| FTBL Standing up, sitting down

Trust me.....Last weeks game was a rooty poot. There was some excitement due to the fact that it was the first game of the season.

Bama has plenty of folks on their feet and plenty of yelling when the UT,LSU,and Auburns show up.

2 years ago when Florida had their anus handed to them was the loudest I ever experienced at BDS. 5 years ago when OU came to town was pretty loud, but I still say the Florida game was the loudest. That place rocked from the first play from scrimmage and didn't let up all day.

Don't worry about BDS we get up when we need to.

I see this argument all the time. Some of these older BAMA fans have been around the program donating money for years. If they ask you to sit, have a seat. It doesnt take away from your game experience. Its called respect.

Is that old guy asking you to sit a war veteran that can't stand up for long periods of time? Does he need to stay home so you can enjoy the game? I know thats an extreme example, but you don't know why someone isnt standing so dont be a jerk. Show some respect and class that BAMA fans are always talkign about.

Outlaw said:
TerryP said:
spooky112483 said:
It Takes Eleven said:
reger60 said:
rammerjammer said:
I'm up and down the whole game. Big plays I jump up, and when we are cheering the defense on to make a 3rd down stop, I'm up.

I try and be respectful of those around me. Fortunately I'm around a good group of folks. We are all sort of in agreement. We all sort of stand up when everybody else does. Bottom line folks sit. Don't be a moron and be the only one standing when there is nobody within a 100' radius of you standing. It's all about being respectful. If folks use common sense then everybody is happy.

What he said.

Good post. That's how our section works as well.

WHAT!? Don't be a moron and stand when nobody else is!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?! You are the moron that is not standing up! This isn't a tennis match this is a FOOTBALL game! If you are anywhere near me in the stands I will MAKE YOU stand up! I will get in your grill and remind you where you are...AT A FOOTBALL GAME!! STAND UP! Stand up when our offense is on the field... and deffinatly get up when our D is on the field!! STAND UP! and SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to sit then stay at home! This is what's wrong with Bryant Denny...we aren't feared at home because you whimps won't stand up and scream the whole time. GET UP AND SCREAM UNTIL YOU'RE RED IN THE FACE!!! UNTIL YOU PASS OUT!!! Those boys on the field our giving their all and so shall we in the stands!!!!!!!!
ROLL TIDE!!

It's called being 23 and not understanding who those people are that are sitting that happened to have those seats before you were a twinkle in your dads eye.

I might add, by getting "into the grill" of some of these older Alumni you are more than likely to find yourself sitting...or laying, depending on just how old the fella you approach that way is.

The excellence my generation expects to see on the field is the same excellence we expect to see in the stands. Unfortunately, over the last decade, what I've seen in the student sections is an embarrassment.

I concur again...

Bottle to the face, anyone? :roll:

You monsters, Spooky is a female you know. I seriously doubt a ass-whoopin would ensue unless the ramp lady came down. :D :lol:

I agree some what though, if your at the football game...stand up. Stay at home if you want to sit, but also be curtious to those around you anyway. :roll:

Tider 27 said:
Outlaw said:
TerryP said:
spooky112483 said:
It Takes Eleven said:
reger60 said:
rammerjammer said:
I'm up and down the whole game. Big plays I jump up, and when we are cheering the defense on to make a 3rd down stop, I'm up.

I try and be respectful of those around me. Fortunately I'm around a good group of folks. We are all sort of in agreement. We all sort of stand up when everybody else does. Bottom line folks sit. Don't be a moron and be the only one standing when there is nobody within a 100' radius of you standing. It's all about being respectful. If folks use common sense then everybody is happy.

What he said.

Good post. That's how our section works as well.

WHAT!? Don't be a moron and stand when nobody else is!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?! You are the moron that is not standing up! This isn't a tennis match this is a FOOTBALL game! If you are anywhere near me in the stands I will MAKE YOU stand up! I will get in your grill and remind you where you are...AT A FOOTBALL GAME!! STAND UP! Stand up when our offense is on the field... and deffinatly get up when our D is on the field!! STAND UP! and SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to sit then stay at home! This is what's wrong with Bryant Denny...we aren't feared at home because you whimps won't stand up and scream the whole time. GET UP AND SCREAM UNTIL YOU'RE RED IN THE FACE!!! UNTIL YOU PASS OUT!!! Those boys on the field our giving their all and so shall we in the stands!!!!!!!!
ROLL TIDE!!

It's called being 23 and not understanding who those people are that are sitting that happened to have those seats before you were a twinkle in your dads eye.

I might add, by getting "into the grill" of some of these older Alumni you are more than likely to find yourself sitting...or laying, depending on just how old the fella you approach that way is.

The excellence my generation expects to see on the field is the same excellence we expect to see in the stands. Unfortunately, over the last decade, what I've seen in the student sections is an embarrassment.

I concur again...

Bottle to the face, anyone? :roll:

You monsters, Spooky is a female you know. I seriously doubt a ass-whoopin would ensue unless the ramp lady came down. :D :lol:

I agree some what though, if your at the football game...stand up. Stay at home if you want to sit, but also be curtious to those around you anyway. :roll:

Thank you, Tider. And of course I would never be rude or uncurtious to someone. But if the "older" people that buy season tickets and sit down at every game have a problem with me standing during the one game a year I get to go to then that ain't right either.

