| FTBL RTB Staff Reviews the '08 Bama Offense.

TerryP

Staff
Over the last few days, several of us have put together our thoughts on the season as it stands today.

Most of it has been very good reviews, but taking a realistic point of view we've put this "on paper."

Considering most writers tend to grade things on a A, B, C and D scale, that was tempting. But, considering there wasn't any mark to compare the results this year against, we've ranked them versus our expectations before the '08 season kicked off.

Big_Fan has done a good job putting all of this together.

Read this on the football section of our blog

Nice article. I always enjoy those types of articles where you can compare one person's picks and opinions to another. Although my opinion just happens to be the correct one. :D :p

porkchop said:
Nice article. I always enjoy those types of articles where you can compare one person's picks and opinions to another. Although my opinion just happens to be the correct one. :D :p

To clarify, my opinions are the ones in the body of the text.

What? No one disagrees with anything said?!?

Personally, I think 'chop is a JP hater.

No, seriously, I wonder what you expected from JP 'chop?

Kirk mentioned he had greater expectations for our WR's. In what way?

I think we have great talent at that position,but haven't had to throw at them as often, not so much as a hit on the WR's as it is they arent utilizing it as often as I thought they would. My guess is the experience, but the passing and catching has not been lights out.

I have been most pleasantly surprised by the running game so far, and a bit disappointed in the passing game. I'd have thought that as much man coverage as we see because of our running that our receivers would have had a lot easier time getting open. Overall, though, the offense is a plus at this stage.

psychojoe said:
I have been most pleasantly surprised by the running game so far, and a bit disappointed in the passing game. I'd have thought that as much man coverage as we see because of our running that our receivers would have had a lot easier time getting open. Overall, though, the offense is a plus at this stage.

I recall a game I saw a few years ago...can't think of who it was against MSU, but I recall they threw the ball 8 times in the game. When asked why, the coach said, "they couldn't stop the run, why throw it?"

I LOVE that kind of football.

I love the running game as well. In the past I was accused of being in favor of Stone Age football (good enough for me and good enough for CGS). I am not displeased with the pass to run ratio, but I'd like for our passing game to be more efficient.

TerryP said:
psychojoe said:

I recall a game I saw a few years ago...can't think of who it was against MSU, but I recall they threw the ball 8 times in the game. When asked why, the coach said, "they couldn't stop the run, why throw it?"

I LOVE that kind of football.

Remember our loss to La. Tech in '99? La. Tech head coach Jack Bicknell said after the game that he did not know why we kept throwing the ball...they had a decent secondary, but could not stop the run to save their lives. We were 8 of 20 with 1 interception and only 100 yards or so passing. We had over 200 yards rushing on 40 attempts. It seemed like our passes were strategically placed to kill drives. We only ran 61 plays, while La. Tech ran 79.

Big_Fan said:
porkchop said:

I guess I should have said, my picks. Met, exceeded, below.

Terry, don't get me wrong here, the JPW question had me a little on the fence. There's a lot of good coming from JPW right now but there is still some bad. Some of the bad is incredibly easy to correct too, but it's not been corrected.

So, before I say anything else, let me state that I do support JPW and like him. I'm not a hater. :D

The good includes things like his passing percentage. It's up in several of the games and he looks really sharp at times. I like his moxy and tendency to try to make plays with his legs when things break down. He's hitting the short throws very well most of the time.

The bad includes things like managing the game. While he's doing a competent job at it, the whole notion of "managing" when talking about quarterbacks usually involves the negitive connoctation of belief that the QB cannot win the game because he doesn't have the ability to do so. So I guess what I'm saying is that I would expect more from JPW as a senior, than to just manage games. Currently we seem to be hoping that the running game can carry us week in and week out, while JPW does "just enough". That bothers me a little when I start thinking about teams like LSU and AU. I'd like to see a little more out of the passing game MORE CONSISTANTLY. With the game on the line and BAMA in need of a big play from the QB, can JPW deliver? I dunno.

JPW still has some trouble with the deep ball but we all knew that coming into the season, so I'm not too terribly torn up with that. What does bother me though is his tendency to lock onto one receiver....pretty much every play.

So all in all, I'm happy with John Parker but I think he could improve on some things. As far as my vote goes, it could have just as easily been "met expectations".

porkchop said:
Big_Fan said:
porkchop said:

I guess I should have said, my picks. Met, exceeded, below.

Terry, don't get me wrong here, the JPW question had me a little on the fence. There's a lot of good coming from JPW right now but there is still some bad. Some of the bad is incredibly easy to correct too, but it's not been corrected.

So, before I say anything else, let me state that I do support JPW and like him. I'm not a hater. :D

The good includes things like his passing percentage. It's up in several of the games and he looks really sharp at times. I like his moxy and tendency to try to make plays with his legs when things break down. He's hitting the short throws very well most of the time.

The bad includes things like managing the game. While he's doing a competent job at it, the whole notion of "managing" when talking about quarterbacks usually involves the negitive connoctation of belief that the QB cannot win the game because he doesn't have the ability to do so. So I guess what I'm saying is that I would expect more from JPW as a senior, than to just manage games. Currently we seem to be hoping that the running game can carry us week in and week out, while JPW does "just enough". That bothers me a little when I start thinking about teams like LSU and AU. I'd like to see a little more out of the passing game MORE CONSISTANTLY. With the game on the line and BAMA in need of a big play from the QB, can JPW deliver? I dunno.

JPW still has some trouble with the deep ball but we all knew that coming into the season, so I'm not too terribly torn up with that. What does bother me though is his tendency to lock onto one receiver....pretty much every play.

So all in all, I'm happy with John Parker but I think he could improve on some things. As far as my vote goes, it could have just as easily been "met expectations".

I wasn't really directing that comment at you, just clarifying, since mine were not listed apart from the article. The views and opinions expressed within were mine - the others are just as valid.

Back
Top Bottom