| FTBL Saban critical of fan criticism

It is just a damn game, at the end of the day if a football game has bearing on a person’s life I can’t compute that.

Fans demanding excellence from a team doesn’t compute with me either, but all kinds make the world go round.

Do I want Bama to win? Of course, but it has no bearing on my day if they do or not, I'm disappointed when we lose and ecstatic when we win, but neither outcome has an overall bearing on my day to day and I really wouldn’t go as far as some fans
A loss doesn’t affect my days or nights either so I’m not sure of your point. But it’s all good. My first point is Bama’s fan’s demand for excellence, like fans of other perineal winners, play an important part in their team’s success. My second point is if the majority of Bama fans felt ie “it’s only a game” as you do Bama wouldn’t be the Bama we’ve come to know. Perhaps the millennials will take that attitude and if so, Bama those fans will probably get to relive periods like the 50’s, 80’s and early 2000’s. Now to be clear, the passionate Bama fans I’m speaking of don’t poison trees or throw bricks through a coach’s window or allow their children to insults coaches kids or anything like those reprehensible acts. We care deeply about our university and about the football program we support with our time and treasure. And more than anything we want our kids and grandkids to be able to experience some of what their parents, grandparents, great grandparents, et al have been blessed to enjoy. The Tide have won 13 NC’s in my lifetime! Those championships didn’t occur by accident and would not have happened without a dedicated and passionate fan base that demands excellence year in and year out. So, of course it’s a game … but it’s just more important of a game to me than you and that’s OK! I have friends just like you and they probably roll their eyes at me all the time!

By the way, Bama has only one player make a finalist list for the national awards. That’s been a rare occurrence during this wonderful run. So, it’s not just us “critical Bama fans” who have noticed something being amiss with this team.

Some years we do less with more talent, hope Saban figures it out soon...
I’ve been commenting on here about turnovers for the last 5-6 weeks. We had 8 going in to the Iron Bowl. I can’t remember a season where we had so few. We’ve lost the turnover battle a lot this year. Young had 6 INTs alone, compared with 30 TDs. Last year he had 7 INTs against 47 TDs. We just didn’t cause turnovers this year.

99% are supportive. Should have heard that crowd last night.

I am shocked nick listens to outsnoise
He doesn’t listen, he listens to players. The players listen to the fans. Defending his players, that goes a long way in the locker room.
On an aside:
My son and a few of his teammates where on a recruiting trip (3 years ago), at USA (south Alabama). His host really gave him some strong negative feed back on the fans. Again this was only a handful, but a lot of players always listen to the negative fans.

Fan is short for.... Fanatic.

Everyone wants the outlandish salaries, sold out crowds, huge TV ratings, cash in on the over priced merch, paid speeches/appearances, NIL $, and on and on.... That comes with a burden.

I've always said it and always will - The FANATICS are what make it possible. You have to be crazy to pay the $$ most Tide fans pay to support the team in the multiple ways that makes the ^^ perks possible. I'm not saying this is a pass for any fan to act ridiculous or out of line, but it's important to keep in context how much these fans sacrifice to make your value what it is in this world. I'll put it this way - Coaches ain't out here curing cancer.... Without a hungry/wild/crazy/unrealistic fan following, the prestige disappears real quickly!

It's a musso thread so I knew where he was going to go with this before ever reading it but honestly, the "criticism" of fans seems to be weak as tea. He's entitled to express his opinion and whatever. Could not care less honestly because all I am interested in is the results on the field. Sticks and stones and these were mighty small sticks and pebbles but to our woke, sensitive fellas, I can see where they needed to seek their safe space after Saban says just about anything.

A couple of personal observations that are not necessarily novel but I happen to agree with. This team simply did not play to an Alabama standard that we have become accustomed to for the past decade plus this season and it was glaringly obvious. I look at the way UGA plays defense and its not like they have better talent and maybe a weaker secondary, truth be known. They just play with a mission that our guys didn't seem to buy into as much. It may not be coaching, at all, when it comes to the gelling of 11-20 different personalities on each side of the ball. We can only hope the next team has more of an Alabama approach to business. Maybe, it is some guys that just aren't coach-able but talented as hell. Unless you are in that locker room yourself, you will never know.

Secondly, we have all been spoiled by the success of the team but this fan base can seem unappreciative. Let's face it, without our support, the team has none. If you don't believe that, try living anywhere but Alabama. They ALL hate us so, given that fact, what support the team gets from its own fans is all its ever going to get and the voices my seem louder when they dissent. But hey, you want to bitch on social media, go right ahead. I'm sure none of the players see that shit. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom