| FTBL So who's going to challenge us?

bradenob

Ok guys, with the horrible dead period in sports, with only the NBA, and MLB to comfort us, we will all be in withdrawals until August, so.....

In this installment, let's look at our 'suddenly suspect' secondary. The assertion is ridiculous, of course - the secondary is going to be a strength. Let me know what you think.

For starters, I am not worried about Trevon Diggs - he's a great athlete, getting good coaching. He will be fine. Averett will control the other side. Harrison just needs to stay under control and he's going to have a great year. He's a great hitter and fine in coverage. Brown will have great experience and hits like a truck, and is fine in coverage as well. And Minkah is, well, Minkah - he can do it all.

So what about the opponents?

FSU - Their line was horrible, and they lost their starting LT to the NFL. There are questions at RT and RG - so we might get pressure often on Francois. Francois is tough, with arm strength, but the passing game was nothing impressive last year. Travis Rudolph, the best receiver, went pro, and the current projected starters are capable, but nothing flashy or intimidating - USC's receivers were much more of a threat when we played them last year. I think we get to Francois plenty - he's a bit Watson-like, so he can cause trouble with his feet, but he'll face the fastest D he's seen. I believe we prevent the long balls, and keep him controlled.

Fresno St - The left side of the line is made up of two transfers. Jeff Tedford is taking over the program, which was 1-11 last year. Their QB was lost for the year to injury after 3 games. They have a long way to go as a team, and they will have tough sledding all day with 'Bama.

Colorado St - the offense returns 6 starters, including the starting QB Stevens - he passed for 1936 yds and 64% completion rate under Mike Bobo. They must replace 3 OLs. They return two WRs. They will have a proficient offense, but our athletes are far superior, and our offense will play ball control - they won't even have many opportunities.

Vanderbilt - Kyle Shurmur passed for 2409 yards as a sophomore. His top 7 receivers are back. Of course that's all relative. They must replace their left tackle and their center, and the line does not have a lot of experience. The line can't hold our pass rushers, and our secondary is too physical for Vandy to be a threat, even on the road.

Ole Miss - Shea Patterson will look to continue to improve as a true sophomore, but he will come to T'town. Gone are Stringfellow and Adeboyejo, as well as Engram, replaced with AJ Brown and DJ Metcalf, and some new TE. On the line, Greg Little takes over for Rod Taylor, and Javon Patterson returns at left guard, but they replace their center, and their right tackle, with the right guard returning. There is still no established RB, or running game, so it's all on Patterson's shoulders. With a suspect line and fairly inexperienced WRs, our defense will make them one dimensional and try to feast on Patterson's mistakes. Diggs will have no great problem with their best WR, and the safeties will be key in this game. It's also at home.

TAMU - Koda Martin moves over to LT, and the only other starter on the line is the center, McCoy. Jake Hubenak looks to be the starting QB at this point, and Keith Ford and Tra Williams will return at RB. Christian Kirk will try to match up against Diggs all day, but Diggs is up to it. Speedy Noil, Ricky Seals-Jones, and Josh Reynolds are all gone, so there is no other seasoned WR to help out. I think it's a tough road trip, but we should fair well against their fairly inexperienced line, and Hubenak, while familiar with the system, doesn't have the WRs to challenge us seriously.

Arkansas - we host Sr. Austin Allen and crew at home. Hollister, Morgan, and Hatcher are gone at WR, only Cornelius returns with experience. They will start a new TE as well. Williams and Hammonds return at RB. Skipper is gone at left tackle, and while they return the other OL spots, two are open competition, so the line is not solidified. Allen did a good job last year, and took lots of hits. Expect as many hits this year, but with our secondary, and their lack of experienced athletes at WR and their anemic running game, I expect a long day for Allen.

U Cheat- the viles come to T'town, hopefully for another beat down. They will have a new QB, not that the old QB was a problem. Their top 2 RBs are gone, so John Kelly will try to carry the load against the Tide. The entire OL is back, and they did ok last year, so I would expect improvement. Josh Smith is back at slot receiver, and Juan Jennings played a good bit last year. Still, with 'Bama at home, and a new QB, I doubt the viles do much against our D, and I don't see a threatening passing game here.

LSU - we have them at home. They will have a new OC, from Pitt, but the HC is still Orgeron. Eitling had a terrible spring game, so he doesn't seem much of a threat. Chark is the only WR back with any experience, and the WRs coming back are nothing like Dupre or Dural. Malone is back at LT, but most of the rest of the line is shuffling, although almost all played a lot or started last year - cohesiveness could suffer, but they're usually fine by the time they play us. I look for us to shut down Guice - as long as that goes well, I don't see Eitling threatening us.

MSU - we travel to Starkvegas. Their QB is an exciting soph, Nick Fitzgerald. Good athlete. They replace their center, and their RT. Brandon Holloway returns at RB (I know, who?). Fred Ross is gone but Gable and Myles return at WRs. Always seems a bit of a struggle for us, and I know Fitzgerald can give us some trouble, but I really don't see a problem here - the talent gap is too great.

