| FTBL Saban critical of fan criticism

musso

As most of you know, after the Iron Bowl Saban criticized fans who had been criticizing the team this season. I'm wondering how you all received that.

In my opinion, it's a major turnoff. Don't blame us for your team sucking in certain areas. When your RB is your biggest receiving threat ... when you uncharacteristically don't force turnovers ... when you can't produce crucial defensive stops like you used to be able to do ... when your team commits a record number of penalties ... THAT'S ON YOU, SABAN. Stop projecting on others and just accept legitimate criticism. You're the highest paid coach in the nation and the highest paid public employee in your state.

Anyone else feel the same, or differently?

I didn't see the comments... I'll watch the PC at some point tomorrow most likely... but I doubt it's anything that will bother me. He, his players, and his staff have all taken their share of hits from fans... some deserved IMO, some not. He's more than earned the right to lob some back if he wants to defend his guys, which I would imagine (again, haven't seen it) is what he was doing. What he earns every month or the fact that he's a state employee doesn't really factor into it for me personally.

As most of you know, after the Iron Bowl Saban criticized fans who had been criticizing the team this season. I'm wondering how you all received that.

In my opinion, it's a major turnoff. Don't blame us for your team sucking in certain areas. When your RB is your biggest receiving threat ... when you uncharacteristically don't force turnovers ... when you can't produce crucial defensive stops like you used to be able to do ... when your team commits a record number of penalties ... THAT'S ON YOU, SABAN. Stop projecting on others and just accept legitimate criticism. You're the highest paid coach in the nation and the highest paid public employee in your state.

I’m with you.

Oh good god almighty. :laugh:

“To be honest with you, I think that a lot of the naysayers, a lot of the people that were very negative about this team, a lot of the things that were written and said about this team, really united the players.

“They would say things like, ‘This is all we have, but it’s all we need is the people in this room,’ and I think … we have some great fans, and a great stadium and a great atmosphere and we appreciate it. I appreciate that, and I know our players do as well. But people who are negative and naysayers if they support the University of Alabama, you are hurting the program, because it’s a reflection on our culture and how positive we are.”

“To be honest with you, I think that a lot of the naysayers, a lot of the people that were very negative about this team, a lot of the things that were written and said about this team, really united the players.

“They would say things like, ‘This is all we have, but it’s all we need is the people in this room,’ and I think … we have some great fans, and a great stadium and a great atmosphere and we appreciate it. I appreciate that, and I know our players do as well. But people who are negative and naysayers if they support the University of Alabama, you are hurting the program, because it’s a reflection on our culture and how positive we are.”
That's it?....that's being "critical".... 😬
:laugh:

I did not see the comments either, but it’s not the first time he has been critical of the fans. Honestly, I think that is just his personality coming through because of the frustration of the season. I don’t really take it as a good or a bad thing, you know with every Fanbase, especially our fans that are used to constantly winning because they haven’t gone through The tough years as many of us on here have seen, they get used to winning all the time.

I know I can be critical of certain things, but in the end, and I think it is the case with most of us on here we are fans, no matter what, and we will always support the team. It’s the bandwagon, fly by night fans that get under your skin.

I heard his comments after the game. He wasn't angry; he sounded a bit tired, but then again he just coached a very strange blowout...A blowout where the barn rushed for well over 300 and Bama committed over a 100 yards in penalties. He did say that the criticism goes against the standard and hurts the program.

I don't know...I get exactly what he's saying. I'm not upset about two losses. I just don't see the same program. As it's been mentioned on this board so often, this team just doesn't play with the pissed off fire it used to. Others have gone back to quote Saban's own words at his introductory presser: (para) Bama needs to be the team that no one wants to play. Right now, I don't see that.

Saban can be critical if he wants. It's his right. But I would say this. If we didn't care we wouldn't be critical. I don't care if Clemson has a good defense. I don't care if USC has a good passing game. I don't care if Oklahoma leads the nation in penalties. Because I don't care if those guys win or lose. I care if Alabama wins or loses because they are my team. Saban has said that we all contribute to the success of the team. So if I want my team to be successful, I want them to do things the right way. And I have the right to point out where they are doing things the wrong way. And they should be criticizing themselves. And they should be improving. But the fact that they have not improved one bit shows that they either don't care or they don't know how to do things right. Either way they are failing. And one other thing: All these NIL deals and all this money that keeps being poured into the program comes from the fans. Merchandising, tickets, watching games on TV, all of that produces money which pays salaries, improves facilities, and increases the universities bottom line. So as one who has contributed a lot of money to this school over the years, I feel I have earned the right to criticize when it is warranted.