I think something I've noticed about this is that the people who want to sit the whole game (not in any particular section mind you, and this has been my experience) never ask politely, "Hey could you guys sit down more often?" because they know its a little bit of a lame request. They always say crap under their breath like, "well I wish we could sit down and watch the touchdown..." or something.

But the funniest part about the whole thing is this:

One person will moan and complain about standing up and making noise at the game, but if they're listening to an account of the game on Sportscenter that says, "the fans at BDS were loud and intimidating, Chris Leak couldn't even give audibles to his receivers.." that same person will say, "Yep we are one of the toughest stadiums to play in".

And by the way, Nick Saban has an opinion on this as well. He is telling new students to the University that THEY have a role in the football team's success. Specifically, he said that this should be one of the toughest places for an opponent to come to and play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZU2KMpZyc

How do you make a place tough to play at?

YOU GET LOUD and sometimes you gotta STAND UP.

ijijmijij said:
And by the way, Nick Saban has an opinion on this as well. He is telling new students to the University that THEY have a role in the football team's success. Specifically, he said that this should be one of the toughest places for an opponent to come to and play.

And you can't be loud and sit? :roll:

Beause I sit some and I get really loud. Maybe it's the good old Army training.

This may be controversial, but screw anyone who wants to get mad because you are standing at the game. I'm a tide pride member and it absolutely drives me crazy that no one wants to stand and cheer for the team. It completely takes away the home field advantage when no one will stand up and get loud.

mckinjc said:
This may be controversial, but screw anyone who wants to get mad because you are standing at the game. I'm a tide pride member and it absolutely drives me crazy that no one wants to stand and cheer for the team. It completely takes away the home field advantage when no one will stand up and get loud.

See above. Can't you cheer without standing? Or do your vocal chords only work when your knees aren't bent?

This is the dumbest argument ever, and it comes up each year.

Now I stand when the action is good, but I don't stand the whole time (Tide Pride- since 2001). Typically I stand on defense, and sit on offense. Sorry my back and knees are bad from my time in the Army. Do you have any issues with that?

I also think it's rude to block the view of the elderly gentleman behind me the whole time. Now if it was a young person behind me complaining then I may have an issue. But old timer has just as much right to enjoy as I do, and he's had those seats since the 70's. I just choose not to be an idiot about it. But hey, thats me I was raised differently.

Ahhh, those oldie goldies just need some encouragement. :D

I sat in a very exclusive section for the '92 Iron Bowl. We were given the tickets by a big donor, yadda yadda. I started off the game in the poor folks section :wink: and met my Dad over in the rooty-toot section in the 2nd half.

When I went over the section was lifeless. I swear some were even sleeping. If I remember correctly we were only up 7-0 at half, and neither team had really done much to wake up the yawners.

Anyway as soon as we got clicking in the 2nd half I was screaming, jumping, etc... At 1st they all looked at me like I was crazy but by the next series or so I had 'em standing, screaming, etc... Several mentioned to me at the end how all they needed was someone to liven up the place.

Fact is I didn't like it that were quiet, but I didn't try to change 'em just for me and what I wanted. That generation will probably never change. It is what it is. I doubt we'll be having this discussion in 20 years. As rammer jammer mentioned respect and common sense goes a long way in co-existing. We may never understand them but ultimately we are there for the same common goal.

RollTideinGA said:
ijijmijij said:

And you can't be loud and sit? :roll:

Beause I sit some and I get really loud. Maybe it's the good old Army training.

Oh no, you can be loud and sit. I yell while I'm sitting too but I guarantee you that the loudest people are also standing some of the time.

I can't help it myself, when I saw Grant run the first touchdown of the season in, my legs sprung out from under me and I was jumping and screaming for probably about a full minute. Then I sat down.

I didn't mean to create a divide with this discussion by the way--I guess we all just have to work with each other.

That means don't get mad because folks like myself are die-hard fans that were in second grade when we won our last NC--we still want our share of experiencing the excitement of championship caliber teams in person. We get PUMPED when big plays are made, and even though I stay true to the adage, "Act like you've been there before" I will still scream and jump around every now and then----doesn't mean I want to rip down the goalposts when we beat Western Carolina or anything.

RollTideinGA said:
mckinjc said:

See above. Can't you cheer without standing? Or do your vocal chords only work when your knees aren't bent?

This is the dumbest argument ever, and it comes up each year.

Now I stand when the action is good, but I don't stand the whole time (Tide Pride- since 2001). Typically I stand on defense, and sit on offense. Sorry my back and knees are bad from my time in the Army. Do you have any issues with that?

I also think it's rude to block the view of the elderly gentleman behind me the whole time. Now if it was a young person behind me complaining then I may have an issue. But old timer has just as much right to enjoy as I do, and he's had those seats since the 70's. I just choose not to be an idiot about it. But hey, thats me I was raised differently.

Last thing I will post on this topic:

I want to make it clear that I don't think anyone should stand the entire game unless the people behind you are doing the same or don't care. I doubt that anyone who wants to stand up every now and then thinks standing the whole game is a legitimate right that comes with the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom