| FTBL The Coaching Carousel : UT promotes Kelsey Pope to WR coach

I watched the Ole Miss press conference after their game with Tennessee and heard Lane joking around about Jimmy being in the room and pointing to him. Lane's been linked to LSU.

USC is open and you guys have seen where James Franklin's name has been linked to the job. In the last few days he's switched agencies signing with CAA: Jimmy Sexton's group.

Clay Helton has been with Sexton a long time and I read about that five or six years ago.

I know Orgeron is with a guy name Uberstine, or something like that and the WSU ex-coach is with an agency.

Current openings/firings.

Team2021 Coach (Record)2022 Coach
ConnecticutRandy Edsall (0-2), I Lou Spanos?
Georgia SouthernChad Lunsford (1-3), I Kevin Whitley?
LSUEd Orgeron (4-3) - effective end of season?
Texas TechMatt Wells (5-3), I Sonny Cumbie?
USCClay Helton (1-1), I Donte Williams?
Washington StateNick Rolovich (4-3), I Jake Dickert?

USC is open and you guys have seen where James Franklin's name has been linked to the job. In the last few days he's switched agencies signing with CAA: Jimmy Sexton's group.
This is a good point to bring up. The last three coaches hired at USC have been represented by Sexton.

Franklin speaks clarifying nothing:

If you considered everything
..USCw...should be best job...
The LSU love...i don’t understand.....
I agree with this....at this particular time.

Reason being. USC has been through a rough spell since Pete Carrol left. They went through sanctions and have been down ever since. They are in a prime spot similar to where we were when CNS came along. Still licking their wounds and no longer under the watchful eye of the NCAA. We know every institution pays players under the table and they all get extra benefits. It is all part of the recruitment and maintaining of players. It is all swept under the rug until something egregious comes along. This means USC is ready to start cheating like everyone else again.

LSU is just getting started with all the crap with the Basketball team along with the garbage that has transpired under Orgeron's watch. If the NCAA comes down on LSU, whomever the HC is, will be handicapped out of the gate and will have an uphill battle. I think any other time, LSU is the better gig because it is the lone school everyone dreams of playing for in Louisiana. Couple that with the fact that it is one of , if not the most, talent rich state in the south and you can see why they have had two absolute imbecile's win there since CNS left for greener pastures.

If you considered everything
..USCw...should be best job...
The LSU love...i don’t understand.....

Honestly, what is not to love about Louisiana, but so much more to love about California? Let's see, they will make similar amounts of money, but be forced to pay more in taxes and housing is way more expensive out West. Traffic to and from work is night and day difference. At USC you're competing with Hollywood for goodness sakes. Can you imagine the headaches you would have to deal with like I'm sure Carrol dealt with when it came to Leinhart and Bush? Making money is legal now, so it's a tad different, but could you imagine dealing with brokers if you started actually winning in Hollywood? In Louisiana you have MUCH better food. I like spicy, so cajun wins out big time over luxury restaurants. Life is much cheaper in Baton Rouge than Los Angeles. There would be zero difference in recruiting. LSU has talent everywhere around it and bordering Texas. They can also go nation wide at this point. USC can go nationwide, but how many kids have they taken out of Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, and Georgia? Sure, USC doesn't have to with what California produces, but Rivals did a breakdown and it shows California is slipping with their talent and even further with how the talent pans out compared to their rankings. LSU breathes football. USC can't fill a stadium unless they win National Championships. LSU is a shit show, as is USC. Neither is ideal right now for what you have to put up with from an administration standpoint and lingering allegations, but give me LSU by a wide margin.

Honestly, what is not to love about Louisiana, but so much more to love about California? Let's see, they will make similar amounts of money, but be forced to pay more in taxes and housing is way more expensive out West. Traffic to and from work is night and day difference. At USC you're competing with Hollywood for goodness sakes. Can you imagine the headaches you would have to deal with like I'm sure Carrol dealt with when it came to Leinhart and Bush? Making money is legal now, so it's a tad different, but could you imagine dealing with brokers if you started actually winning in Hollywood? In Louisiana you have MUCH better food. I like spicy, so cajun wins out big time over luxury restaurants. Life is much cheaper in Baton Rouge than Los Angeles. There would be zero difference in recruiting. LSU has talent everywhere around it and bordering Texas. They can also go nation wide at this point. USC can go nationwide, but how many kids have they taken out of Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, and Georgia? Sure, USC doesn't have to with what California produces, but Rivals did a breakdown and it shows California is slipping with their talent and even further with how the talent pans out compared to their rankings. LSU breathes football. USC can't fill a stadium unless they win National Championships. LSU is a shit show, as is USC. Neither is ideal right now for what you have to put up with from an administration standpoint and lingering allegations, but give me LSU by a wide margin.
Got you....great points

They are both excellent jobs but they are both extremely different jobs. USC is set up better for a CEO type coach, which Franklin is. But, it takes a good staff to make it work. At LSU, and pretty much everywhere else, that isn't a recipe for long term success. I'd also add that the Franklin switch to Sexton happened a while back... I think it happened not long after his old agent (Trace Armstrong), failed to get him the Tennessee job. He wants out of Happy Valley... problem is, he thinks he's worth much more than he is.

IMO SC is a better job and it's not even close. In my book SC is one of the top 5 programs of all-time.
Agree it is interesting to see how people evaluate things. I think the here and now drowns out the bigger historical picture for many especially the younger generation. USC is one of the all time top programs. One decade does not erase history.

They are both excellent jobs but they are both extremely different jobs. USC is set up better for a CEO type coach, which Franklin is. But, it takes a good staff to make it work. At LSU, and pretty much everywhere else, that isn't a recipe for long term success. I'd also add that the Franklin switch to Sexton happened a while back... I think it happened not long after his old agent (Trace Armstrong), failed to get him the Tennessee job. He wants out of Happy Valley... problem is, he thinks he's worth much more than he is.
He may well want out of happy valley....but why..awesome place!
Obrian got things settled down there...Sandusky is in prison...
Nice tight community....

I think it would be USC then LSU. USC has bigger alumnus all may still be living in Calf. Franklin does go to any place it would be USC. I just don't see him going to LSU. LSU may try and get one of Saban former coaches. Napier already in Louisianan.

Back
Top Bottom