip and those type of people are everywhere. And he's the world worst, get drunk and just start shooting his AR-15 in the air cause its funny.

Again the strawman of "bad people are going to do bad things regardless" makes ZERO sense.

Much like saying the crime issues in Chicago are due to poverty.

Chicago's issues go deeper than any law can even start to touch, gun laws have nothing to do with anything there and they dont even have a gun problem. They have a poverty problem.

As you sit here and type "they don't have a gun problem" we've got Chicago police saying "they do have a gun problem." Hell, there was a report out of Chicago last fall stating that city had more illegal guns than any other city in the United States.

It's a poverty problem. Geez.

@Birdman37, so according to you, the comment that bad people will do bad things regardless makes "no sense." So all of these "gun free zone" signs makes these type of people rethink their actions? These signs have eliminated school shootings? They don't go into malls? REALLY?

Chicago doesn't have a "gun problem"? Poverty is to blame? SERIOUSLY?? It is a gun problem when you have tons of guns flooding the city. It is the culture that contributes to the problem not poverty. Does someone in poverty sit at home and think, "this is bullshit! I live in government housing while someone else works a job making 6 figures and lives in such and such suburb. I'm going to go shoot someone because I'm poor!" It is culture. You disrespect me in the past, we would settle it with fists and if I whipped your ass or you whipped mine, it was over. It was settled. Culture today is, you disrespect me, I'm going to shoot you in the face, in the back, it doesn't matter. I'm going to get the last "word" in.
As for your brother in law, I know a couple of guys that love their guns, but don't go without eating. A couple have even built their own .50 cal sniper rifles.
I have multiple rifles( .22, .30-06, .270, .50 cal muzzleloader) shotguns( .410, 12 and 20 gauge), and handguns( .40 cal for me and .380 for the wife) but don't have the desire to run out and shoot stuff up. I am a hunter, believe I have the right to protect my family, and I do target shoot to stay in practice.

A couple have even built their own .50 cal sniper rifles

:nopics:

t don't have the desire to run out and shoot stuff up.

Prolly a caveat needs to be here. I've got a box of 500 .22LR that I'm planning on using this weekend to shoot up some stuff. A friend of mine and I have been collecting old prescription bottles for a bit now...figure we'll start around 25-30 yards and move out. They're clear so it's going to be a bit of fun.

I've got a box of 500 .22LR that I'm planning on using this weekend to shoot up some stuff. A friend of mine and I have been collecting old prescription bottles for a bit now...figure we'll start around 25-30 yards and move out. They're clear so it's going to be a bit of fun.

oh man, plinking around with a .22 is so much fun.

:nopics:

Prolly a caveat needs to be here. I've got a box of 500 .22LR that I'm planning on using this weekend to shoot up some stuff. A friend of mine and I have been collecting old prescription bottles for a bit now...figure we'll start around 25-30 yards and move out. They're clear so it's going to be a bit of fun.

I probably should have said "no desire to shoot people up!" I too have a few rounds of .22 LR and recently bought an AR in .22 cal. 2 25 round magazines with a red dot scope= FUN FUN FUN!!!

Much like saying the crime issues in Chicago are due to poverty.

As you sit here and type "they don't have a gun problem" we've got Chicago police saying "they do have a gun problem." Hell, there was a report out of Chicago last fall stating that city had more illegal guns than any other city in the United States.

It's a poverty problem. Geez.

You completely missed my point. The point was poverty leads to all of their issues (guns, drugs, violence, etc.). That is not a difficult thing to comprehend.

@Birdman37, so according to you, the comment that bad people will do bad things regardless makes "no sense." So all of these "gun free zone" signs makes these type of people rethink their actions? These signs have eliminated school shootings? They don't go into malls? REALLY?

Chicago doesn't have a "gun problem"? Poverty is to blame? SERIOUSLY?? It is a gun problem when you have tons of guns flooding the city. It is the culture that contributes to the problem not poverty. Does someone in poverty sit at home and think, "this is bullshit! I live in government housing while someone else works a job making 6 figures and lives in such and such suburb. I'm going to go shoot someone because I'm poor!" It is culture. You disrespect me in the past, we would settle it with fists and if I whipped your ass or you whipped mine, it was over. It was settled. Culture today is, you disrespect me, I'm going to shoot you in the face, in the back, it doesn't matter. I'm going to get the last "word" in.
As for your brother in law, I know a couple of guys that love their guns, but don't go without eating. A couple have even built their own .50 cal sniper rifles.
I have multiple rifles( .22, .30-06, .270, .50 cal muzzleloader) shotguns( .410, 12 and 20 gauge), and handguns( .40 cal for me and .380 for the wife) but don't have the desire to run out and shoot stuff up. I am a hunter, believe I have the right to protect my family, and I do target shoot to stay in practice.

