| PRO Pete Golding's former players continued to fiercely defend the ex-Tide DC at the NFL combine.

Dude was a good coach, but couch coaches whined enough he said peace out
So, do you think the defenses the past couple of years were good too? Or do you think Bama didn’t recruit the right guys? Or they did but those players didn’t perform up to the Bama standard? I’m sure it was some of both but primarily one or the other.

I think Golding’s a good coach too but Saban’s defensive schemes are so damn complicated I think it takes a great coordinator to produce great defenses. An elite defense requires someone who knows how to implement those schemes correctly, come up with innovative game plans each week based on what the opponent does well, quickly call the correct alignments on every snap and make in game adjustments. Bama’s defenses the past few years looked anything but elite. How many times did we see confusion before the snap, missed assignments, coverage busts, missed tackles and stupid penalties at exactly the wrong time? Way too often. And more than that, Bama’s defenses haven’t looked hungry or played angrily or performed consistently. Bama’s elite defenses in the past confused and overwhelmed their opponents not the other way around. Those defenses also had a number of alphas who set the example and fiercely held everyone else accountable. We haven’t seen much of that under Golden.

So, again all of that begs the question(s) …was it more Golden or more the players? If the Ole Miss defense takes a dramatic turn for the better and Bama’s remains the same or even looks worse, we’ll know it wasn’t Golden. The opposite would show it wasn’t the players. In any event, I’m looking forward to seeing something different from the defense. Does that make me a bad fan? I think it makes me a Bama fan. There’s a reason why the Tide have won NC’s in nine of the past eleven decades. A big part of it is because our fan base demands excellence and will not settle for merely being good.

And read Tennessee QB saying he was surprised they only scored 52 on that D

And look at NFL draft and see how many of the D drafted...several in first round
That alone should get any D coordinator at Bama fired..... Unacceptable which lead me to this.

A big part of it is because our fan base demands excellence and will not settle for merely being good.
Totally agree and we should never applogize for this. It matters to a lot of people and settling for average to good will not be acceptable. That is what has made Bama great over the years. Set a high standard and it attracts players and coaches who want to be the best. It is a mindset and seperates Bama from everyone else.

We haven’t seen much of that under Golden.

So, again all of that begs the question(s) …was it more Golden or more the players? If the Ole Miss defense takes a dramatic turn for the better and Bama’s remains the same or even looks worse, we’ll know it wasn’t Golden. The opposite would show it wasn’t the players. In any event, I’m looking forward to seeing something different from the defense. Does that make me a bad fan? I think it makes me a Bama fan. There’s a reason why the Tide have won NC’s in nine of the past eleven decades. A big part of it is because our fan base demands excellence and will not settle for merely being good.
No matter what happens, I can guarantee Golden has nothing to with it. ;)

So, do you think the defenses the past couple of years were good too? Or do you think Bama didn’t recruit the right guys? Or they did but those players didn’t perform up to the Bama standard? I’m sure it was some of both but primarily one or the other.

I think Golding’s a good coach too but Saban’s defensive schemes are so damn complicated I think it takes a great coordinator to produce great defenses. An elite defense requires someone who knows how to implement those schemes correctly, come up with innovative game plans each week based on what the opponent does well, quickly call the correct alignments on every snap and make in game adjustments. Bama’s defenses the past few years looked anything but elite. How many times did we see confusion before the snap, missed assignments, coverage busts, missed tackles and stupid penalties at exactly the wrong time? Way too often. And more than that, Bama’s defenses haven’t looked hungry or played angrily or performed consistently. Bama’s elite defenses in the past confused and overwhelmed their opponents not the other way around. Those defenses also had a number of alphas who set the example and fiercely held everyone else accountable. We haven’t seen much of that under Golden.

The question whether or not our defense was good under Golding has been beat to death, so all I’ll say is anybody that doesn’t think Golding is a good coach just doesn’t know football.

As for our elite defenses in the past, it was a far different game then.

Something that I completely disagree with and will catch a lot of hate from people about us fans “demanding excellence” has exactly zero to do with a team’s performance. Fans showing up to games and being loud has an impact on the game, but their “demanding excellence” has nothing to do with it.

The question whether or not our defense was good under Golding has been beat to death, so all I’ll say is anybody that doesn’t think Golding is a good coach just doesn’t know football.

Ha, how many failed employees say that about their old boss? The fact stands that a once proud unit with the most talent in years still didn't hold up to the standard. I'll keep beating a dead horse if necessary, but propping your stats up on Vanderbilt, Utah State, and Middle Tennessee State while getting blown away by a Tennessee, LSU, ans Texas A&M on defense isn't what Alabama needs or expects.

Back
Top Bottom