Auburn's Trahan, Smith unlikely to play next season
Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times May 24, 2007 4:40 PM
Auburn linebacker Patrick Trahan, who won a starting job in the spring, and junior defensive tackle Greg Smith are likely to be academically ineligible for next season.
Trahan, from New Orleans, would be a third-year sophomore. He played in 13 games last season and was in on 14 tackles. He was Auburn's most consistent linebacker in the spring and won the starting job on the strong side. He apparently came up short on earning the required grade point average and is expected to remain in school and try to regain eligibility for the 2008 season.
Smith, a highly touted junior college transfer, was redshirted last season. It is uncertain what his future plans are.
With Trahan likely out of the picture, it becomes more critical that sophomore Tray Blackmon, who sat out the spring semester to deal with personal issues, gains his eligibility. If he does, which is considered likely, he is expected to be the starter in the middle. Junior Merrill Johnson is the projected starter on the weak side. Redshirt freshman Craig Stevens will probably move to the strong side and be the man to beat there.
Auburn signees' grades changed
Friday, May 25, 2007 By RENA HAVNER and MIKE HERNDON
Grade changes on the transcripts of two Auburn University football signees from Mobile are under investigation by the Mobile County school system and the NCAA Clearinghouse, which verifies the grades of all college-bound athletes, according to school officials.
Superintendent Harold Dodge confirmed to the Press-Register on Thursday that several grades of one student graduating this week from B.C. Rain High and another from Williamson High were changed on the students' transcripts. Later versions of the transcripts had higher final grades than what the students originally earned, Dodge said.
"There seems to be some variance in the scores," Dodge said. "On a first blush, it looks like either the first transcripts were really wrong" or the grades were changed for some other reason.
bamafan said:so will anything come of this???
AlaTiger said:Nothing will come of this, just like nothing came of the report that Saban was contacting players that had already committed back in January. This kind of stuff happens all the time and will be forgotten quickly because it just isn't that big of deal. It is impossible to remember every rule the NCAA has anyway. No one could do it.
The troubling part is how much scrutiny you guys are getting. A minor incident like this becomes a national story? I agree that is it absurd. What would worry me, if I were you, really has to do with overzealous boosters, which can be a problem with any school, not Saban. He's a clean coach. It seems that if ANYONE with Alabama ties steps out of line, however, it will be the lead in story on SportsCenter the next morning.
You guys wanted to be back in the mix in the upper echelon of college football. You've got your wish, but I don't think anyone expected this. But, if you do pull out a NC in the next 5 years, it will make it all the more satisfying, I would imagine.