| FTBL Saban reacts "angrily" to Tubbs firing....

RollTideRandy said:
So I guess we're 5-7 away from the same thing.

That statement bothers me a bit. Is he saying our Admin is as stupid as the Barn's? ;scr

THAT statement bothered me a bit too but when you consider that coaching is indeed very competitive, it's also a very select fraternity. The trend is disturbing and Coach Saban is not the type to take anything for granted.

That's my stab at it.

RollTideRandy said:

That statement bothers me a bit. Is he saying our Admin is as stupid as the Barn's? ;scr

That was my first reaction as well. But I think it's more his way of showing his disgust with the world that is high-stakes coaching. I don't think it was directed at any specific school.

Big rewards come with big risk, I guess. Although, if my company wanted to give me $6 million to go away, I would happily (and immediately) oblige them.

reger60 said:
RollTideRandy said:

That was my first reaction as well. But I think it's more his way of showing his disgust with the world that is high-stakes coaching. I don't think it was directed at any specific school.

Big rewards come with big risk, I guess. Although, if my company wanted to give me $6 million to go away, I would happily (and immediately) oblige them.

Did we not do the same thing with Shula?

I'm glad Tuberville is gone, i don't like the guy in general...BUT I disagree with firing coaches after one bad season and i think Saban is right, unfortunately. We're all on a high right now, but years down the road what is going to happen if he slips up and has one bad season? They'll fire him...and why? Because the powers that be are all interested in the present time...if you're losing at the present time, they don't care if you could win 'em 7 championships in the future, they want your rear end out of there....and it's all down to impatience. Patience is not a word that college presidents and athletic directors know the meaning of. They don't care, they just want the wins NOW. And it's a rather unfortunate thing, because they will NEVER..i repeat NEVER find a coach who will go his entire career without even one bad season. No coach has ever won 9 or 10 games every single season of his career and it will never happen in the future either.

Optimus said:
reger60 said:
RollTideRandy said:

Shula lost 4 in a row to the archrival. Shula never won an SEC Championship - or a People's Championship for that matter. :wink:

Optimus said:
reger60 said:
RollTideRandy said:

Seriously?

reger60 said:
Optimus said:
reger60 said:
RollTideRandy said:

Shula lost 4 in a row to the archrival. Shula never won an SEC Championship - or a People's Championship for that matter. :wink:

True, but we still paid him a few buck to go, but you're right about the rest Reg.

This notion of one bad season needs to be dismissed.

You guys do realize he's barely over .500 in SEC play the last three seasons, right?

But, as far as Saban's reactions, if you think for a second that he cared about Tubs you need to dismiss that idea as well.

As to the comments, I'll wait until listening to the press conference before making my judgement. Remember the source here guys...

TerryP said:
But, as far as Saban's reactions, if you think for a second that he cared about Tubs you need to dismiss that idea as well.

I sounded like he wanted to just make a statement, a bold one, so that it would kinda cut the reports off at the pass. I don't think he wants to answer a ton of questions, and be labeled a coach killer by the press... I doubt that is an image he wants to carry.

Now, does he really care? No. I don't think so. We all remember his comments during his opening press conference about dominating auburn (and other opponents). He knows that domination leads to firings in this rivalry.

First, firing Tubby was moronic. He's arguably the best coach they've ever had. Good luck replacing him.
And I think that Saban's remarks were probably either taken out of context or directed at the fat cats who make such decisions. None of these fat cats are part of the school administration.

Porter said:
TerryP said:

I sounded like he wanted to just make a statement, a bold one, so that it would kinda cut the reports off at the pass. I don't think he wants to answer a ton of questions, and be labeled a coach killer by the press... I doubt that is an image he wants to carry.

Now, does he really care? No. I don't think so. We all remember his comments during his opening press conference about dominating auburn (and other opponents). He knows that domination leads to firings in this rivalry.

After listening to it, I agree.

Given the propensity of reporters to ask him questions that have no bearing on our program, given last weekends game, given the nature of the rivalry...

A lot of reasons I agree with that Porter.

bamaupsman said:
First, firing Tubby was moronic. He's arguably the best coach they've ever had. Good luck replacing him.
And I think that Saban's remarks were probably either taken out of context or directed at the fat cats who make such decisions. None of these fat cats are part of the school administration.

They are members of the Board of Trustees, which oversee the University. How that isn't considered a portion of the Administrative body of a school is a statement I don't understand.

bamaupsman said:

I don't think them firing him was moronic at all if there is truth in what I have heard about the situation. Basically he was asked about the changes he planned to make and those did not include getting rid of his loyal assistants and that bothered the administration. Now go back to the day Tony Franklin came out to tell his story and said basically he knew his system wasn't going to work when Tubberville would not let him bring in assistants that understood the spread. Those statements are out there for all the potential candidates for OC. If Tommy wasn't going to give complete control to the next OC and allow them to bring whoever they needed with them, then the next OC was going to be just the next failure IMO. I hate that he is going cause I wanted to SPANK HIS BUTT for several years.

Back
Top Bottom