| FTBL šŸˆ Spring camp, 2022: A-day Saturday at 2 CT

Saturday's starters

LT Amari Kight

LG Javion Cohen

C Seth McLaughlin

RG Damieon George

RT JC Latham

(y) or (n)
That seems about right! A little surprised Latham didn't make the move to LT... But I'm optimistic to see George at a guard spot, it seems like that fits his game better. Hopefully Knight is coming on strong, if not maybe it's Randolph in the wings?!

RTR

Waddle was a phenom. Had it not been for the stacked talent and he was the main or even secondary target, his career would have been as good as anyone in the Saban era. IMO the difference between he and Jojo is the physicality & strength... They're both short and super fast, but Waddle had a weird powerful type of explosiveness that set him apart.
If Waddle doesn't get hurt vs the Viles in 2020, does Devonte win the Heisman??

If Waddle doesn't get hurt vs the Viles in 2020, does Devonte win the Heisman??

Doubtful, but I think Mac takes the trophy even with where he finished. I also think Najee is a Top 3 guy as well if Waddle doesn't get hurt.

What that injury did do though was show the whole world what we knew we had in DaVonta. It also made him millions more in money, and the great thing about it is that even with the injury Waddle didn't lose a dime!!! What a perfect situation that happened from a bad one.

Saturday's starters

LT Amari Kight

LG Javion Cohen

C Seth McLaughlin

RG Damieon George

RT JC Latham

(y) or (n)
Okay.. This isn't bad combination. Unfortunately, it won't be the line up going into the fall.

LT-Latham
LG-Cohen
C-McLaughlin
RG-Ekiyor
RT- Steen or Randolph or George

if Kight come in strong... then we could see Kight at LT and Latham at RT.

This is going to be interesting for Steen to find a spot in starting 5...

Doubtful, but I think Mac takes the trophy even with where he finished. I also think Najee is a Top 3 guy as well if Waddle doesn't get hurt.

What that injury did do though was show the whole world what we knew we had in DaVonta. It also made him millions more in money, and the great thing about it is that even with the injury Waddle didn't lose a dime!!! What a perfect situation that happened from a bad one.
Great points. I think Mac wins that trophy otherwise... Pretty ironic.

And I agree with Devonta being able to show his talents. In a crazy way, while I do think Waddle is the more dangerous and valuable NFL player, that situation was made for Devonta. He was more built for the range of routes, meticulous footwork, elite hands, consistency, etc. He was so dominant that season it was crazy!

Okay.. This isn't bad combination. Unfortunately, it won't be the line up going into the fall.

LT-Latham
LG-Cohen
C-McLaughlin
RG-Ekiyor

Considering Steen has 30+ starts at left tackle I've got the two guys flipped with Latham on the right side.

LT-Latham
LG-Cohen
C-McLaughlin
RG-Ekiyor

I just don't see Knight starting at either tackle come fall. Then again maybe the OL coach was so bad that MAYBE you really couldn't tell who of the OL had ability. I am not a member of the BSC (Bama Sunshine Club). We'll see at the end of fall camp.

Alabama football's success on the early signing day in December extended past high school players.

In addition to signing the No. 2 recruiting class in 2022, according to 247Sports Composite, the Crimson Tide received a commitment from Eli Ricks, a former LSU cornerback who had placed his name in the transfer portal.

Alabama could have used him last season with its cornerback depth depleted in late 2021, but Ricks will also be valuable this season. He was the No. 2 player in 247Sports' transfer portal rankings when he announced his decision Dec. 15, and he brings SEC experience.

"He's a good, solid DB," Alabama defensive back Brian Branch said Tuesday. "I feel like he has great technique and he has the skillset to be one of the best corners in the league."

As a freshman in 2020, Ricks earned a spot on the coaches All-SEC second team and Associated Press All-Freshman team. He also made the AP's All-America third team that season.

He intercepted four passes that season, including two touchdowns.

Ricks played in only six games in 2021. Alabama coach Nick Saban said Ricks is coming off a shoulder injury, which made him unable to do anything for a while. He began his return during the offseason program with the Crimson Tide. Saban also said Ricks lost weight but is gaining it back.

Ricks is in competition with cornerbacks Kool-Aid McKinstry and Khyree Jackson, both of whom started the College Football Playoff championship game against Georgia. Josh Jobe and Jalyn Armour-Davis dealt with injuries in the postseason after starting for most of the year. Both have moved onto the NFL Draft.

McKinstry and Jackson have a head start on studying the playbook and the defensive system, but Ricks is working hard to catch up.

Linebacker Henry To'oTo'o said Ricks asks a lot of questions. He has picked To'oTo'o's brain about keys to transferring successfully after the former Tennessee linebacker gained a starting spot in his first season with the Crimson Tide in 2021.

"He works really, really hard," To'oTo'o siad. "Ever since he came in Day 1, he wanted to learn."

The linebacker said whenever he is in the training room, Ricks is always there.

"It's the little things like that," To'oTo'o said, "that you kind of take note of players like that and know he's going to be a good addition to the program."

Two years ago the team ran over 130 plays in their second scrimmage. There were a lot last year as well: both with emphasis on the passing game. Saban was pointing out how the second team secondary needed improvement last spring.

If the trend holds true there would be an emphasis on the passing game again today. That leads me to thinking about Milroe.

If y'all think about it you'll remember seeing several discussions about the portal and the QB position. It's an easy thought to consider; with Simpson in the wings does Milroe look elsewhere?

I've gotten the impression this week that his attitude is looked at skeptically at times: unfairly. There isn't anything we've discussed that's lost on him: he knows the biggest need is passing improvement. Accuracy, timing, those essentials for the offense Alabama runs. (If it was "run 'centric" good lord.) No one could ask him to work harder on those things, ya know?

I expect the next three days to be interesting. With several attending today's scrimmage we're sure to see different viewpoints on how he's coming along.

That reminds me of something on Ty.

Saban mentioned "the speed of the game" when talking about Simpson this past week. Translated, he's making mistakes when he's pressured.

This past week after the athletic department posted a highlight video from practices a member here mentioned Ty's mobility. Spring camp has turned out to be just like what we heard when he was practicing with the team before the playoffs; he's checking all the boxes.

I've come away the opinion that if he's given time, behind a decent offensive line, he can tear up a defense. He's got that kind of accuracy.

Ty carried his HS team to the state title. The 2 games I went and watched, against very strong teams, he was scrambling right from the snap. But made sound decisions and could put the ball wherever he wanted. Seldom got the chance to stand in the pocket and chuck one so he learned to throw from the run and was very good at it. Beat HS pass Iā€™ve ever seen, he was escaping 3 rushers had his back to the LOS, got a sliver of space, turned around and hit a guy in stride at the 5 for a TD. Ball was thrown from his own 45ā€¦

JMO ..Milroe will not be at Bama come September. I am sure Nick is going to do everything he can to keep Jalen some what happy for you need 3 QB's that can play but you're going to have a difficult time keeping 3.

I hope he sees the value in one more season at Alabama. Then he can compete for the #1 spot or transfer with two years of knowledge under Saban as a stepping stone.

Back
Top Bottom