| FTBL The Coaching Carousel : UT promotes Kelsey Pope to WR coach

I really don't like him at all. It is a weird hire if you ask me, but everyone notes it's off the field, so his voice is minimal.

Would be a little weird if he was hired as DC... as an analyst though? it's the exact type of guy Saban wants. He likes to have some more senior analysts to go along with the younger guys, and he's been trying to build that back up the past couple of years. Despite the beatings he takes on message boards, Grantham is well respected. He's a guy with extensive experience in both pro and college (specifically the SEC), which Saban also likes. And keep in mind, Saban may not be done adding to that room if things work out.

Would be a little weird if he was hired as DC... as an analyst though? it's the exact type of guy Saban wants. He likes to have some more senior analysts to go along with the younger guys, and he's been trying to build that back up the past couple of years. Despite the beatings he takes on message boards, Grantham is well respected. He's a guy with extensive experience in both pro and college (specifically the SEC), which Saban also likes. And keep in mind, Saban may not be done adding to that room if things work out.

He's not seen sustained success. He's a flash in the pan at each school. Catches people his first year, but then regresses.

He's not seen sustained success. He's a flash in the pan at each school. Catches people his first year, but then regresses.

I'm just saying as an analyst he's a good fit (I'd even be fine with him being a position coach, personally). He's going to have a much different duties in this position than he would as the DC (obviously). A decent comparison (I think) is when Butch Jones was brought it. Fans scoffed and made their jokes, but he ended up being pretty important member of the support staff.

I'm just saying as an analyst he's a good fit (I'd even be fine with him being a position coach, personally).
I'll double down; he's a great fit. I like the experience he brings, specifically running 3 man front defenses, as much as I like his unorthodox blitz schemes. He's a perfect fit to work alongside Hutzler who has experience with linebackers (both outside and inside) but nothing that really stands out.

We're looking at a season this fall with arguably two of the best outside/EDGE guys in college football. Having a coach looking for ways to take advantage of that talent is a great off season move.

I'm not a big fan of comparisons from one coach to another so forgive this little foray. He reminds me of this generations Joe Lee Dunn and what he did with blitzing schemes out of his 3-3-5.

If you think about the two for a bit you'll see both were saddled with the programs and coaches they worked under. Look at Grantham working under Petrino in his second stint at Louisville. He had that defense in the top three every year in the ACC the first three years the Cardinals were in that conference. Think about that for a second: he's coaching a team filled with Big East talent and leading the ACC in defense.

(I'd even be fine with him being a position coach, personally).

A WHOLE lot more comfortable with him than the suggestions of moving Charlie Strong on the field.

I think the icky feeling expressed with Grantham is that he’s been in programs that haven’t been successful. I don’t doubt his technical and scheme ability, and I think having the Jacks and Joes to go with it at Bama will be a pleasant surprise for many.

Joe Lee Dunn. Haven’t thought about him much lately, @TerryP

I just spent the last three days walking around Disney World with our six-year old granddaughter. She had a delightful time, and it’s been a great joy to watch her enjoy it. What I don’t get - now more than ever - are the Disney acolytes who come here multiple times, doing the time shares, escaping to a fantasy land and a poor facsimile of the world (EPCOT) when they could spend similar amounts and SEE the world.

We‘ll be back when our grandson hits 5-6 for his turn. Not before. Time to roust everyone and head north.

RTR,

Tim

I'm just saying as an analyst he's a good fit (I'd even be fine with him being a position coach, personally). He's going to have a much different duties in this position than he would as the DC (obviously). A decent comparison (I think) is when Butch Jones was brought it. Fans scoffed and made their jokes, but he ended up being pretty important member of the support staff.

And this is why I am ok with the hire. He got popped by us early last year, but then basically stonewalled us. He has a knack for creating havoc, and as @TerryP stated, it'll be a welcomed sight to see that with us having the best backers in the country this Fall.

I felt last season we got home more due to effort than scheme. Anderson and Turner just never stop. My memory can serve me wrong here, but I felt To'oto'o never made a difference when he blitzed, he was always picked up by a back and did not pressure or force anything.

