| FTBL Running Backs , What are you excited about this season?. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

I thought 22 personnel meant 2 TE, 2 RB. Am I wrong?

Regardless my general point is the 4-2-5 reduces the number of big DL trying to control the gaps between the OTs from Saban’s “regular” 3-4. I remember when Urban and UF came to Tuscaloosa in 2010, he used 5 DL instead of his usual 4 to try to limit Mark and Trent, to much success I might add. Might we do something similar, where we selectively use 5 DL against particular offenses?
Yes, 22 is two TE's, two RB's and a single WR. Who runs that scheme?

Constant's problem, as voiced here, is the DT's in Wommack's scheme aren't instructed to control the gaps. They are taught to crash those gaps. It's an "uphill" defensive scheme.

Who runs that scheme?
Few, if any, teams “run that scheme” exclusively, but my point is ANY team or situation employing 2 TEs. The best offenses these days are multiple. So I’m thinking Ga, LSU, Texas, maybe Tenn this year … anyone who has the OL and TEs to run inside with heavy personnel. Again, I remember hearing Saban state emphatically that you need that 5th guy against big OL with 2TEs. I’m just wondering in these situations if Womack schemes a 5th DL or if he expects the Husky to come down in the box and contest against a bigger offensive blocker. 🤷

I heard concern being expressed on Marvin Constant’s podcast about how well the 4-2-5 holds up against the Ace or 22 personnel from a physical running team. I know Saban was a believer in putting 3 big dudes between the OTs against the 2-TE formations from physical offenses. I’m a little concerned about reducing it down to 2.
Do you not believe our coaching staff will adjust for heavy alignments? In reality, Bama played base 3-4 so little last year that it looked much like a 4-2 - and I know the DB assignments will not match a Saban defense.

Do you not believe our coaching staff will adjust for heavy alignments? In reality, Bama played base 3-4 so little last year that it looked much like a 4-2 - and I know the DB assignments will not match a Saban defense.
This is one of those things that confuse me.

A lot of Saban's lines were heavy. A lot of those lines were beaten by speed. How many times did we talk about a team hitting slants on Bama's offensive line?

So now, we're looking at six in the box with the 'Rover' capable of being there quickly. The 'Stinger' offers more run support.

Out of the entire staff, Wommack may be the most underrated. Kirby sees ...

This is one of those things that confuse me.

A lot of Saban's lines were heavy. A lot of those lines were beaten by speed. How many times did we talk about a team hitting slants on Bama's offensive line?

So now, we're looking at six in the box with the 'Rover' capable of being there quickly. The 'Stinger' offers more run support.

Out of the entire staff, Wommack may be the most underrated. Kirby sees ...
At one point, someone on the site was lamenting the 3-4's capacity against the spread or RPO, but my memory's so bad I can't remember who it was.

At one point, someone on the site was lamenting the 3-4's capacity against the spread or RPO, but my memory's so bad I can't remember who it was.
Every team has a problem against a good spread or RPO offense. Saban's nickel did...then he went to the 'Rabbits.'

I am looking forward to Brandon starting the tread on UGA's wins this season.

Could only get better though to be honest. That's the reason they haven't been able to get over the hump.
They still likely won't have that caliber of defense to win a championship. How their team is structured, they're not built to be an elite defensive unit. They'll have their games where they play well, but if their offense isn't scoring at least 30+ points in a game, then theres a good chance they'll lose. Now I'll say this, their schedule this season is very favorable to them, especially early in the year. But as their schedule goes on, it gets tougher and tougher. They have to play at LSU, then Oklahoma, then back on the road against Arkansas, then their biggest game of the year.... Georgia. It's very possible they drop two games in that run they have. I just don't see their defense playing to the level needed to win all these games, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom