| FTBL Saban reacts "angrily" to Tubbs firing....

Optimus said:
Swamptick said:
Optimus said:
Did we not do the same thing with Shula?

No.

So we didn't have to pay him any money was my point. :roll:

CTT has a 6 mill buyout, what was Shulas, but it was worth it. :D

I'm sure he gets a check from UA every month.

Big difference in the buyouts.

As soon as Shula was hired, the amount we pay him each month dropped quite a bit.

Tubs gets a large payday this month and another 365 days from today UNLESS it was renegotiated this week.

Tubs is walking out PAID. Shula walked out needing to find a job sooner or later to keep Shari happy. :D J/K

I think that CNS fully understands how the media influences the expectations for winning. The pressure is enormous and the norm for society in general....win now or your out!

I would hate to say it but CNS may be the gold standard for new coach hirings. Second year 12 and 0 puts alot thoughts on mediocre seasons. Every booster and president is saying...I want that and I want it now.

Like all good Bama fans, I don't like Tubby but I agree that his firing was premature.

TerryP said:
I'm sure it ticked him off to even have to deal with such a question yesterday. But, then again, having to deal with any question other than our team and the games ticks him off as it is.

Well, unless it is a question about Terry...that'll always get a light response.

This may be the real truth of the matter.

Dang Terry, now he's answering questions about you? :D

FWIW, I didn't like his statement. He's still our coach. He has my support 100%, but I don't like what was a perceived slam in my opinion. He wasn't slamming Alabama per say, but he did lump us (our admin, boosters, fans) in with everyone else. Almost like it's a them (admin, boosters, fans) vs. us (coaching fraternity) mentality. This is certainly no time to be demeaning your base. Based on that thought and the timing I don't know that he meant much by it.

BamaDelta said:
TerryP said:
I'm sure it ticked him off to even have to deal with such a question yesterday. But, then again, having to deal with any question other than our team and the games ticks him off as it is.

Well, unless it is a question about Terry...that'll always get a light response.

This may be the real truth of the matter.

Dang Terry, now he's answering questions about you? :D

FWIW, I didn't like his statement. He's still our coach. He has my support 100%, but I don't like what was a perceived slam in my opinion. He wasn't slamming Alabama per say, but he did lump us (our admin, boosters, fans) in with everyone else. Almost like it's a them (admin, boosters, fans) vs. us (coaching fraternity) mentality. This is certainly no time to be demeaning your base. Based on that thought and the timing I don't know that he meant much by it.

I agree, and I'm now against the giving Saban a $1million bonus for every coach he gets fired.

Bama pays Saban to win. If he wins he won't have to worry about a thing. Coaches with these insanely high salaries need to realize that their job is to win football games, lots of them.
If an administration thinks that's not going to happen, they pull the trigger. That's their call.

Boo-hoo. Nick ol' boy, you go 5-7 you might be next. Don't you forget it. How many pacifiers can you buy for 4 million dollars? Give me a break.

I'm really amazed that Saban doesn't realize that there are a LOT more things going on than just a 5-7 season.

My dad made an interesting point last night. If Saban had someone like Lowder pulling the strings and controlling the program,, Saban wouldn't last long either.

We have a good history in that regard. Red Drew had a winning record at Bama, but had the misfortune to follow Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas. He went 4-6 in 1954 and was replaced by Ears Whitworth, whose three year record was 4-24-2. Of course the Bear was next, so it worked out. Perkins resigned to go to the NFL. Curry resigned (couldn't take the heat) to go to Kentucky. Stallings retired prematurely (thank you Bob Bockrath, Dubose was dumped because of his "body of work" and the emerging recruiting mess. Franchione fled, and Shula tried to pick up the pieces. Being as kind as possible to Shula, he inherited a mess, and ended up with a very nice season in 2005 because of a great defensive unit. The 2006 team disappointed, and problems started to emerge. Mal talked with Shula about his plans for the direction of the team and was told that no significant changes would be made, so he pulled the trigger. Of all the changes over more than fifty years, you could make a case for only Red Drew's dismissal being unjustified based on his "body of work" as a coach. As someone observed earlier in this thread, even Coach Bryant had a down time, barely breaking even in 1960 and 1970. There were a few cries of "Bear's gotten too old", but cooler heads prevailed.

I don't think Coach Saban was speaking to our fan base directly. He was reacting to what he believed were unjustified actions involving coaching colleagues that he respected.

psychojoe said:
I don't think Coach Saban was speaking to our fan base directly. He was reacting to what he believed were unjustified actions involving coaching colleagues that he respected.

I agree for the most part. Again as I stated earlier I really think he feels that it's an us (coaching fraternity) vs. them (admin, boosters, fans) philosophy. We are not part of the "us" and never will be.

I really don't want to open a can of worms. It's not the time or place, but maybe on this one he should have kept the 5-7 comment to himself. I think he spends zero time actually thinking about this. Too much is probably being made of all this as usual.

BamaDelta said:
psychojoe said:

I agree for the most part. Again as I stated earlier I really think he feels that it's an us (coaching fraternity) vs. them (admin, boosters, fans) philosophy. We are not part of the "us" and never will be.

I really don't want to open a can of worms. It's not the time or place, but maybe on this one he should have kept the 5-7 comment to himself. I think he spends zero time actually thinking about this. Too much is probably being made of all this as usual.

I agree....probably should have kept that "thinking out loud moment" under wraps. Could easily be interpreted to be dirested towards Mal Moore etc. Id hate for Saban to think our folks were comparable to the Barns.