No, I said the comment "bad people will do bad things regardless so having a law against is pointless" makes no sense. You're twisting my words.

No, those signs dont but when someone gets caught at those places with a gun they can be punished for it. And lets not pretend that guns at schools stop anything. Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech and even Columbine had armed security. Did em a lot of good didnt it.

Again, you're completely missing my point. The poverty (and lack of education among other things) is what leads to the guns, drugs, violence, etc. You're right about the culture tho, but again back to the poverty. A lot of these kids are growing up in single family, poor homes and lack any direction at all.

Hunting and protecting your family and even target practice are fine and if everybody were like you or me or probably most people on this forum, it wouldnt matter, but the world isnt that black and white. There is absolutely no reason why someone needs something like a 50 cal or a machine gun or a 100-round drum for that matter. Those things are designed for one thing, killing accurately and quickly.

oh man, plinking around with a .22 is so much fun.

I probably should have said "no desire to shoot people up!" I too have a few rounds of .22 LR and recently bought an AR in .22 cal. 2 25 round magazines with a red dot scope= FUN FUN FUN!!!

You guys remember playing with these as a kid?

upload_2017-3-24_14-10-41.jpeg

We got around 300 of them a few weeks ago and set them up between 40-50 yards and went through at least 500 rounds. No scopes, mind you. I know we blew off at least three hours shooting those. Had a blast!!

You completely missed my point. The point was poverty leads to all of their issues (guns, drugs, violence, etc.). That is not a difficult thing to comprehend.

Oh no. I understood your point clearly. Chicago has issues in which your saying poverty is the root cause. IE: "...poverty leads to all of their issues."
And...

We'll have to disagree here, Bird. To that notion, I say bullshit. It's a character and morality issue. It's simply what's right and what's wrong. And that is not a difficult thing to comprehend.

Oh no. I understood your point clearly. Chicago has issues in which your saying poverty is the root cause. IE: "...poverty leads to all of their issues."
And...

We'll have to disagree here, Bird. To that notion, I say bullshit. It's a character and morality issue. It's simply what's right and what's wrong. And that is not a difficult thing to comprehend.

That's just gonna have to be an agree to disagree issue because IMO poverty is the root cause for a lot of issues. That character and morality stuff stems from poverty (parents not being around because they're having to work all the time or parents not being around because they're crackhead (also can be traced to poverty a lot of the time) and so forth and so forth) too.

@Birdman37, your exact words were "again the strawman of "bad people are going to bad things regardless" makes ZERO sense."
"So having a law against is pointless" was what you added in your response.
I didn't twist anyone's words!!

You keep harping on poverty being the root of the problem. I say culture. It is about how you are raised and what you are taught to be the more important things in life. I have seen it to some extent for 24 years as an educator/coach. Some kids that are raised in poverty see education as a way to get away and get out of that life. Others see it as "easy money from the government and a place to stay." There are kids in HS that their goal is simply to graduate and get their own government assisted apartment, have 3-4 kids and get a check off of each.

We can agree to disagree on this! No skin off my back!!

@Birdman37, your exact words were "again the strawman of "bad people are going to bad things regardless" makes ZERO sense."

You keep harping on poverty being the root of the problem. I say culture. It is about how you are raised and what you are taught to be the more important things in life. I have seen it to some extent for 24 years as an educator/coach. Some kids that are raised in poverty see education as a way to get away and get out of that life. Others see it as "easy money from the government and a place to stay." There are kids in HS that their goal is simply to graduate and get their own government assisted apartment, have 3-4 kids and get a check off of each.

We can agree to disagree on this! No skin off my back!!

Dude, Im sorry I will never believe there is anyone that has the "goal" to graduate and then get on govt. assisted. That is a very narrowed minded way to look at things. Are there lazy people that get to the point where they would rather do that then put effort into trying something? Yep but no one has that as a "goal."

But yes we can agree to disagree.

Please remember that poor doesn't make you a criminal or a murder but being a murder or a criminal will make you poor

Murders choose to kill, theifs choose to steal. I was poor as a kid and I would have starved before I stole something

We can agree to disagree on this! No skin off my back!![/QU

Back
Top Bottom