| FTBL Someone please explain this to me about Auburn fans...

BamaGradinTN

Verified Member
Why this constant obsession with referring to Bama as U.A.T.? Of course I understand the dig...putting Bama on a par with UAB and UAH. But don't they understand the same argument could be made about Auburn...AUA (Auburn) vs. AUM (Montgomery)? I don't think I've ever seen a Bama fan refer to Auburn as AUA. By the way...could someone remind me again which is which? Which one is the Tigers and which one is the Senators?

I have a buddy with a college degree that says The University of Alabama in Birmingham. Mine just says The University of Alabama. Or, in language Barners might be able to understand...What's the name of the second Rocky movie? Rocky II. What's the name of the third Rocky movie? Rocky III. What's the name of the first Rocky movie? Rocky. That's it. Just plain Rocky.

So, my real question is, is this obsession with U.A.T. just an example of typical junior high level humor? Or is it a deeper expression of a serious case of p**** envy? You know that they know that it doesn't matter if they win 10 in a row, they will always be the poor stepchild in the state of Alabama. And, you also know what they were all thinking when they got home from Pat Dye Field and turned on ESPN.

By the way...here's a relevant trivia question for you: What was the official name of the school that finished 1st in the AP poll in 1957?

Answer: Alabama Polytechnic Institute.

Alabama Poly. I like it. Has a nice ring to it.

Good post. Another group that like to throw the UAT title around is UAB. Those poor fools don't get it at all. They will always be a second fiddle to the U of A. I've had to constantly remind some co-workers that we could go winless for the next 10 years while the Barn goes undefeated in that time and they still wouldn't have as many all-time wins as UA.

One thing will shut up the Barn. Beating their behinds this year. Until then they can say whatever they want to. Talk is cheap. The only reason that they will have to hold up 7 fingers this year will be to show the TOTAL number of yards their offense will be able to put up against our D. Spread that around!

uagrad93 said:
Good post. Another group that like to throw the The University of Alabama title around is UAB. .

By the way, I guess you noticed that something about this website requires you to put the periods in the abbreviation U.A.T. If you leave out the periods, the website edits it and puts UAT. I like that!

When Mooo U brings up 6, as they always do, I just tell them, even my little brother has beaten me before, but he's still my little brother. It's amazing how that shuts em up.

About 2 years ago on al.com, I would call them AUO and then give a web site of the chamber of commerce. On the web site it said "Auburn Opelika Chamber of Commerce". They hated it. After two weeks of that I went back to the website and it was changed to "Auburn and Opelika" Was this a coincidence? Maybe, but I like to think I was the reason someone complained and had it changed. Now I think they have separate Chamber of Commerce web sites.

Just out of curiosity, why do some people complain about auburn websites referring to us as U.A.T., bammers and what not as being immature or childish, Then the same ones complaining refer to auburn as the barn, cow college, and so on?

Bama Bo said:
Just out of curiosity, why do some people complain about auburn websites referring to us as U.A.T., cool and good looking people and what not as being immature or childish, Then the same ones complaining refer to auburn as the barn, cow college, and so on?

Not so much a complaint...just pointing out that many Auburn fans are apparently not bright enough to see the obvious contradiction...there is also another university in the state with a three letter abbreviation named Auburn.

Yes, it is a contradiction, and I have thought of that before.

However, don't try to make too much out of it. It's just "rivalry smack talk" is all. Just like you guys calling us cow college and the barn and all the other stuff that comes our way.

You even have a filter on this board that changes the name of our university to "the barn." What fun would it be for you to just call it by it's correct name or for me to say "The University of Alabama"?

Where is the rivalry smack talk in that? :lol:

For instance, if I said "I heard there was some trouble at u.a.t.?" That has built-in smack talk where "I heard there was some trouble at Alabama" is smack-free.

auburn

There is more than just smack talk for calling it the cow college or the Barn. The reason behind founding the school was to educate "Farmers". Face it, the "barn" can't handle being the red headed step child that everyone knows they are.

I have less of an issue of the Auburn folks calling us "U.A.T." than I do the UAB people. When a Blazer fan (?!?!) calls us "U.A.T.", it is pure, unadulterated jealousy.

The two big programs in this state, UA and AU, just poop on the little guys...and I won't name them here, but they know who they are.

:twisted:

By the way, I love the change to THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA too!!! That is awesome!!!

ExiledTidefan said:
I have less of an issue of the Auburn folks calling us "U.A.T." than I do the UAB people. When a Blazer fan (?!?!) calls us "U.A.T.", it is pure, unadulterated jealousy.

The two big programs in this state, UA and AU, just poop on the little guys...and I won't name them here, but they know who they are.

:twisted:

By the way, I love the change to THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA too!!! That is awesome!!!

UAB has fans! :shock:

Deep-seated feelings of inadequacy combined with a desire to be wanted and validated. Much like a little brother who, no matter how hard he tries, is never able to impress the parents as much as their favorite first born son.

Auburn just finished what is likely to be the most successful 20 year period in the history of their program. Even when they went 13-0 one season, the media was not impressed and would not validate their efforts. Total national championships? Zero.

Alabama is 5-0 not even halfway through the season and is receiving far more attention than Auburn has ever received. The media loves a winner. They understand we have a real chance to win championships in the coming years. The media looks at Auburn for what they are - losers. They can kick a guy while he's down or try to pull the plug on the competition while they're on life support. But they can't win championships against the big boys. We have a history of doing just that. And that makes them very, very angry. So, they resort to name-calling. Let 'em have it. It's all they've got.

Back
Top Bottom