It definitely seems folks are backing off previous remarks they put in black and white on here about Grantham. He's a loose cannon in a negative way in my book, so an analyst role disecting film and finding tendencies is a role I support. Him attempting to fight on the field is not where I want to be, so we'll see if he has what it takes.

I just spent the last three days walking around Disney World with our six-year old granddaughter. She had a delightful time, and it’s been a great joy to watch her enjoy it. What I don’t get - now more than ever - are the Disney acolytes who come here multiple times, doing the time shares, escaping to a fantasy land and a poor facsimile of the world (EPCOT) when they could spend similar amounts and SEE the world.
Rather them there with you than here with me. The questions ...

Have you eaten at Hyman's? I wanted to hit Aaron's Deli this weekend and it was too crowded for my taste; stepped next door to Hyman's. I've been there more than a dozen times—a couple of times a year—and it's never disappointed. I had a grit cake topped with salmon croquettes and served with their Parmesan cheese sauce...damn, stomach growling thinking about it this morning. They call it Carolina Delight. Highly recommended!!!

Screenshot 2022-03-01 8.16.49 AM.png

I don't have a problem with Todd bitch slapping James Franklin.
I didn't see the game. I did see the replay's of the exchange that Sunday. It struck me as a little odd that we never saw the other side; we only saw Grantham because the camera was always focused on his face. What also stood out is it started with Franklin yelling and pointing to one of Georgia's players. You can see Grantham see Franklin yelling, turn his head to see who it was, and then he explodes.

I remember Georgia fans complaining about how Vandy was blocking that day...not clearly, but it certainly was the subject of the week.

I don't have a problem with Todd bitch slapping James Franklin.

I just wanted to be part of this thread.

To be fair and completely honest, I wouldn't have had a problem with that either. James Franklin is probably one of my least favorite coaches in the entire country. I despise people like Coach O and Art Briles that sweep sexual assault under the rug and allow law breaking to go unchecked in their programs. I can't stand Kirby for everything he did against us on his way out and how he continues to be a dork, same with Lincoln Riley. Franklin is a guy I just can't stand looking at, and once you add his arrogance into the mix he's a guy I really can't stand.

So he's making calls on Saturday's? He's not coaching a position from anything I have read. He'll do some analysis and be in some meetings, so yeah, minimal.

Jules Montinar, a former player at Eastern Kentucky and graduate assistant at Purdue, didn’t have any connection to Alabama other than seeing a job open up on FootballScoop.com. He sent a résumé and followed up several times and left a positive impression with Saban’s administrative assistant Linda Leoni. When Smart and then-director of player of development Glenn Schumann were down to the final candidates, Leoni mentioned Montinar.

“Kirby called me and two days later I was on the plane interviewing,” Montinar says. “The rest is history.”

Montinar, who is now the cornerbacks coach at Texas State, ended up working closely with Saban. As other analysts worked side-by-side with assistants, Montinar drew the assignment of coaching cornerbacks with Saban.

“You’ve got to bring your ‘A’ game every time,” Montinar says. “There’s nowhere to hide.”

Their roles isn't exactly clear, but this is based on what I could find on internet.
Banko/Biffiani and Huxtable.. they could be working on DL, LB, Safeties... it's a matter of which one working where... Can't find that anywhere.
I also don't know which one works with Peter Golding... But I would say it's Todd Graham. This is huge for one reason. Blitz packages. Golding will be very lethal this fall. THis will help our OLB a lot.

GA:
Braxton Barker/ likely help with little stuff such as setting up drills/meeting/ helping other cutting up films.

Analyst
Nick McGriff: Likely to work with Hutzler, TE
Derek Dooley-Offensive analyst, likely working with QB/BOB offense.
Zach Mettenberger Likely to work with QB/Offense
Dean Altobelli- a lawyer who used to play for Saban at Michigan State. probably work with DB given his history.
George Banko- Defensive analyst
Bert Biffani-Defensive analyst
Nick Cochran-Likely working with RB meetings/ practice drills.
Dave Huxtable-Defensive analyst
Will Lawing- Offensive analyst, likely working with TE
Alex Mortensen-Offensive analyst, working with QB
Mark Orphey-Defensive analyst, working with DB and saban.

my main point: Their roles isn't minimal. They assist the coaches, provide vauable inputs.

