| FTBL Season Is Getting Close (The night, the blue lights, came out in Georgia.)

I've talked with people around that program who believe Kirby isn't going to be around much longer. I can see why they think this.

This is getting close to Urban Meyer territory. He can recruit the talent. He can not manage the talent.
Once you begin ignoring the character aspect so you resort to grabbing raw talent, it gets ugly. Meyer is a good example.

Not defending Kirby or the staffers but how do you control stupid? It begins by not recruiting stupid. Character matters or should matter. Talent is great but mixed with stupid can be poison.
You just described how to manage it. I have a significant number of people that report through my management chain and we scrutinize the heck out of potential employees before we ever offer them. I ask a lot of character type questions. Getting a bad hire is the gift that keeps on giving so be diligent on the front end.

Look at Clemson Tigers. Go ahead Dabo

TN n AU way down there. But UGA. Yicks
I saw a thread on the Rant talking about grad rates. UGA folks were saying it was because most of the players now leave after 3 years.

I'm sure that attributes to that, but it didn't seem to affect Saban. I know they have a 3 year program to help guys get their degrees before heading off to the NFL. I'm surprised more programs haven't emulated that as well. Such a great benefit when talking to Mom/Dad about junior coming to play for the Tide.

I saw a thread on the Rant talking about grad rates. UGA folks were saying it was because most of the players now leave after 3 years.

I'm sure that attributes to that, but it didn't seem to affect Saban. I know they have a 3 year program to help guys get their degrees before heading off to the NFL. I'm surprised more programs haven't emulated that as well. Such a great benefit when talking to Mom/Dad about junior coming to play for the Tide.
Again, one of the quality/character things Kirby didn’t take with him to UGA.

These respective track records make me wonder if there were ever conversations between Kirby and Saban over "taking a chance on a kid" when he was at Bama, and if some of our misses in terms of player conduct (during or after their time at Bama) were the result of Kirby petitioning Saban to take them.

I believe. Nick believed he could control conduct with his..."do what i say...and the future is yours". We had several thugs. Sometimes...you cant get the "thug" out of a guy....upbringing...lack of personal values...friend choices...

Nick had some successes...but...wasnt 100%...especially in high value kids...

Be interesting to see how KD handles

These respective track records make me wonder if there were ever conversations between Kirby and Saban over "taking a chance on a kid" when he was at Bama, and if some of our misses in terms of player conduct (during or after their time at Bama) were the result of Kirby petitioning Saban to take them.
That's a really good question. It's crossed my mind.

Back
Top Bottom