I watched it last night. I think he was trying to say positive reinforcement helps the program and negative hurts it. He pointed to the 95k at the first A-Day game as positive influence that helped propel the program. He is not wrong here. You think all the negative comments and energy surrounding Harsin helped the Barn? Not rocket science and not anything to get upset about either.

Based on his comments, it doesn't sound like he was blaming the fans.....or anyone for that matter.

That said, he has a right to criticize people, whether it be fans, the media, other coaches, etc. As fans, we criticize the coaches for not using the "right players" or for not running the "right plays", or we criticize the players, themselves, for not doing their job. But what I don't see is any of those fans volunteering to step up and be a coach or put on a uniform and get out on that field and maybe do something "the right way".

So in my opinion, he can criticize who wants when he wants. He's earned that right.

Last edited:

That’s it? 🤦🏻‍♂️

This fan base is so spoiled. In the last 10 years we have been in the NCG seven times and won four could have had six. The last 15 seasons at least 10 wins. I know we will most likely not continue at that rate and I'm ok with that. Thank you CNS!
Could've just stopped there, lol.....but yeah.

They cry, now. What's gonna happen when he retires and the 10-win seasons stop coming so often? Better keep those heart medication prescriptions filled.

I believe the majority of the Bama fanbase, unlike the school down the roads fans, are a highly intelligent football fanbase and can call 🐂 :poop: on a great many things related to the sport. We do have tendencies to call out shitty plays, shitty play calls, schemes and the likes. I see it as being a realistic view/opinion from a high IQ football savvy fanbase instead of criticism. Dont believe me, talk football with an Aubie fan for about 5 minutes....bless they hearts.:p

Could've just stopped there, lol.....but yeah.

They cry, now. What's gonna happen when he retires and the 10-win seasons stop coming so often? Better keep those heart medication prescriptions filled.
A lot of them will leave. Just as fast as they jumped on the train. I've thought about the Spring game a lot in the last few years. Now a lot of spoiled folks can't be bothered with going. It's like "I'll buy a lottery ticket when the prize gets way up there". We didn't have a pot to piss in for several years before CNS got here and now a lot of the "fan" base have become entitled.

I posted this to the game thread last night. As you can see, I agree with you. Truth be told, Saban probably wants to thank us for being the catalyst to unite the team. Nah … thanking us is taking it a step too far.

“In his press conference tonight, Saban got all over us fans who have been critical of this year’s team but admitted that criticism is what drove the team to come together and play better. Something had to wake this team up. We kept thinking each week they would come around. First with the Texas close call then again with the close call with A&M and then for sure following the loss to the vile’s but nothing changed. So, Saban and the players may not like the fans who’ve been critical but the Bama fan base and their high expectations is a huge part of why Bama has been so successful for so many decades. No other program comes even close to having won NC’s in nine of eleven decades. Auburn fans for example are happy as long as their team beats Bama. Georgia fans are happy as long as their team wins a NC every 40+ years. Bama fans expect championships every year and aren’t satisfied with anything less. Does that create a lot of pressure on the coaches and the players? You bet it does but that pressure and those expectations form the culture that’s Alabama football. Yankees fans aren’t happy unless their team wins the WS. It absolutely creates a lot of pressure on their coaches and the players but that’s also their culture. Now, I know Saban’s thin skinned and takes the criticism personally but he knew what he was getting into when he accepted the job. Just as he knew when he signed all of the extensions and accepted all of the raises making him the highest paid coach in the game year after year … and deservedly so. Though it’s not just us fans who’ve been critical this season … many former players have been critical too. Like us, they can see there’s something that’s been missing from this team. Is it the coordinators? Is it the players? Is it Saban? It’s probably a combination of all three. Regardless, it all falls on the man making the Big Bucks. Now, it’s understandable that he doesn’t like being criticized but unlike Coach Bryant, he rarely takes responsibility. That’s OK as long as he figures out what has happened and makes the moves to correct those deficiencies. And now’s the time … Bama could back into the playoffs this season and win another NC. They’ve backed in before and won it all. If that happens we fans will have played a part in it.”

I didn't see the comments... I'll watch the PC at some point tomorrow most likely... but I doubt it's anything that will bother me. He, his players, and his staff have all taken their share of hits from fans... some deserved IMO, some not. He's more than earned the right to lob some back if he wants to defend his guys, which I would imagine (again, haven't seen it) is what he was doing. What he earns every month or the fact that he's a state employee doesn't really factor into it for me personally.
This. Lot of stuff I've seen over the past month and half was unnecessary for the most part from the fans.

Back
Top Bottom