| FTBL Saban critical of fan criticism

This fan base is so spoiled. In the last 10 years we have been in the NCG seven times and won four could have had six. The last 15 seasons at least 10 wins. I know we will most likely not continue at that rate and I'm ok with that. Thank you CNS!
Agree with this except the "I'm ok". Can we not be ok with it? I followed Bama football from a really young age and recall the early 70's onwards so I have seen great times and lean and we always measure things based on the standard that has been around a loooooong time even before Bryant.

The standard and culture demand excellence. It is important to a lot of people that is why that even when there are down times the program will recover. It matters to so many people.

Agree with this except the "I'm ok". Can we not be ok with it? I followed Bama football from a really young age and recall the early 70's onwards so I have seen great times and lean and we always measure things based on the standard that has been around a loooooong time even before Bryant.

The standard and culture demand excellence. It is important to a lot of people that is why that even when there are down times the program will recover. It matters to so many people.

I'm a realist it will not go on forever.

This. Lot of stuff I've seen over the past month and half was unnecessary for the most part from the fans.

Yep. And too many people make it personal, which is sad. It's that sort of stuff that has caused people like Golding's kids to have to put up with comments at their school. The kids learn it from the parents...

Those that are not ok with it will have to get over it. It's not practical to think they will play in the NCG 70% of the time. The last 15 years are a run that will NEVER be seen again.
Not saying there will not be some down years but they will always bounce back because of how important it is at Bama. Saban is not the first successful coach at Bama. The only time I was concerned they might not bounce back was post Stallings because of the down years and sanctions. Just really bad football for several years back to back. They bounced back as you know.

Oh good god almighty. :laugh:

“To be honest with you, I think that a lot of the naysayers, a lot of the people that were very negative about this team, a lot of the things that were written and said about this team, really united the players.

“They would say things like, ‘This is all we have, but it’s all we need is the people in this room,’ and I think … we have some great fans, and a great stadium and a great atmosphere and we appreciate it. I appreciate that, and I know our players do as well. But people who are negative and naysayers if they support the University of Alabama, you are hurting the program, because it’s a reflection on our culture and how positive we are.”

I didn't take it as being critical. Lord knows, I have been critical of the OC and DC since they were hired. I have also been critical of the players, not performing well, mental mistakes, blown coverages, poor tackling, bad pursuit angles, etc.... No doubt, I along with just about every other fan has high expectations every year when we land so many 5 star recruits.

Last edited:
Though it’s not just us fans who’ve been critical this season … many former players have been critical too. Like us, they can see there’s something that’s been missing from this team. Is it the coordinators? Is it the players? Is it Saban? It’s probably a combination of all three. Regardless, it all falls on the man making the Big Bucks. Now, it’s understandable that he doesn’t like being criticized but unlike Coach Bryant, he rarely takes responsibility. That’s OK as long as he figures out what has happened and makes the moves to correct those deficiencies. And now’s the time …
🎯💯
👌

But people who are negative and naysayers if they support the University of Alabama, you are hurting the program, because it’s a reflection on our culture and how positive we are.”
This was what mostly annoyed me. Maybe Saban is referring to something in particular of which I'm not aware, but I took this as him skirting responsibility. How can he say the program is hurt when the people who support his program with their hard earned money and scarce time express their assessment???? Any leader of an organization should be prepared to defend themselves if necessary and also accept legitimate critiques. Shifting blame to your supporters and patrons for your own failures is a terrible look. It's not like we fans are making it up. Yes the expectations are unrealistic, but success created these expectations. No one is calling for Saban's departure, and we all know it will end at some point. But we're just making note of several peculiar and unusual deficiencies in this team. And as another poster mentioned, former players have also been critical too.

I was STUNNED when I saw the statline for turnovers this year. 5 picks and 5 fumbles, I can't think of another Alabama defense in the last decade that has less production.
I’ve been commenting on here about turnovers for the last 5-6 weeks. We had 8 going in to the Iron Bowl. I can’t remember a season where we had so few. We’ve lost the turnover battle a lot this year. Young had 6 INTs alone, compared with 30 TDs. Last year he had 7 INTs against 47 TDs. We just didn’t cause turnovers this year.

We all know CNS has mellowed some which is fine. Because of that he needs to bring in some coaches with that fire in their belly and shall I say be assholes that challenge these guys manhoods. At least one thing that I think would help. The other of course is someone that can motivate and teach during practice, put together game plans to attack the opponents weaknesses, make adjustmnets during games and field a defense that takes it personal when someone gets a first down much less scores.

In summary a fire needs to be relit.

Those that are not ok with it will have to get over it. It's not practical to think they will play in the NCG 70% of the time. The last 15 years are a run that will NEVER be seen again.
I vividly remember many stories following his death claiming Coach Bryant’s record of excellence in the 60’s and 70’s would never be duplicated. I agreed with them wholeheartedly. Then came Saban … and because Bama fans demand excellence there will one day be another great Bama coach. Who knows … he might even do to Saban’s records what Saban did to the Bear’s. We just don’t know. What I do know is Bama fans will not be satisfied with 10 win seasons very long. And that’s a huge part of Bama’s culture.

I couldn’t imagine being Golding’s kids. I’ve always thought at the end of the day it’s just a damn game
I absolutely agree none of us fans should make it personal and we certainly should never allow our children to say anything disparaging to the children of a coach. Until my kids were young adults they never even heard me complain about the team’s play no matter how awful that was. However, with other adults, I made and still make my feelings known. As I’ve said many times, Bama fans demanding excellence plays a huge role in Bama’s greatness. If we Tide fans all “thought it’s just damn game”, Bama wouldn’t be what Bama is … the greatest college football program of all time. Instead, Bama’s record would more closely resemble that of Ole Miss or Mississippi State or Arkansas.

I absolutely agree none of us fans should make it personal and we certainly should never allow our children to say anything disparaging to the children of a coach. Until my kids were young adults they never even heard me complain about the team’s play no matter how awful that was. However, with other adults, I made and still make my feelings known. As I’ve said many times, Bama fans demanding excellence plays a huge role in Bama’s greatness. If we Tide fans all “thought it’s just damn game”, Bama wouldn’t be what Bama is … the greatest college football program of all time. Instead, Bama’s record would more closely resemble that of Ole Miss or Mississippi State or Arkansas.
It is just a damn game, at the end of the day if a football game has bearing on a person’s life I can’t compute that.

Fans demanding excellence from a team doesn’t compute with me either, but all kinds make the world go round.

Do I want Bama to win? Of course, but it has no bearing on my day if they do or not, I'm disappointed when we lose and ecstatic when we win, but neither outcome has an overall bearing on my day to day and I really wouldn’t go as far as some fans

Back
Top Bottom