| FTBL regarding gameday music...

jdpas29

Verified Member
ok... before i get blasted let me say these words...

1) i love the MDB. they are a good band and what they play they play well.

2) i was a band member for pretty much the whole time i was in high school and college so i have a good bit of experience and knowledge about the subject at least greater than your average bear.

that being said, i would like to start an Anti-Green Day thread now. when i think about football, i don't think about green day. i certainly don't think about phrases like : "do you have the time to listen to me whine?"
There will be NO WHINING in our stadium!!!

i'm not here to tell them what to play, but i think we can do better than green day... especially since it's been played in the stadium for like 5 years now or something.

Alabama as you may well know is a very musical state. we have a lot of history when it comes to music and a lot to give the world out of the abundance of joy in our souls. let's make what is played in the stadium a reflection of that. but i think a lot of the beat patterns and basslines from rap, pop and from soul music would be great for the band to do to get the players motivated. since the majority of our players are African-Americans that makes even more sense.

let's get our groove on! :p

I see your point, however I fall into the category of feeling that somehow hearing 'Basketcase' at the start of the fourth quarter has become almost a tradition.

But, if it's funk you want, I believe that I've heard the band play this on more than one occasion:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6c3emqC6aw[/youtube]

I mean c'mon, it doesn't get funkier than War 8) .

I see your point as well....but I think the band playing a Green Day song is great and original. Plus since I grew up listening to Green Day and still do, it's always nice to sit and watch my favorite team and listen to the band play music that I actually like.

Im suprised whenever I can hear the band anymore. :?

They havent been the same since the change of the leadership a few years back IMO.

I am just going to chime in my 2 cents here.... I have seen clips from the Georgia-Auburn Blackout game last year...I do not think I heard a crowd get any louder and the sidelines get more "crunk" than we they started playing "crank that" by soulja boy. I know not too many would be up to that type of music but it got the team pumped and jumping around and the crowd was actually getting loud too. Like JDpas said the rap music gets the players motivated.

bamabass23 said:
I am just going to chime in my 2 cents here.... I have seen clips from the Georgia-Auburn Blackout game last year...I do not think I heard a crowd get any louder and the sidelines get more "crunk" than we they started playing "crank that" by soulja boy. I know not too many would be up to that type of music but it got the team pumped and jumping around and the crowd was actually getting loud too. Like JDpas said the rap music gets the players motivated.

TIDEPRIDE brings in $20Million selling tickets, and that money ain't coming in from the "crunk" crowd.

Bama is unique in that it was building a big fan base with NC in the 60's, 70's and 90's. Our fan base is older than most which is a blessing, but one of the few down sides is the low "crunk" rating.

LBS said:
bamabass23 said:

TIDEPRIDE brings in $20Million selling tickets, and that money ain't coming in from the "crunk" crowd.

Bama is unique in that it was building a big fan base with NC in the 60's, 70's and 90's. Our fan base is older than most which is a blessing, but one of the few down sides is the low "crunk" rating.

I see what you are saying. I guess just seeing what a little music can do to pump a team made me talk about seeing that.

rammajamma said:
They really need to start playing "One Moment In Time" by Whitney Houston. That really helps them "focus" on the game.

familyguyfreakinsweet.jpg
:lol: :lol:

rammajamma said:
They really need to start playing "One Moment In Time" by Whitney Houston. That really helps them "focus" on the game.

Bill Curry is not our Band director (thank God) and it did us no good before the 89 Auburn game when they handed us our first loss of the season that year.........No thank you on the Crack Ho music!

jdpas29 said:
ok... before i get blasted let me say these words...

1) i love the MDB. they are a good band and what they play they play well.

2) i was a band member for pretty much the whole time i was in high school and college so i have a good bit of experience and knowledge about the subject at least greater than your average bear.

that being said, i would like to start an Anti-Green Day thread now. when i think about football, i don't think about green day. i certainly don't think about phrases like : "do you have the time to listen to me whine?"
There will be NO WHINING in our stadium!!!

i'm not here to tell them what to play, but i think we can do better than green day... especially since it's been played in the stadium for like 5 years now or something.

Alabama as you may well know is a very musical state. we have a lot of history when it comes to music and a lot to give the world out of the abundance of joy in our souls. let's make what is played in the stadium a reflection of that. but i think a lot of the beat patterns and basslines from rap, pop and from soul music would be great for the band to do to get the players motivated. since the majority of our players are African-Americans that makes even more sense.

let's get our groove on! :p

First of all, I would like to thank you of the kind words at the beginning. Every band member appreciates the support the bamanation shows them. Now, on this Basketcase thing, I hate to tell you, but I just don't see it going away.

Something you might not know is the football team actually cherishes the song. We used to play for them on the night before the first day of classes in the fall and there were two songs they wanted to hear: Yea Alabama and "The 4th Quarter Song", not Basketcase. Everytime we played it for them, you would see the vet football players hold up those four fingers. I'm sorry you and whomever else don't like it, but the football teamDOES enjoy and that's who we are there for.

Back
Top Bottom