Golding will be very lethal this fall.
I am not as down on Golding as many but never think of him as being lethal :). He is getting better for sure and will have a lot to work with which is great. I do think Graham will help in this regard but having Anderson and Turner out there gives the foundation to be really good but I would love to see our Defense back to being feared just never think of that with Golding as the DC and the newer offensive strategies.

I am not as down on Golding as many but never think of him as being lethal :). He is getting better for sure and will have a lot to work with which is great. I do think Graham will help in this regard but having Anderson and Turner out there gives the foundation to be really good but I would love to see our Defense back to being feared just never think of that with Golding as the DC and the newer offensive strategies.
I want to point out something: Saban said that we won't have defense of what we had few years ago, but we'll be fielding a defense with better players that will get us off the field on 3rd/4th downs.

Dean Altobelli- a lawyer who used to play for Saban at Michigan State. probably work with DB given his history.

This is out of left field to me. Is he actually studying to be a coach?? I wonder if the guy made some money and has nest egg and decided to do something different?

I could see him being listed as an analyst and then learning stuff from coaching and a compliance perspective. Depending on the type of law he practiced, he could be a valuable asset when it comes to NIL, compliance, all the legal crap they have to deal with.

This is out of left field to me. Is he actually studying to be a coach?? I wonder if the guy made some money and has nest egg and decided to do something different?

I could see him being listed as an analyst and then learning stuff from coaching and a compliance perspective. Depending on the type of law he practiced, he could be a valuable asset when it comes to NIL, compliance, all the legal crap they have to deal with.

Pretty sure he's got some money, but he's been at UA for a while now... since 2010. Dude just likes it.

Their roles isn't exactly clear, but this is based on what I could find on internet.
Banko/Biffiani and Huxtable.. they could be working on DL, LB, Safeties... it's a matter of which one working where... Can't find that anywhere.
I also don't know which one works with Peter Golding... But I would say it's Todd Graham. This is huge for one reason. Blitz packages. Golding will be very lethal this fall. THis will help our OLB a lot.

GA:
Braxton Barker/ likely help with little stuff such as setting up drills/meeting/ helping other cutting up films.

Analyst
Nick McGriff: Likely to work with Hutzler, TE
Derek Dooley-Offensive analyst, likely working with QB/BOB offense.
Zach Mettenberger Likely to work with QB/Offense
George Banko- Defensive analyst
Bert Biffani-Defensive analyst
Nick Cochran-Likely working with RB meetings/ practice drills.
Dave Huxtable-Defensive analyst
Will Lawing- Offensive analyst, likely working with TE
Alex Mortensen-Offensive analyst, working with QB
Mark Orphey-Defensive analyst, working with DB and saban.

my main point: Their roles isn't minimal. They assist the coaches, provide vauable inputs.

Look at all of those analysts. You can't think they all have major roles in calling the defense. Does their analysis get used, of course it does! You can't have that many people having a major role without something going wrong from my experiences. Golding will use the analysis game to game, but ultimately I cannot imagine he strays far from what he has been doing. A good leader will accept help and take the positives, so we'll see. In me saying all of this I'm not trying to diminish the effort and time each of these guys put into the program. They put in a lot of hours for very little pay. It's no different than being an accountant and coming to the Big 4(3). You get paid peanuts, put in a lot of hours doing the grunt work, but it will set up your future for something nice.

I 100% agree with you that his blitz packages will be welcomed, and see a lot of success. Atleast that's what I would think. That is the main reason I see this as a good hire.

If in fact he doesn't play a minimal role, I just hope he does knock it out of the park.

Just added another one. Brandon was right. COrnelius Williams... Interesting. That's some hella experience in analyst room. This put him in position for WR coaching spot next year should Holmon Wiggins leave...

He wasn't the one I was alluding to, but as mentioned, there are/were several offers out there.

Back
Top Bottom