| FTBL Report: Coach Saban might have violated minor NCAA rules

Yea, I heard the same thing the other day.

Bunch of poop if you ask me. Sure, he may have done it, but they all do. Just read most of the recruits words on other sites and they all say the same thing.

That is a ridiculous rule. One that is almost to easy to violate...

The other amazing thing is that the Miami Herald quotes a Hurricane forum/web site for information.. What? This is another shot at Bama and Saban. Nothing more and nothing less.

I know one thing for sure, I am sick and tired of being everyones whipping post. I hope they stand up to this. Or at a minimum I hope Saban is able to link this to some one and take care of it on the field.

I saw a link on another site and it was an article about Saban doing the same thing while at LSU in 2002. Said he was spanked..... So in light of that, he would not do it again.

I think this just proves once again that there has been a major power shift in the SEC. They are afraid. And they should be... The days of Bama laying down due to poor coaching or bad recruiting are over....

I just want this kind of stuff to stop.... Tired of always being pointed at as cheaters...... :x

Saw this on sportscenter and so....at the risk of thread hijacking I'd like to make a comparison to a completley unrelated and lack of coverage... silence is deafening story or stories I should say. I guess ESPN is just waking up this morning...yet they managed to put us on the front of their Football page. :roll:

Auburn's Trahan, Smith unlikely to play next season

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times May 24, 2007 4:40 PM

Auburn linebacker Patrick Trahan, who won a starting job in the spring, and junior defensive tackle Greg Smith are likely to be academically ineligible for next season.
Trahan, from New Orleans, would be a third-year sophomore. He played in 13 games last season and was in on 14 tackles. He was Auburn's most consistent linebacker in the spring and won the starting job on the strong side. He apparently came up short on earning the required grade point average and is expected to remain in school and try to regain eligibility for the 2008 season.
Smith, a highly touted junior college transfer, was redshirted last season. It is uncertain what his future plans are.
With Trahan likely out of the picture, it becomes more critical that sophomore Tray Blackmon, who sat out the spring semester to deal with personal issues, gains his eligibility. If he does, which is considered likely, he is expected to be the starter in the middle. Junior Merrill Johnson is the projected starter on the weak side. Redshirt freshman Craig Stevens will probably move to the strong side and be the man to beat there.

Auburn signees' grades changed

Friday, May 25, 2007 By RENA HAVNER and MIKE HERNDON
Staff Reporters
Mobile Register

Grade changes on the transcripts of two Auburn University football signees from Mobile are under investigation by the Mobile County school system and the NCAA Clearinghouse, which verifies the grades of all college-bound athletes, according to school officials.
Superintendent Harold Dodge confirmed to the Press-Register on Thursday that several grades of one student graduating this week from B.C. Rain High and another from Williamson High were changed on the students' transcripts. Later versions of the transcripts had higher final grades than what the students originally earned, Dodge said.
"There seems to be some variance in the scores," Dodge said. "On a first blush, it looks like either the first transcripts were really wrong" or the grades were changed for some other reason.

Link to Story

If every newspaper ends up running with this, and nothing comes out of this whole USC thing.

Going to be one pissed off guy over here at the Smith household. That is about all....

This crap is getting old. Pete Carrol had ex-players calling all of his recruits it that got very minimal attention. I am sick of ESPN jumping on Bama it is total BS.

You all know we are the pinata for NCAA rules violations. I'm sure we will have to put up with this type of junk for many years to come.

so will anything come of this??? i would hate for something like this to happen before the guy even coaches a game. good lord. if he did do that then you've got to admit that was pretty damn stupid... oh, this will be the talk of cfb for a couple of weeks because it is negative and has bama's name on it. if he did'nt do anything wrong then lets drop it and move on, but if he did... well, here we go again :roll:

bamafan said:
so will anything come of this???

No, not in terms of any significant punishment to Saban or the program. The media will run with it as long as they can, and then maybe another mile or 2, then they will wait for the next Saban/BAMA related story to pop up, and run with it for a while.

There isn't much for those who write about college football to write about now, so this is a story. IMO if this had happened at a time during the season it would have been little more than a footnote. I am sure that every coach does as much as Saban does and more, but Saban is a lightning rod for criticism in the Miami area. :roll:

In the meantime, less than 100 days until kick off and I am ready@!

