| FTBL The Incline of the D-Line?

aMAZEnFan

Verified Member
The Incline of the D-Line?

For the past few seasons, the defensive line has apparently been on a slippery slope. It is the one position that has taken a major fall in terms of rank and quality. Statistically, this may be the most inexperienced group in recent history. This concern resonates throughout the Bama Nation with questions on what exactly is the issue.

One of the most concrete, yet simple answers is that the talent level hasn't been up to par.

Full Article

Coming Soon . . .Finished article on "If the Celtics can do it, why can't Alabama?"

After watching the Super Bowl, I've come to understand the importance of the D-Line. Sorry RollTideRandy, but the d-line is more important than the linebackers. Even more than the QB. You can win without a great d-line, but you had better be loaded every where else. The Patriots were better at coach, QB, WR, DB, LB, TE, and probably the kicking game. They also knew what it took to be a champion. However, the desparity on the defensive line won the Giants a super-bowl. Putting pressure on a QB changes everything.

A good defensive line can take so much pressure off of the LB's and cover men because they generate pressure and disruption in the backfield. Like the above poster has alluded to you can have the best secondary and lb's in the country but they can only cover so long and for them to get pressure on the qb they have to blitz, leaving opportunities for big plays. This isn't the case with DL'men that get pressure.

I know we'll be thin at LB but I'm more concerned how well our DL does. After what I saw at A-Day we're going to be much much better on the DL.

Bamabuzzard said:
A good defensive line can take so much pressure off of the LB's and cover men because they generate pressure and disruption in the backfield. Like the above poster has alluded to you can have the best secondary and lb's in the country but they can only cover so long and for them to get pressure on the qb they have to blitz, leaving opportunities for big plays. This isn't the case with DL'men that get pressure.

I know we'll be thin at LB but I'm more concerned how well our DL does. After what I saw at A-Day we're going to be much much better on the DL.

You got that right!!! What do you guys think of Cody at RT?

aMAZEnFan said:
Bamabuzzard said:

NG, all the way.

TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
Bamabuzzard said:

NG, all the way.

Not a shot at it, huh? TP, just think of the OL with those two beasts manning the tackles. No one would lay a finger on JPW coming off the edge. I know the coaching staff will do what is best for the team, though.

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
Bamabuzzard said:

NG, all the way.

Not a shot at it, huh? TP, just think of the OL with those two beasts manning the tackles. No one would lay a finger on JPW coming off the edge. I know the coaching staff will do what is best for the team, though.

Speaking purely hypothetically, if he were to move to the OL he'd fall into a G position, not a tackle. Now, the thought of him at LG along sandwiched between Andre and Antoine would be something to watch.

In all seriousness, he makes a prototypical DT/NG. Putting Cody on the line along with Zeke (sliding out to a DE position) and any combination of Greenwood or Deadrick give us 3 guys taking up an entire OL. Put a JACK on the line, blitz two and the QB will be in for a long, long day. Gosh, think about Rolo coming untouched up the middle with a full head of steam...or Jerrell (insert several names) coming off the end?

TerryP said:
In all seriousness, he makes a prototypical DT/NG. Putting Cody on the line along with Zeke (sliding out to a DE position) and any combination of Greenwood or Deadrick give us 3 guys taking up an entire OL. Put a JACK on the line, blitz two and the QB will be in for a long, long day. Gosh, think about Rolo coming untouched up the middle with a full head of steam...or Jerrell (insert several names) coming off the end?

That sentence made me giddy in anticipation.

quagmire3865fullgh0.jpg

As for our D-Line, I feel better about them this summer...then I did the last. Cody should be the anchor when he comes in and I fully expect him to dominate. If not...I'll be somewhat disappointed.

TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
Bamabuzzard said:

NG, all the way.

Speaking purely hypothetically, if he were to move to the OL he'd fall into a G position, not a tackle. Now, the thought of him at LG along sandwiched between Andre and Antoine would be something to watch.

Yeah, if Cody lined up aside Smitty, that left side would be like a steam roller for the running game!!!

You don't think Cody would have the footwork or technique to hold his own on that Right side?

If Cody has the athleticism, I can see him causing havoc for opposing O-Lines. He is 6'5", which is extremely tall for a Nose Guard, but it would be great if he can control the line of scrimmage with that kind of size.

You are exactly right about the D-Line making things easier for the LBs. Heck, even Jimmy will have a field day shooting the gaps. He enjoys knocking heads off anyway.

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
Bamabuzzard said:

NG, all the way.

Yeah, if Cody lined up aside Smitty, that left side would be like a steam roller for the running game!!!

You don't think Cody would have the footwork or technique to hold his own on that Right side?

If Cody has the athleticism, I can see him causing havoc for opposing O-Lines. He is 6'5", which is extremely tall for a Nose Guard, but it would be great if he can control the line of scrimmage with that kind of size.

You are exactly right about the D-Line making things easier for the LBs. Heck, even Jimmy will have a field day shooting the gaps. He enjoys knocking heads off anyway.

If you look at another 3-4, you see heights ranging from 6'1" to 6'6" in the NT position so I don't see his height as being something against him. The average C and G's he'll face will be around that height and his main responsibility is going to be clogging up the middle; as in taking up 2 OLmen. I don't know/recall what the numbers were with his leg press (as in ability to push) but I suspect they're pretty darn high. (Mike Marrow's was reported at 1000lbs, btw)

Footwork and technique can be taught. I can't tell you what his is like because I haven't heard anything about how he's doing in agility drills.

I think the question that bears asking is do you want to use him now and reap benefits immediately or 'shirt him with the hopes of him catching on to the RT position (or a G position) next season? Especially considering some of the talent we'll have ready to go in '10. The DL, IMO, is a more pressing need right now.