Mercer - ok, seriously guys, I'm not researching them.

awbarn - well, this could be VERY interesting. Gus gets his athletic QB in Stidham. The RBs Pettway and Johnson both return, a nice 1-2 punch. The center position may not be 'solid' and right now both guards have to be replaced. The WRs are young, but talented. The OC, Lindsey, is new. Certainly will be quite a test for the Tide, and we should be up to it. Hopefully Stidham is contained, and hit, if he's healthy by the time we face him! We will certainly have to be careful with their speedy WRs.

SEC Championship - (now I'm getting cocky, right?) - if the Gators get back there, I'm just not worried. They have Calloway, and Goolsby, but Felipe Franks is not intimidating me, or the 'Bama secondary, at this time.

If it's the Bulldogs, I think their QB Eason shows promise, but besides Ridley, I am not sure he has anyone to throw to. Their RBs are GREAT, but the OL is suspect up and down, so I think we'd get to Eason throughout the game.

In conclusion, I think Stidham, Patterson, Francois are all good QBs. I am a bit worried about FSU, but I guess the barn worries me the most. Hubenak and Allen know their systems well, but the supporting cast isn't there. The only challenges I see, over all, are FSU and the barn.

Our secondary will be exciting - ROLL TIDE!!!

Again, let me know what you think.

There were times last year when Francois was getting the living hell knocked out of him by opposing defenses, and like you said, their LT is now in the league, as is Francois's safety net, Dalvin Cook. Payne probably won't have a problem bulldozing through their OL, which will make Francois run right into Jennings, Moses, Evans, Hamilton, Hand, Fitzpatrick, Brown...It's going to be ugly. I mean, for F$U. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it!

A lot of preseason thought went into that, good research. Just a thought on our DBs, I don't want to see any more 400-yard passing games against us this season. Man, for everything we've critiqued this off-season about the Tide, I don't get or understand why our guys struggle so mightily to shut down, at least control, some passing attacks.

Was an excellent job researching and presenting....
Wonder how you would present Bama using same analysis???
Its not a team that can match up"..its that crazy Saturday that always happens that worries me...no team...except maybe Ohio State, Usc , Ok (on occasions) really can match up...position by position...
......enjoyed reading analysis.....thanks

Its not a team that can match up"..its that crazy Saturday that always happens that worries me...no team...except maybe Ohio State, Usc , Ok (on occasions) really can match up...position by position...

Good point!

"Alabama- The Tide loses their LT, but of course they reload by putting Jonah Williams there. The left side seems set but I hear they're having difficulty finding a right guard. Nevertheless, they bring back burners in Ridley and Foster, who reportedly had a good spring. Jerry Jeudy is a name to look out for, and Foristall is back as a receiving TE. With the RB position so solid, there will not be a lot of pressure on Hurts to throw. IF we put 8 in the box, and Hurts continues to develop as a passer, it's going to be a long day for our defense either way. I dont see our DBs keeping up with their WRs on a consistent basis."

THAT is how I'd have to write about US

Roll Tide!!

But you are right. It is the team that sneaks up on you. Bad day by the offense and a really great day with some big plays by the opposing offense could end up with an unexpected loss - think FSU, A&M, the barn- we are not at home for any of those and they all have a good offensive philosophy

Last edited:
A lot of preseason thought went into that, good research. Just a thought on our DBs, I don't want to see any more 400-yard passing games against us this season. Man, for everything we've critiqued this off-season about the Tide, I don't get or understand why our guys struggle so mightily to shut down, at least control, some passing attacks.

A few games come to mind over the last couple of years. Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas last year. It is frustrating but it's usually because we completely shut down the running game and they happen to have a decent day in the passing game. Allen was ridiculous last year-no one should have survived through that whole game getting hit like that. And we did make him pay with a pick six. But I don't think you'll see it happen this year. Next year maybe another story. We will lose Tony Brown, Hootie Jones, Ronnie Harrison, Fitzpatrick, Levi Wallace and Anthony Everett.

I think LSU will be our biggest competition. I said they would last year as well and they were. Ole Miss was let back into the game as we were playing prevent in my eyes. Chark is light years better than Dupree and Dural. He's only scraping the surface with his potential. Guice is a beast and we better watch him. I think he's better than Fournette in the long run and at the end of a game. Etling will progress and will need to be watched. They always offer a salty defense and recruit athletes on a level close to ours.

Florida State will be tough, but I think our offense will be better than their good defense, and I think our defense will match up plenty enough with their offense. Tennessee and Auburn are always interesting in that you just never know what will happen. We have a nice run going against Tennessee, but a few close ones in there. With Auburn, you simply never know. From a roster standpoint, we should kill them, but from a rivalry standpoint, you put everything aside and just play.

I think also....the loss of the alpha LB could be a problem....
And we sa how the loss of Eddie Jackson hurt last year...probably a NC...
And our 2 speed rushers are a hugh loss..
And most of all...leadership...Allen, Foster, Jackson....
Start getting a bunch of Alpha Dogs and sometimes.....well you know...
And I heard an AU fan say....this is shaping up like 2010...but 2010 we lost all our special teamers...10 of 11 D players...and their transfer QB aint no Cam...
So I guess I add that to the Bama analysis....

