| RECRUIT Still time left, but so far the best recruiting story of the year comes from Tony Mitchell and Auburn.

TerryP

Staff
FkgzG1bWIAIRN-6

I can't say it happens every year, but it sure as hell happens A LOT—counting their eggs before they hatch.

I don't doubt AU caught Mitchell's attention. According to what I understand AU made a serious run pushing their NIL program. One person I know—who has been covering Alabama sports from probably 30 years now—said he'd confirmed they pitched Mitchell on a two million dollar package contingent on four years on the Plains: A 500K per year deal. (He was one of four they made similar pitches late in this recruiting season—desperately looking for a major headline.)

I've always wondered how I'd react to these "recruiting beat writers" banging on the door all the time. I suspect, like I handle a lot of political polls, I'd say something just to get out of the conversation. We know how reporters on the Auburn beat have covered players and coaches—I put nothing past them.

I don't look at Caldwell in the same light as Jeff Lee. I'm not disappointed Lee was caught up in this story as well ... teasing his board members of the "upcoming flip from Bama."

If you told me their beat writers forced Mitchell to change him mind? I would believe it...seen the same with Bama guys who turned a guy who was going to flip back to his original commitment.

I can't say it happens every year, but it sure as hell happens A LOT—counting their eggs before they hatch.

I don't doubt AU caught Mitchell's attention. According to what I understand AU made a serious run pushing their NIL program. One person I know—who has been covering Alabama sports from probably 30 years now—said he'd confirmed they pitched Mitchell on a two million dollar package contingent on four years on the Plains: A 500K per year deal. (He was one of four they made similar pitches late in this recruiting season—desperately looking for a major headline.)

I've always wondered how I'd react to these "recruiting beat writers" banging on the door all the time. I suspect, like I handle a lot of political polls, I'd say something just to get out of the conversation. We know how reporters on the Auburn beat have covered players and coaches—I put nothing past them.

I don't look at Caldwell in the same light as Jeff Lee. I'm not disappointed Lee was caught up in this story as well ... teasing his board members of the "upcoming flip from Bama."

If you told me their beat writers forced Mitchell to change him mind? I would believe it...seen the same with Bama guys who turned a guy who was going to flip back to his original commitment.
2 mill package....omg
High school kid that may or may not make it in CF....( and there are plenty)...and one of four......

Something is so wrong with/about NIL....bad wrong...proof

I actually know Caldwell and he is a pretty good guy, just wrapped up in that O&B cult though. He is from the Sylacauga area I believe. He used to swing by and visit with us on a weekly basis when I was coaching here, even though we didn’t have any recruits. I just hope he doesn’t turn into another Phillip Marshall!!😂

I actually know Caldwell and he is a pretty good guy, just wrapped up in that O&B cult though. He is from the Sylacauga area I believe. He used to swing by and visit with us on a weekly basis when I was coaching here, even though we didn’t have any recruits. I just hope he doesn’t turn into another Phillip Marshall!!😂
What’s to stop him from being another PM? It’s what their cult base wants. It sells.

Back
Top Bottom