I know this is a comparison between JUCO and SEC players. But, if he was requiring triple teams at times in JUCO you know it'll happen with some of the teams we'll face this season. Especially if we line him up against young and inexperienced players.

TP, you are right about other 3-4 alignments having tall NGs, but I was referring to Alabama, especially in recent years.

Yeah, I keep forgetting Cody was in JUCO. He has to play where he is most comfortable, but he doesn't have a lot of time, especially since the coaching staff is continuing to add big bodies daily to both sides of the ball.

Good points, TP!!!

Let's hope we can get the RT situation locked down this year because there are going to be a lot of people, and threads, talking about the LT next year at this time. That is assuming Andre leaves early which I expect he might.

Then again, we'll be talking a lot about the C position as well. Right now, I'm more interested in the 2's on the OL than I am most other positions.

On paper, Cody seems like a natural at NG or G.

I haven't

I can't imagine this dude would have the speed to keep up at D-Tackle. Then, again, I haven't seen him live.

Footwork and technique can be taught.

TP - do you think he has the speed to keep up at DT?

shiloh said:
On paper, Cody seems like a natural at NG or G.

I haven't

I can't imagine this dude would have the speed to keep up at D-Tackle. Then, again, I haven't seen him live.

Footwork and technique can be taught.

TP - do you think he has the speed to keep up at DT?

As in playing center facing a DT? Considering he did play a situational role in JUCO as a FB it sure seems he would. I'd have to wonder if we were pulling the center for a block if he'd have the foot speed? He's a few steps slower than say Vlachos who projects as a center. (5.6 vs 5.1)

If you are asking about speed as a DT I have no concerns about him in that role. Specifically endurance. Heck, these guys are running 25+ 110's with 45 seconds rests intervals and he's doing fine.

Still, considering his size, a 5.6 isn't bad IMO.

I was watching his video highlights again at the end of last week. He has good lateral movement. It was impressive, and a bit funny, seeing him get double teamed and still get a 5+ yard push in the backfield of opposing offenses.

TerryP said:
As in playing center facing a DT? Considering he did play a situational role in JUCO as a FB it sure seems he would. I'd have to wonder if we were pulling the center for a block if he'd have the foot speed? He's a few steps slower than say Vlachos who projects as a center. (5.6 vs 5.1)

If you are asking about speed as a DT I have no concerns about him in that role. Specifically endurance. Heck, these guys are running 25+ 110's with 45 seconds rests intervals and he's doing fine.

I was watching his video highlights again at the end of last week. He has good lateral movement. It was impressive, and a bit funny, seeing him get double teamed and still get a 5+ yard push in the backfield of opposing offenses.

Those highlights are exactly why I have concern for him at NG. You saw how those guys ran right by him then he is in chase mode after that. Sure he pushs the pile some, but the opposing skill players can easily elude him. Now, if he can plug up the line of scrimmage long enough to get help, that is another story. I just see him as a more dominate force blocking and keeping defenders at bay than vice versa. If he continues to lose weight and he gets faster, none of this will be an issue. We will have to wait and see on that.

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:

Those highlights are exactly why I have concern for him at NG. You saw how those guys ran right by him then he is in chase mode after that. Sure he pushs the pile some, but the opposing skill players can easily elude him. Now, if he can plug up the line of scrimmage long enough to get help, that is another story. I just see him as a more dominate force blocking and keeping defenders at bay than vice versa. If he continues to lose weight and he gets faster, none of this will be an issue. We will have to wait and see on that.

This comes back to the responsibilities Saban requires of the NT in his scheme. The NT isn't supposed to be running down players. You heard the term "how players graded out" a lot in the Shula era. Now, while those grades were laughable at time (Con rating his OLmen by saying they graded out highly) it is a system used by all coaching staff.

In this case with the NT and Saban's scheme if he has a push a couple of yards in the backfield and takes up two defenders he's done his job exceptionally well. That leaves the run defensive (in the middle) in Rolondo, a LB to be determined, and Rashad Jackson when he's playing closer to the line.

If Cody is able to get a push of say 5-6 yards in the backfield that is going to essentially collapse the pocket on passing downs.

You'll see this evolve over this season and even more clearly in '09. What I look forward to is looking at our defense and wondering where the blitz is going to come from.

There seems to be a general misconception along the lines of "since these guys are big they can't be quick." Look at those video's again and count the number of seconds it takes him to be in the backfield. Specifically, consider the QB in passing situations. There would be no such thing as a 3 step drop. If they were choosing to 5-7 step drop by the time the QB gets set his center and guard are going to be stepping on his toes almost.

I suspect we'll see teams switch to a shotgun formation when Cody is in the game. That, is an offense adjusting to what the defense is doing...and also an OC's worst nightmare.

correctly stated above. cody's role would only be to draw 2 defenders... which his coaches have said is a MUST to stop him. hypothetically placing him on the O-line is an interesting thought. that would be one hell of a wall!

the giants did show how important a d-line is. them going as far as they did is a f#cking miracle. i should know, i'm a giants fan. one thing to note though is that their secondary was INCREDIBLE in the playoffs which really helped. thanks corey webster!

I like our DBs a lot. Rashad's play speaks for itself. Jackson is coming off a really good freshman campaign. I also believe, from what I have read, that Javy has good instincts at corner especially in attacking the ball. I don't know much about the other safety spot, but that Woodall could get the nod, and I don't know much about him. Where do you guys see our weakest and strongest parts of the D? I hope our D-line is solid, like everyone has pointed out, with pressure on the run/passing game it makes everyone else's job easier.

Back
Top Bottom