| CURRENT EVENTS San Fran recalls DA. Check out this paragraph from The Atlantic on the conditions of San Fran.

TerryP

Staff
I’d gotten used to the crime, rarely violent but often brazen; to leaving the car empty and the doors unlocked so thieves would at least quit breaking my windows. A lot of people leave notes on the glass stating some variation of Nothing’s in the car. Don't smash the windows. One time someone smashed our windows just to steal a scarf. Once, when I was walking and a guy tore my jacket off my back and sprinted away with it, I didn’t even shout for help. I was embarrassed—what was I, a tourist? Living in a failing city does weird things to you. The normal thing to do then was to yell, to try to get help—even, dare I say it, from a police officer—but this felt somehow lame and maybe racist.

Am I to assume it's a hate crime if I were to not allow someone to take a jacket?

I know I'm not just allowing someone to take the jacket off my back. I'm pretty sure once that was settled I'd take their shoes for good measure. But I guess I'd be the thief then, eh?

Am I to assume it's a hate crime if I were to not allow someone to take a jacket?

I know I'm not just allowing someone to take the jacket off my back. I'm pretty sure once that was settled I'd take their shoes for good measure. But I guess I'd be the thief then, eh?

That was a sobering read. A city that is beyond FUBAR!

Good to see that at least some part of LA is fed up with this BS as well.

I really wonder why those of a certain political persuasion can't understand the link between years of "Every Cop's A Bastard" and rising crime rates. At this point it is willful ignorance at best.
Probably the same reason why those of a certain political persuasion think Jan 6th was a simple protest.

As somebody that’s both of the political persuasion you speak of and a cop it’s because judges hand down slaps on the wrist for serious crimes, in the state I live in (considered the most conservative) you get more time for drugs than you do for crimes against children

Probably the same reason why those of a certain political persuasion think Jan 6th was a simple protest.
Which political persuasion? Is that big ass brush out again? 🙃

What was it? A complicated protest?
As somebody that’s both of the political persuasion you speak of and a cop it’s because judges hand down slaps on the wrist for serious crimes, in the state I live in (considered the most conservative) you get more time for drugs than you do for crimes against children
It's my belief you and I would stand side by side on drug laws. What you're pointing to here is unconscionable.

It's far easier to get these things changed on your local level than on a nationwide level. Thankfully, in your position, you can work to rectify and elect people to change these rulings. Look no further than the state by state changing drug laws to know locally is where you start.

Nixon and Biden are the most responsible for the situation our criminal justice system is in now. Nixon declared War on Drugs. I could blame Reagan and Clinton for a lot of stuff they signed related to crime, but imagine this. One person, Joe Biden, was a co-sponsor of the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984 and he considers his 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act to be his premier legislative accomplishment. The former introduced civil asset forfeiture (an egregious violation of property rights) and minimum sentencing. The latter expanded the US to a "tough on crime" virtual police state and set mass encarceration to be the norm rather than the exception.

That War is what is most responsible for the number of people who were convicted of the victimless crimes of possession and use, as well as the rampant crime associated with gang activity related to providing the drugs for personal use. They are also responsible for the system ignoring other crimes while focusing on what police departments can get from prosecuting drug related crimes. And we continue to escalate that in many places. We learned nothing from Al Capone and the other crime bosses of Prohibition.

Back
Top Bottom