BamaDelta said:
psychojoe said:

We can only hope. We need everyone on the same page to do what Vegas says can't be done...beat superman Saturday.

Tuberville = Shula???

For you Auburn fans out there who want to point fingers at Bama and say we did the same thing to Shula, I merely want to refer you to the words of your most famous alumnus, Sir Charles Barkeley, being interviewed on JOX while in his limo on the way to Tuscaloosa Saturday:

"The three saddest days of my life: JFK's assassination, the day Elvis died, and the day Alabama fired Mike Shula. Shula was the best coach Auburn ever had."

By the way, Shula is probably available, if you're interested.

Saban knows he wouldnt be fired over one 5-7 season. Just an attempt at ^^sar referring to the do or die atmosphere of SEC coaching.

I got it! Get over it! ;tr

Refering back a few posts about "didn't we do the same thing with Shula?"
NO. Not at all. Shula had one winning season in four years. he won one bowl game in four years. The offense was stagnant for three years. He would make no changes. His players had no discipline to finish. Shula was not a proven coach. He was a fill in for a coach that was proven in Mike Price. That's all there is to it really...
Shula would have won 4-6 games this year with the same players Saban has won 12 with. go figure.

Nate said:
My dad made an interesting point last night. If Saban had someone like Lowder pulling the strings and controlling the program,, Saban wouldn't last long either.

I don't think Saban would have ever come to Alabama if there were someone like Lowder in the picture at Bama.

I am going to take a second to take off the Crimson glasses and be the devils' advocate.

I think if Saban continues his early success at Bama, our fans and faculty will get very spoiled. Don't you think the folks at USC and Oklahoma are getting comfortable with winning? I actually heard a USC pundit complain after the Oregon State loss that they had too many losses to teams like that during Carroll's tenure. Our fans and alumni will get so upset after a losing season that there WILL BE some people complaining out loud.

And I tended to disagree with the way Mike Shula was treated as well. I thought the first season, 2003, he was to receive a "pass" for the difficulty we had been through previously. If that is the case, then we only really gave the three years, didn't we? Is three years enough time to turn around a program suffering through the worst NCAA sanctions that had been handed to a program in 15 years? No, it's not.

Shula didn't get a fair shake. No one can convince me otherwise. But no one needs to get wise on here and ask me if I'd rather have Shula than Saban. The answer is an emphatic NO. I would much rather have a disciplinarian, tireless recruiter, and detail oriented football coach like Saban because he will always be successful with that formula, especially at a place like Bama.

In a nutshell, Tubs was fired at Auburn because BAMA IS BACK AND WINNING AGAIN. He got slammed 36-0, and that was all it took. If Shula had beaten Auburn back in 2006, especially if it had been convincingly, he would have returned in 2007. I will always believe that. I think Tubs has been given the same bad deal that Shula got. Yep, 10 years is a lot longer, and the program was not getting better. But this was a down year, no doubt. lack of talent on the field was the biggest reason. The handling of Tony Franklin could have been better.

Ah, screw Auburn anyway. I hope they hire Croom.

Some folks worry too much about things they hear on TV or read on the internet. Saban can say anything he wants to and it doesn't mean squat when it comes to beatin' the gators. The only thing he will say that matters is when he tells Cody what a good job he did sacking that cry baby from Florida. :D

ExiledTidefan said:
I am going to take a second to take off the Crimson glasses and be the devils' advocate.

I think if Saban continues his early success at Bama, our fans and faculty will get very spoiled. Don't you think the folks at USC and Oklahoma are getting comfortable with winning? I actually heard a USC pundit complain after the Oregon State loss that they had too many losses to teams like that during Carroll's tenure. Our fans and alumni will get so upset after a losing season that there WILL BE some people complaining out loud.

And I tended to disagree with the way Mike Shula was treated as well. I thought the first season, 2003, he was to receive a "pass" for the difficulty we had been through previously. If that is the case, then we only really gave the three years, didn't we? Is three years enough time to turn around a program suffering through the worst NCAA sanctions that had been handed to a program in 15 years? No, it's not.

Shula didn't get a fair shake. No one can convince me otherwise. But no one needs to get wise on here and ask me if I'd rather have Shula than Saban. The answer is an emphatic NO. I would much rather have a disciplinarian, tireless recruiter, and detail oriented football coach like Saban because he will always be successful with that formula, especially at a place like Bama.

In a nutshell, Tubs was fired at Auburn because BAMA IS BACK AND WINNING AGAIN. He got slammed 36-0, and that was all it took. If Shula had beaten Auburn back in 2006, especially if it had been convincingly, he would have returned in 2007. I will always believe that. I think Tubs has been given the same bad deal that Shula got. Yep, 10 years is a lot longer, and the program was not getting better. But this was a down year, no doubt. lack of talent on the field was the biggest reason. The handling of Tony Franklin could have been better.

Ah, screw Auburn anyway. I hope they hire Croom.

Exiled,

You have a right to your opinion about Shula and I am not going to waste time in attempting to convince you otherwise since you can't be "convinced"...but...when you consider all of the issues that Coach Saban inherited from Shula (players attitudes, lack of discipline, lack of depth at key positions after 4 years of being off probation, no conditioning program to speak of, etc. etc.) I don't see how in the world he wasn't given a fair shake? He poorly managed the program in certain areas.

I don't think ill of Shula. I think he really tried to make a go of it. I simply think he was over his head and it takes a strong character to be the CEO of a successful organization and that's what the head coach of a major college football program is. Shula would be a great QB coach, a manager if you will but CEO material he is not.

Back
Top Bottom