| FTBL So What's Up With Barmore?

It's always the sacks and the tackles for loss that grab people's attention on the defensive line. It's seldom mentioned their job is also to protect the linebackers—the key, the bread and butter, to Saban's defenses.

There is one more thing I see very few mention: Barmore of was an offensive guard in high school. It's not only a new position but also a new mentality he's learning. It's easy to get away with pushing a guy 10 yards downfield as a guard. That's not your primary role on defense.

I have adopted this mindset with my 7-8 team. Running a 3-4 and letting my big boys up front just jumble as much as they can while letting my athletes at linebacker find the ball and make the tackle. I have a kid, he's a load at 140pounds at 7, but the kid can move, he can catch, likes to move people, and is a lot of fun to watch. Reminds me of a Daron Payne/Quinnen Williams. He will definitely be keeping my linebackers clean and free to scrape.

I'm aware of that, and it worked very well for a lot of years. Unfortunately...in a lot of big games lately... against the good offenses - we haven't done either.

I hear you, and know you already know this. Still, it's a discussion as football changes. If you can get the best talent in the country - which a few teams can - are you better off playing the Saban/Kirby style of defense, or more of what you see from Venables, Aranda, or Jeff Hafley?

A disclaimer - the nickel package of Saban and Kirby is pretty different philosophically from the base D, and both guys have some really aggressive blitz packages with bump and run and pattern matching on the back end.

I have adopted this mindset with my 7-8 team. Running a 3-4 and letting my big boys up front just jumble as much as they can while letting my athletes at linebacker find the ball and make the tackle. I have a kid, he's a load at 140pounds at 7, but the kid can move, he can catch, likes to move people, and is a lot of fun to watch. Reminds me of a Daron Payne/Quinnen Williams. He will definitely be keeping my linebackers clean and free to scrape.

140 lbs at 7 years old...wow

A few years back, I had a kid at my school that would eat that 7 year old for breakfast!!! When he left my school as an 8 year old, he tipped the scales at 236lbs!!!! 6lbs heavier than I was at the time. 😳

Good gracious. The parents should be ashamed.
They should but I doubt they were. Both parents were large as well. He literally couldn't sprint 10-15 yards before having to stop. When he sat in the floor, he had to lay down, because his hips couldn't handle the weight in the seated position. It was awful.

Back
Top Bottom