| NEWS Saban gives injury update on Tua Tagovailoa after Tennessee game - 247Sports (tightrope ankle procedure this morning,)

With the same surgery as last year I don't see him being near 100% for LSU. Hope I'm wrong.
I felt the same way initially. Then I read where Tua had the surgery after the SEC championship game & was ready for Oklahoma approximately 3 weeks later - makes me feel better about it!
Let's not forget it was Jalen that took almost a month to get back last season. Tua was working out quickly after his procedure. It was no secret that the staff felt like Jalen could have pushed harder than he did last season. (I want to say it was 25 days before JH was back on the field leading the offense in drill work.)

Cam: two weeks and he was back for LSU (though somewhat gimpy.)
Tua: three weeks and he's back for OU.
Jalen: four weeks and he's back after getting hurt against UT.

Let's not forget it was Jalen that took almost a month to get back last season. Tua was working out quickly after his procedure. It was no secret that the staff felt like Jalen could have pushed harder than he did last season. (I want to say it was 25 days before JH was back on the field leading the offense in drill work.)

Cam: two weeks and he was back for LSU (though somewhat gimpy.)
Tua: three weeks and he's back for OU.
Jalen: four weeks and he's back after getting hurt against UT.

@TerryP ...... I was trying to remember when he had that procedure and when he actually played. Not sure 2 weeks is enough time but we can hope.

I guess actually he would have three weeks.
I think it's important to also remember he was dealing with his knee and ankle last season and still made it back in three weeks for OU. Recovery from one definitely affects the other, ya know?

We'll see reports of him being in the anti-gravity treadmill in a week which will mean he's right on track.

Just as a side note to ponder:

This afternoon I've seen a few point to Lia as the guy as they dismiss Mac. It seems to me their perception is "it takes a Tua type to win" in the conference which leads them to Lia.

What I find interesting ... the very guy they're worried about, Burrow, is the same type of QB as Mac.

2+2=3. 🤷‍♂️

Just as a side note to ponder:

This afternoon I've seen a few point to Lia as the guy as they dismiss Mac. It seems to me their perception is "it takes a Tua type to win" in the conference which leads them to Lia.

What I find interesting ... the very guy they're worried about, Burrow, is the same type of QB as Mac.

2+2=3. 🤷‍♂️

lol No... just stop Terry. If Burrows couldn't step into a throw to save his life, had no arm strength, no accuracy, absolutely zero pocket awareness... yeah, then you could say he's "the same type of QB as Mac."

Regardless it doesn't matter. Tua isn't playing against LSU - I won't believe otherwise until I see him step out onto the field - and we are going to get ripped to shreds as the offense goes three-and-out all night long. And that doesn't matter whether it's Mac or Baby Tua out there.

Ok. I guess I'm gonna be the one. What exactly is a tightrope procedure?
“What we do is we drill a hole from the fibula into the tibia and cast these tightropes through the bone and sync it down and tighten it,” Norman Waldrop, part of the surgical team that performed Tagovailoa’s surgery in 2018, told ESPN last year. “What these tightropes do are stabilize the ankle. It holds that little bone in its home. It holds it still and stable enough that the bones don’t want to spread apart.”

From what I've read it's something that was first done on horses with injuries.

lol No... just stop Terry. If Burrows couldn't step into a throw to save his life, had no arm strength, no accuracy, absolutely zero pocket awareness... yeah, then you could say he's "the same type of QB as Mac."

Regardless it doesn't matter. Tua isn't playing against LSU - I won't believe otherwise until I see him step out onto the field - and we are going to get ripped to shreds as the offense goes three-and-out all night long. And that doesn't matter whether it's Mac or Baby Tua out there.
Oh good lord, Josh. You know exactly what I meant there. He is the same type of quarterback: pro-style that's mobile but isn't a dual threat.

In a sense you're right on a few things. Mac doesn't have the arm strength Tua does. BUT, no one on campus does either. Hell, look around the SEC and you won't find the same with Tua.

As to your guesses on who sees the field, who doesn't, and how they'll do? I'll let your track record speak for itself. :D

Going 3-out all night? Gawd, that's so off.

We will be able to move the ball against LSU regardless of who the QB is. Give Mac a week to get his feet under him and get a little more comfortable. He is not nor will ever be Tua but no one is. We just need him to get the ball in the hands of our play makers in space. Heck hand off to 22, 24 and 17 and occasionally flip a WR screen to 11 and 4.

Hope all of this is a moot point and Tua comes back in time. Momma Tua needs to lay her hands on Tua's injury to get some divine healing:).

“What we do is we drill a hole from the fibula into the tibia and cast these tightropes through the bone and sync it down and tighten it,” Norman Waldrop, part of the surgical team that performed Tagovailoa’s surgery in 2018, told ESPN last year. “What these tightropes do are stabilize the ankle. It holds that little bone in its home. It holds it still and stable enough that the bones don’t want to spread apart.”

From what I've read it's something that was first done on horses with injuries.

There was another good video of the guy from Bham who does the procedures I saw last year when he had the other leg done. Originally, they would simply put a screw through, but that limited mobility, caused pain under stress and could be very bad if the screw broke or came loose from the bone. I think I remember him saying that the athlete's ability to perform came back quicker than the surgical site would fully heal, had to be careful with the site.

RTR,

Tim

Oh good lord, Josh. You know exactly what I meant there. He is the same type of quarterback: pro-style that's mobile but isn't a dual threat.

In a sense you're right on a few things. Mac doesn't have the arm strength Tua does. BUT, no one on campus does either. Hell, look around the SEC and you won't find the same with Tua.

As to your guesses on who sees the field, who doesn't, and how they'll do? I'll let your track record speak for itself. :D

Going 3-out all night? Gawd, that's so off.

I get that "pro-style QB" deal (though I wouldn't say either is really mobile with Burrow being the MORE mobile of the two) but if we're making comparisons, you have to take into account one of these is most certainly not like the other.

And arm strength is the least of my worries. The fact that he looked like a deer caught in the headlights pretty much all night and that when every single person in the stadium new blitzes where coming and where from, he acted as if he had no clue. That is an issue that LSU is going to absolutely obliterate.

Just like any time I'm wrong I will HAPPILY be wrong if it means either a) Mac doesn't completely suck and/or b) Tua is magically able to play against LSU and play effectively. Let's also point out that it was said "oh yeah, 2-3 max and he'll back" when Jalen had this same procedure and two weeks in he could barely walk.

You're right about going three-and-out all night, though. I'm sure there will be a few first down turnovers mixed in there...

Back
Top Bottom