Nothing will come of this, just like nothing came of the report that Saban was contacting players that had already committed back in January. This kind of stuff happens all the time and will be forgotten quickly because it just isn't that big of deal. It is impossible to remember every rule the NCAA has anyway. No one could do it.

The troubling part is how much scrutiny you guys are getting. A minor incident like this becomes a national story? I agree that is it absurd. What would worry me, if I were you, really has to do with overzealous boosters, which can be a problem with any school, not Saban. He's a clean coach. It seems that if ANYONE with Alabama ties steps out of line, however, it will be the lead in story on SportsCenter the next morning.

You guys wanted to be back in the mix in the upper echelon of college football. You've got your wish, but I don't think anyone expected this. But, if you do pull out a NC in the next 5 years, it will make it all the more satisfying, I would imagine.

AlaTiger said:
Nothing will come of this, just like nothing came of the report that Saban was contacting players that had already committed back in January. This kind of stuff happens all the time and will be forgotten quickly because it just isn't that big of deal. It is impossible to remember every rule the NCAA has anyway. No one could do it.

The troubling part is how much scrutiny you guys are getting. A minor incident like this becomes a national story? I agree that is it absurd. What would worry me, if I were you, really has to do with overzealous boosters, which can be a problem with any school, not Saban. He's a clean coach. It seems that if ANYONE with Alabama ties steps out of line, however, it will be the lead in story on SportsCenter the next morning.

You guys wanted to be back in the mix in the upper echelon of college football. You've got your wish, but I don't think anyone expected this. But, if you do pull out a NC in the next 5 years, it will make it all the more satisfying, I would imagine.

AlaTiger,

You make some good points but your post just shows that you know only enough about Alabama football to be dangerous.

The lightning rod isn't Coach Saban. Coach Saban just became interlocked with the lightning rod when he said that he would be the next Head Coach at The University of Alabama. We have been a lightning rod for years now with every coaching move questioned and challenged. We get criticized for who we hire, who we don't hire and who we fire. Everything is under the microscope and has been. That's nothing new to any of us.

Yeah, we may still have some over-zealous boosters left that are still breathing but one thing I can assure you, these boosters are wealthy because they aren't stupid. One screw up with one of them getting us in trouble with the NCAA would be the proverbial death sentence to that individual and any business interests that he had in the state. The Logan Youngs of the Alabama football world are a dying breed.

As for what Saban did in this story, it concerns the Hell out of me. I don't like the word "violation" ever mentioned in the same sentence with "Alabama Football". If he screwed up and did this, he needs to make sure to follow the rules better next time, no matter how mundane.

The mistake that many opposing fans make about this program is to assume than any man is bigger than the program itself. The program will always be more important than the coach. The coach that learns to embrace that usually acquires more success at a place like Alabama. The place is a pressure cooker and it takes a strong coach to be successful in a place like BAMA. I strongly believe that Saban is that guy.

Bamafanforever,
That was a great post!! I think the thing that people do not understand and what bothers me the most is that all the schools are doing it but the media is only reporting on Alabama. That has nothing to do with Saban and everything to do with the University of Alabama.
Saban did not thrust Alabama into the spotlight. Quit the contrary, it was Bama who thrust him into the spotlight. There are so many things that the media and sports folks do not like about Alabama hiring Saban.

For instance, they scream when Mikey was fired. would they want him at there college? Would they have kept him employed even though he refused to make changes? I hardly doubt it.

Then they fuss about how much money he makes. Well, Stoops has it in his contract that he must be the highest paid coach. Tressel, Stoops, Weiss all make more than 3.5 million per year. But Alabama is disgusting for paying 4?

They ridicule Alabama fans for having 92000+ fans show up for A-day. People were turned away... They insult every Alabama fan alive. Calling us rednecks, stupid, etc.... But they praise Nebraska and Ohio St. crowd for A day.

Like you said, it is a pressure cooker. The only decent coach we have had since Stallins was Franphonie. He couldn't handle the heat and split.

It is hard for some to swallow it, but Alabama will be back. Sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom