| NEWS Social Media and Alabama football. The only school with over 1 million followers.

TerryP

Staff
I found this interesting considering how "far behind" we are in the south.

E1DahKKXoAE9lpE

Not to poo poo it (but I am), they’ve added the followers of all three platforms (total of 3.4 million). Many people follow all three so you can’t count them three times. It’s not election math.

Gonna be another "they are cheating" situation when NIL starts paying out to Alabama players more due to social media presence. It's going to create a ton of opportunities. I mean, think of all the businesses that are going to pay a future first round draft pick to sign autographs for their employees and patrons of their company and how much reach that would receive with 3M followers.

Gonna be another "they are cheating" situation when NIL starts paying out to Alabama players more due to social media presence. It's going to create a ton of opportunities. I mean, think of all the businesses that are going to pay a future first round draft pick to sign autographs for their employees and patrons of their company and how much reach that would receive with 3M followers.
This is just one of the many issues with NIL implementation. Will it be per impression or a set fee. Who measures the results? Since the image and likeness will most likely include a team’s uniforms, colors and logos, how is the revenue split between the player and school? Since the player has no real marketability without the team uniforms, colors and logos, who negotiates the compensation? Will each player be required to have an “agent” to negotiate for them or will the school negotiate or will there be a set fee list or will a neutral third party negotiate (and does that third party get a commission like an agent)? Will teams like USCw, UCLA, and SMU have a distinct advantage because they have a large market for impressions? Will some activities not be allowed (autograph signings at businesses, business endorsements [“Hi, I’m Bryce Young and when I need tires I go to Bob’s Tire Shop.], jersey signings)?

Will the business dealings of a star player cause resentment by other players? Who will handle the inquiries from companies who want to capitalize on a player’s NIL?

Not to poo poo it (but I am), they’ve added the followers of all three platforms (total of 3.4 million). Many people follow all three so you can’t count them three times. It’s not election math.
That's not as simple as you're trying to characterize.

Latest demographic studies on social media outlets:

7 of 10 have used Facebook.
4 of 10 have used Instagram
2.3 of 10 have used Twitter.

There's not as much cross-connection between platforms as a lot tend to believe.

That's not as simple as you're trying to characterize.

Latest demographic studies on social media outlets:

7 of 10 have used Facebook.
4 of 10 have used Instagram
2.3 of 10 have used Twitter.

There's not as much cross-connection between platforms as a lot tend to believe.
In other words, 70% used Facebook, 40% used Instagram and 23% used Twitter. This doesn’t count the heavy social media user who use more than one platform (at least two but possibly three). Based on the numbers, we can determine that a maximum of 23% may use all three (the actual number will be less). Even if we say 5% or 10% use multiple platforms, it’s still a lot of replication, especially in “younger” age groups where social media is a lifestyle.

[“Hi, I’m Bryce Young and when I need tires I go to Bob’s Tire Shop.], jersey signings)?

Ha Ha, just cracks me up thinking of some of the cheesy stuff we'll see. And it'll probably work.

I wonder if guys will no longer be willing to sign in passing or if they'll even do Fan Day anymore since they would be doing it for free?

I'll never ever forget Trent Richardson being an NFL rookie, coming back to Alabama to be a part of the charity flag football game during Fan Day and me asking him to sign a jersey for my unborn son due in a month, and he said "sorry man, my agent would kill me if I did that for you". A simple signature on a jersey. I still like him as a player, but as an individual it pissed me off to no end. Now I was like 27 years old, and he might have done it for a seven year old, but it still meant something to me as I was/am working on some things for my kids. That's exactly what I feel it's going to turn into, and it'll happen quickly. In the end, I had to pay ~$125 to get a quick abbreviated one liner and signature at a signing at Flowers by Rita in Gadsden. Took almost every penny I had at the time. Looking back I never ever will do that again, ever.

. This doesn’t count the heavy social media user who use more than one platform (at least two but possibly three)
The point is that group is a small one. The guy who uses Twitter isn't often found on Facebook and a lot of that is due to the differences in each platform's content. Then we get into high school grad, college grad, rural vs city...

Having clients advertise on all three platforms with a variety of different businesses...I see the differences daily.

Ha Ha, just cracks me up thinking of some of the cheesy stuff we'll see. And it'll probably work.

I wonder if guys will no longer be willing to sign in passing or if they'll even do Fan Day anymore since they would be doing it for free?

I'll never ever forget Trent Richardson being an NFL rookie, coming back to Alabama to be a part of the charity flag football game during Fan Day and me asking him to sign a jersey for my unborn son due in a month, and he said "sorry man, my agent would kill me if I did that for you". A simple signature on a jersey. I still like him as a player, but as an individual it pissed me off to no end. Now I was like 27 years old, and he might have done it for a seven year old, but it still meant something to me as I was/am working on some things for my kids. That's exactly what I feel it's going to turn into, and it'll happen quickly. In the end, I had to pay ~$125 to get a quick abbreviated one liner and signature at a signing at Flowers by Rita in Gadsden. Took almost every penny I had at the time. Looking back I never ever will do that again, ever.
Can't believe $125 for any signature from anyone unless it's on a check for $500

Back
Top Bottom