| FTBL šŸˆ Spring camp, 2022: A-day Saturday at 2 CT

Davestwin

Check out the amazing riches at every position group except maybe at TE. Spring and Summer practices are going to be as competitive as I can remember on a Saban team thus far. RBā€™s, receivers, both tackle positions on the o-line, the d-line less so, inside LBā€™s, backups to outside LBā€™s and several DB positions are all loaded with talent and open for the taking. Of course, it always seems some player we werenā€™t expecting to shine yet pops through the talent clutter during the Spring practices.

Who do you think might fit the bill this Spring?

"Projecting Tide's depth chart" is a misnomer. It's the roster broken down per position group: there's no spring depth chart in this article.
I agree in that Depth is not the word because it is misleading as to so many positions. While some players do fit the label while others are just players on scholarship with a number. The OL is one of those positions/groups.

I haven't heard much about who performed well in 4th quarter program. Usually, we get an idea of who's doing well that tells a lot about where they are heading into 4th quarters. I know I've seen plenty of Ricks, Gibbs, Brooks, Will Anderson, etc.

We need to get our players out of spring camp injuries free for most part.

This is what I'm looking for this spring:
1) QB development. I want to improve his decision making skills at LOS. Many time he has audibled out of a playcall when it wasn't right call. I want to see him progress things little faster when looking for receivers down the field. I want to see Milroe to take a step forward in his development as QB. I hope we'll limit Young this spring and give Milroe and Simpson lot of actions.

2) I'm curious to see the Young Rbs development and how they progress. WE might see few experiment at RBs since we have lot of RBs out.

3) OL- I don't think we'll see Cohen, George and other much this spring. They've been banged up this season. Good opportunites to see young players to get valuable playing time.

4) WRs- Someone has to step up. I expect to see Brooks, Hall, JoJo and others to show out this spring. Maturity is the storyline this spring.

5) CB/Safeties: I don't think this one is a locked. I know Eli Ricks got one spot, but what about the other 2? I think we'll see wide competition this spring. Moore really need to show out to show that he is better.

This spring, I kinda think we'll see 1-33 players locking up positions .. and rest will play out into summer and into fall.

"Projecting Tide's depth chart" is a misnomer. It's the roster broken down per position group: there's no spring depth chart in this article.

OK ā€¦ forget depth chart for a moment ā€¦ who pops through unexpectedly this Spring into Fall?

As for the writerā€™s ā€œmisnomer of depth chart instead of a roster broken down per position groupā€ ... if thatā€™s truly the case, why did he put at least in the top spots for each position group players who most fans would guess would be in the running to start and be 2nd string or whatever the first backups are called now. I mean if it was just a list of all of the players from each position group shown without any concern for depth charting, why didnā€™t guys who started last year ever turn up down on the list? The way I took it, itā€™s this writerā€™s guess/projection of who will be 1,2,3, etc by the order in which theyā€™re listed (again, at least at the top). Now I can understand if you feel itā€™s too early to issue such guesses but thatā€™s not the same as saying thereā€™s no projections in his piece, only groups of players in random order by position group.

@Davestwin

Starting with one example let's take the running backs. How do you have a spring depth chart with Jase and Roydell listed as #2 and #3 when they won't be practicing in spring ball?

The offensive line is another. He has Cohen listed inside and he'll be getting a lot of work at tackle. Come fall, he'll slide back inside with the arrival of Steen but for spring?

He has Young listed inside of the defensive line and he's not that guy. Dale is good on the inside on running downs but he's not a passing downs player. Tim Smith, and hopefully Burroughs, fill that role.

Ricks at the #1 corner when he'll start out as the third corner this spring behind Kool-Aid and Jackson.

Brooks listed at Z is very questionable. He doesn't have the speed.

who pops through unexpectedly this Spring into Fall?
That's a great question but it begs a second. How does it carry over into the fall? Hall "popped through" in the spring but fizzled in the fall.

Picking one guy I think will break through this spring? Jah-Marien Latham. He's had a great off-season as well.

@Davestwin

Starting with one example let's take the running backs. How do you have a spring depth chart with Jase and Roydell listed as #2 and #3 when they won't be practicing in spring ball?

The offensive line is another. He has Cohen listed inside and he'll be getting a lot of work at tackle. Come fall, he'll slide back inside with the arrival of Steen but for spring?

He has Young listed inside of the defensive line and he's not that guy. Dale is good on the inside on running downs but he's not a passing downs player. Tim Smith, and hopefully Burroughs, fill that role.

Ricks at the #1 corner when he'll start out as the third corner this spring behind Kool-Aid and Jackson.

Brooks listed at Z is very questionable. He doesn't have the speed.

I can't imagine Ricks not starting at cornerback. If anything I could see Jackson starting over Kool-Aid. 6'2 and 6'3 corners? Branch and Battle over the top? Shoooooooooooot!

We may get beat deep, butno quaterback we'll play will have that kind of touch to fit it overour length. Not even Ewers.

Friday, Saban scoffed at the idea of evaluating the unit after one practice but did say he is impressed with how his offensive linemen have approached the offseason, stating he thinks they are in better condition and have improved their bodies. The next month should help determine how those bodies best line up in order to provide ample protection for reigning Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young and the rest of what figures to be an elite group of playmakers on Alabamaā€™s offense.

ā€œI mean, Damieon George had a really good offseason,ā€ Saban said. ā€œSo I think weā€™re encouraged by the progress he makes, whether he plays guard or tackle. Weā€™re gonna see if Javion Cohen should be a guard or a tackle. Weā€™ll see if J.C. Latham should be a guard or a tackle, Kendall Randolph to be a tackle. Tommy Brockermeyer has got a chance to compete at the position. He was kind of in and out a little bit, fighting some injury things in the offseason, but we think heā€™ll be able to make progress in the spring.

ā€œThereā€™s a lot of competition at the [tackle] position, and, quite frankly, weā€™re moving a lot of guys around to try to see how we can get the best five guys to play. Iā€™m not disappointed in the progress that any of them have made to this point.ā€
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. ā€” The injury bug bit Alabama hard last season. A few of those setbacks will carry over into the spring as a trio of Crimson Tide players will be on the shelf for spring camp.

Following Alabamaā€™s first spring practice Friday, Nick Saban said that sophomore wide receiver Jaā€™Corey Brooks, senior center Darrian Dalcourt and redshirt freshman Keanu Koht will hall be held out of workouts due to undisclosed injuries.

ā€œAll those guys are out for the spring, whether they had injuries coming out of the season or whatever,ā€ Saban said. ā€œAll the other players are doing some portion of practice and are making some practice toward being able to practice at some point in time in the spring, and those assessments will be made as they make progress throughout the spring.ā€™

Back
Top Bottom