I think Ark, LSU and the Awbun have the best chance of beating Alabama. Unfortunately, we don't have a great recent record against the noles so... that could be a toughy.

Arkansas, offensively, could grow into something that is tough to keep up with. I think a lot of their QB and they return 2 good RBs. I think Bielema will have the OL blocking better this season. Their troubles are on D.

LSU has, IMO, just as good a RB in Guice as his predecessor. Their QB is average but not a liability. Their defense will be fine. They will be as solid a team as we have seen them since the early part of this decade.

Awbun is similar to LSU in that their QB will be adequate and maybe a bit more skilled as an athlete. They return good RBs and will have a good D. If the barn gets back to the type of play from the marshall era, they will be tough to beat.

I think LSU will be our biggest competition.
Tennessee and Auburn are always interesting in that you just never know what will happen. We have a nice run going against Tennessee, but a few close ones in there. With Auburn, you simply never know. From a roster standpoint, we should kill them, but from a rivalry standpoint, you put everything aside and just play.

Absolutely.....the closest the UT has come is...games at Bama... go figure
And AU and their pure D ole luck.....other the luck....they aint much

Now for LSU....I think LSU will tank....A new O coordinator...with a roster on a different style O....and they should have hired Jimbo...bad for them..good for SECwest....lol

I really should rename this post "Who's going to challenge our secondary this fall?" That was my point

All good points as well - of course LSU will challenge - but I am not as intimidated by them this year - we have them at home, new coaches, losing more guys to the NFL and perhaps not replacing them as well as in the past. Eitling is not BAD, but at this point, neither is he GOOD.

Arky? I agree that they will run the ball better this year - that's Beliema's M.O. - but I am not sure how well they will do that. Allen will be VERY good, but will he have the targets to throw to?

Honestly the barners concern me if they get their sh** together - could be a good OL with a good running game. The receivers are young, but fast - if Stidham works out, they will be good on offense. Not sure how good their defense will be - my guess is, not that good.

I think the FSU defense will be as stout as any we will face all season. They have recruited great size and strength at the interior and length to pass rush off the ends.

However ... I can't stop having dreams about our offensive potential this season. Literally EVERY time we have lost during the Saban era (okay, maybe not every time - S. Car and LSU in 2010 come to mind, and ignoring meaningless bowl losses), we have lost to QBs who have sustained drives with mobility. There is no defense against a well timed QB scramble from a QB whose passing the defense must respect. I think we will have this for the next several seasons. And when I see us increasingly deploying RTs at OG and settling for nothing less than the nation's top tackle prospects at both tackle spots, I see an exceptional OL emerging. Plus improved recruiting at receiver and RB and a stock pile of TEs ... I can't stop salivating.

It's our DL depth that worries me. Yes I was worried last season after the departures from the 2015 championship season. And we still finished on top defensively in 2016. But we lost even more on defense this draft and will be more reliant on unproven and green DL than I can recall in recent memory.

However ... I can't stop having dreams about our offensive potential this season.

It's our DL depth that worries me. Yes I was worried last season after the departures from the 2015 championship season. And we still finished on top defensively in 2016. But we lost even more on defense this draft and will be more reliant on unproven and green DL than I can recall in recent memory.

I agree with all your optimistic points for offensive potential. It's going to take a track meet to outscore us. The talent and depth I believe are there with our front-line defensive players, it's the experience that will take time and reps to get to. Then to me, it's the alpha male that means as much as anything. Who and how many leaders verbally and by example are on this edition of the Tide. We have truly been blessed with alpha males the past 2 seasons who insisted on the Saban way at all time. Newer recruits saying they even feared it. How many of those guys?

I think the FSU defense will be as stout as any we will face all season. They have recruited great size and strength at the interior and length to pass rush off the ends.

However ... I can't stop having dreams about our offensive potential this season. Literally EVERY time we have lost during the Saban era (okay, maybe not every time - S. Car and LSU in 2010 come to mind, and ignoring meaningless bowl losses), we have lost to QBs who have sustained drives with mobility. There is no defense against a well timed QB scramble from a QB whose passing the defense must respect. I think we will have this for the next several seasons. And when I see us increasingly deploying RTs at OG and settling for nothing less than the nation's top tackle prospects at both tackle spots, I see an exceptional OL emerging. Plus improved recruiting at receiver and RB and a stock pile of TEs ... I can't stop salivating.

Concerning our depth at DL, we were hoping that Jamar King, Johnny Dwight, OJ Smith, would contribute more than they have. Even Frazier has been called into question as to how much quality depth he adds. Then we lose out on a prospect, Akial Byers from Arky, because we were thinking his grades would be bad, and there wasn't room. It's an issue.

Yeah, I think that FSU's defense only lost 2 CBs and Demarcus Walker at DE.

They were ranked 22nd in total defense, 21st in rushing defense, 35th in pass efficiency defense. They should be tough.

Back
Top Bottom