| FTBL Sooo, Grant was in the doghouse

G

That explains why Coffee got the action in the 2nd quarter. :shock:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/b...sports/1189328268108320.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

From the article....Lost in the middle of all that was the fact that Grant had just two carries in the second quarter, while backup Glen Coffee got three times that many. Never mind that Grant gained 53 yards in the first 30 minutes.

Saban didn't care about that. He had points to make: A running back doesn't run a zone play by being nice, and he doesn't bail out on a play call before it develops. He doesn't bounce outside instead of following his blockers. Starting running back or not, budding star or not, Saban had had enough.

"He did that a couple of times," Saban said, "and we had a couple of negative plays."

We could discuss this in detail, but it tells us one thing we already know. Saban sees someone doing something he doesn't like, doesn't approve of or doesn't help the team....that player will be pulled and will have to answer some tough questions. I don't know exactly what Saban is talking about in regards to Grant, but when I watch the replay I'll try to watch for it.

This also tells us that there is a reason behind everything he does. I couldn't understand for the life of me why we stopped seeing Grant when he was dominating in what was at the time a close game.

My two favorite parts from this article:

Saban didn't care about that. He had points to make: A running back doesn't run a zone play by being nice, and he doesn't bail out on a play call before it develops. He doesn't bounce outside instead of following his blockers. Starting running back or not, budding star or not, Saban had had enough.

"He did that a couple of times," Saban said, "and we had a couple of negative plays."

Grant responded on the field with a final, crushing blow to Vandy. It came on a 10-play, 86-yard drive ending in the fourth quarter, and it was nearly all Grant. He began the drive with a 19-yard rush and ended it with a touchdown run up the middle.

"That's the best he ran all day," Saban said.

AND

So what did Saban say at halftime? Grant wouldn't elaborate. "Not into that (microphone)," he said, smiling broadly.

This speaks volumes not only about CNS but about Grant as well. To be able to take criticism/punishment and be better because of it is a mature young man that sees more than just his own feelings/attitude/way. Not sure of what word I am looking for here exactly. ;scr

Grant didn't get his feelings hurt. He took it to heart and used it to improve.

I seem to remember at least one play on our first drive when Grant turned absolute crap (a play designed to go right, there was no room to go forward) into a 17 or 20 yard gain. He bounced back left and took it up the left side. Maybe after that play he wanted to try it again a few times.

HeflinLady said:
This speaks volumes not only about CNS but about Grant as well. To be able to take criticism/punishment and be better because of it is a mature young man that sees more than just his own feelings/attitude/way. Not sure of what word I am looking for here exactly.

Grant didn't get his feelings hurt. He took it to heart and used it to improve.
I think the sentiments you are looking for to describe Grant is one you used, maturity, and some you did not, character and integrity.

And I think you can apply those to Saban as well.

I had a number of coaches who yelled at me, both in high school and college. Some were effective, some were not. The ones who were effective were people you trusted to have your best interest at heart and wanted to help you become a better player. When those coaches spoke with you in unflattering and stern tones, you listened to what they had to say and did not take it personally.

It appears Saban has backed up his demonstrated history of success with trust between himself (and the staff) and the players. At least one player on this team, Grant, recognizes that Saban's wrath is directed at making the player better and not to satisfy the coach's need to vent frustration and belittle a player. To paraphrase from Saban, when we have a critical mass of players that know and understand - and react, to Saban's tirades as did Grant then we will have a team that achieves results greater than the sum of its parts instead of what we have experienced the last decade plus.

Kudos to both HeflinLady and alagator for well stated points and very good one's at that!!!

I really like the attitude of this kid and his improvisation maybe used to work in highschool so he probably didn't hear from the coach too much. This is certainly another level and it sounds like he has Coach Saban to point him in the right direction.

..and people think that Saban is just a defensive mind! Better think again! :D You can't help but be impressed by how much Coach Saban is a student of the game from seemingly every angle.

ijijmijij said:
I seem to remember at least one play on our first drive when Grant turned absolute crap (a play designed to go right, there was no room to go forward) into a 17 or 20 yard gain. He bounced back left and took it up the left side. Maybe after that play he wanted to try it again a few times.

If we are talking about the same play, it was the one where JPW sealed the outside block on the left...

bamafan4ever said:
You can't help but be impressed by how much Coach Saban is a student of the game from seemingly every angle.

This is the exact reason that I'm not worried about the Arky game, or any other game on our schedule. Do I think we will win them all? No. I do know that our coach will have the best possible plan to win the game. A lot of people were worried about the Vandy passing attack. We shut that down.

Now, a lot of people are worried about the Arky run game. I'm not. I'm not saying we will shut them down, but Coach Saban will have the best possible plan to put our players in position to win.

That's all any of us can ask for in my opinion.

TerryP said:
ijijmijij said:

If we are talking about the same play, it was the one where JPW sealed the outside block on the left...

Yeah thats the one. Nice job by JP on that one too!

As far as getting yelled at goes, my coaches always explained their actions on the first day of practice like this: "Don't get your feelings hurt when we yell at you. If we're not yelling at you it means one of two things: you're perfect or we're trying to make you better. No one's perfect. Worry when we stop yelling at you."

bamafan4ever said:
Kudos to both HeflinLady and alagator for well stated points and very good one's at that!!!

I really like the attitude of this kid and his improvisation maybe used to work in highschool so he probably didn't hear from the coach too much. This is certainly another level and it sounds like he has Coach Saban to point him in the right direction.

..and people think that Saban is just a defensive mind! Better think again! :D You can't help but be impressed by how much Coach Saban is a student of the game from seemingly every angle.

What he said ;tr ;sal

bamaupsman said:
As far as getting yelled at goes, my coaches always explained their actions on the first day of practice like this: "Don't get your feelings hurt when we yell at you. If we're not yelling at you it means one of two things: you're perfect or we're trying to make you better. No one's perfect. Worry when we stop yelling at you."

The most overused, yet the one which explains the best.

I try to convey that to my guys (coaching some 11-12 year olds) but it seems like a few of them have been babied by mommy all their life. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom