| FTBL So What's Up With Barmore?

In regards to doing their job - I hope the job description includes an expectation of getting the QB to the ground and/or TFL's... In 2020, a 10 yard run can be worth a sack. If you can't pressure the QB, a 10 yard pass is about the minimum punishment against good comp.
It's always the sacks and the tackles for loss that grab people's attention on the defensive line. It's seldom mentioned their job is also to protect the linebackers—the key, the bread and butter, to Saban's defenses.

There is one more thing I see very few mention: Barmore of was an offensive guard in high school. It's not only a new position but also a new mentality he's learning. It's easy to get away with pushing a guy 10 yards downfield as a guard. That's not your primary role on defense.

I certainly hope this was something that can be worked out with him, most everyone I spoke with last year, as he was getting in the game more including myself was dang who is that guy that's a wrecking crew up front, he reminds me a lot of M. Dareus, has the potential to be a game changer if he keeps his assignments

It's always the sacks and the tackles for loss that grab people's attention on the defensive line. It's seldom mentioned their job is also to protect the linebackers—the key, the bread and butter, to Saban's defenses.

I'd submit that protecting the LB's can come in the fashion of not allowing a QB to pick them apart in coverage!! Gonna die on the hill that impactful new age defense demands the creation of negative plays & TO's. I also understand the importance of being able to be disciplined and consistent... A fine line to walk when you can't touch the offensive talent positions anymore.

Last year was hopefully an outlier in regards to talent & experience combo @ LB. With Moses, McMillon, Harris and others in the rotation, freeing those guys up should be very important.

Appreciate your insight as always! RTR

If CNS has said it once, he has said it a million times during his tenure here. "Do your job!!! Do your damn job!!!" Play your technique, protect the LBs, control your gap!!!

Have to admit - Just controlling your gap wasn't going to beat the Joe Burrow version of LSU. TO's, Sacks, TFL's are more valuable than ever!
We also gave up 160 yards on the ground that day! Control your gap and take on the lineman instead of rushing up the field balls to the wall after Burrow and we limit their ground game. They averaged a little more than 4 yards per rush attempt.

I'm of the opinion most fans don't need to know all the dirty laundry of the program.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

And its a good thing they don't. Many would wig out. Not always just players too, sometimes the dirty laundry drama is within staff. Always has been to a degree, and always will be. And the ones who would make the biggest fuss about it are the ones who don't have their own lives (or families) in order.

I'd submit that protecting the LB's can come in the fashion of not allowing a QB to pick them apart in coverage!
And when your defensive line is not maintaining their responsibility(s) you've automatically created more responsibility on the linebackers. (Johnny Manzeil.) You have players protecting others in the wrong order. We've seen that in the past with Kareem protecting youth. Last season, youth covering for youth in the wrong order.

Coach Kool with Sam ?...let him do his thing and he turned in great numbers. Their defense was not any good.

Assignment football.

I am hopeful that LSU will never sign an outstanding QB from outside the state of Loseranna. With the talent they get from inside that state to play the other positions we don't need them to have a truly good QB. Those QB's from inside the state will be most likely be playing with an I3 processor and that will be Aight.

Last edited:

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

And its a good thing they don't. Many would wig out. Not always just players too, sometimes the dirty laundry drama is within staff. Always has been to a degree, and always will be. And the ones who would make the biggest fuss about it are the ones who don't have their own lives (or families) in order.

Those were the days of DuBose and his crew!!!! HOLY COW was that dysfunctional or what?

Saban's defense isn't based in TFLs. It's a 2 gap assignment based, protect the back end type of system.

Others believe in disruption. They'll risk more and give up chunk plays in an effort to create negative plays. They believe that's the way to combat modern offenses.

Saban's defense isn't based in TFLs. It's a 2 gap assignment based, protect the back end type of system.

Others believe in disruption. They'll risk more and give up chunk plays in an effort to create negative plays. They believe that's the way to combat modern offenses.

I'm aware of that, and it worked very well for a lot of years. Unfortunately...in a lot of big games lately... against the good offenses - we haven't done either.

Back
Top Bottom