| FTBL Our Passing game....Discuss please..

IMHO I think McCoy is struggling so much for getting open and he's not handling the ball well, even without displaying good technique catching the ball (Do you remember that drop in a deep throw by Wilson?). I'm glad to see Darius Hanks more involved in the game these last two weeks and I hope to see him emerging in the passing game. Maze is OK as a deep-threat as are Walker and McCall moving the chains (however, I expected even a major role for Walker as a possession receiver). I like what I've seen from Smelley, he's a mismatch for some linebackers because of his quickness and for some defensive backs because of his size.

However, at this point, Julio Jones is our only REAL threat in the passing game. But, you know, he's still a true freshman.

RTR,

TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:
porkchop said:
I might be in the minority here but I'll go ahead and say it. I'm very concerned about our passing game.

(1) Julio is the only one being thrown to the vast majority of the time. I know Julio is going to be something special, but we need to mix it up more to keep teams off balance IMHO.

(2) What the ham sammich has happened to Mike McCoy and the others? Are they still on the team?

(3) JPW's propensity to tuck it and run. Okay, that's both good and bad. I appreciate him not wanting to throw an INT, and attempting to make something out of the play. But here's the thing; Either he can't deliver the throw or our receivers simply don't have the talent or ability to get open against less than spectacular defenses.

I can't count the number of times last night where this occured. It's only going to get worse against Auburn, Florida, and more than likely whoever we face in a bowl game.

We can't continue to get nothing out of the passing game and just pretend that teams like the afore mentioned won't be able to stop our running game. That's half of football is knowing what the other team is going to do or forcing them into doing just that. I'd be licking my chops if I were an opposing DC after watching tape of the last couple of games. We need to improve the passing game IMHO.

I agree on some levels...with a caveat or two.

To some degree, I think we can throw it more and more effectively than we have shown at times. Against MSU, I think JPW knew that we did not have to complete passes to win the game handily...the passing game was more to keep the defense honest than it was to gain yards. We showed the pass more for the purpose of keeping the defense honest. Then we burned them late.

When we have really needed to throw the ball this season, we have done so with success - and not just to Julio. Against UGA, we had seven different receivers catch the ball. We had over 200 yards passing. Six different receivers caught passes against LSU...Julio was the workhorse, but the ball did get spread around. If he is open and can catch it, we took it. We had 215 yards against LSU.

At the end of the day, I don't care so much about yards and number of receptions, if the W is in our favor. If we end up against a Big 12 team in the bowl, I will feel better with us running the ball, shortening the game, and chewing up 5 yards per carry. I have watched more big 12 games this season than normal, and I have not seen a decent rushing defense yet. Several Big 12 teams rank in the top 25 in rushing defense, but they don't play against power rushing teams. The conference is almost as pass-happy as the WAC used to be.

8 different receivers against Mississippi State, 17 on the season.

Julio has 43 reception on the year, Walker with 25...

I don't put that on JP at all as much as I have to ask why isn't McCoy getting open? Maze has had more success on getting open than our next receiver (wide-out) but I have to weigh that against Alexander not being 100% this year.

McCoy has dropped some key passes(One huge one in MSU game). Not everything can be blamed on JPW. MSU had outstanding coverage most of the time. JPW has done an outstanding job considering what he has to digest over the last three season. Passing game will get better...this is only the second year under Saban and first under CMc. Play action is our bread and butter outside of pounding the rock.

porkchop said:
I might be in the minority here but I'll go ahead and say it. I'm very concerned about our passing game.

(1) Julio is the only one being thrown to the vast majority of the time. I know Julio is going to be something special, but we need to mix it up more to keep teams off balance IMHO.

(2) What the ham sammich has happened to Mike McCoy and the others? Are they still on the team?

(3) JPW's propensity to tuck it and run. Okay, that's both good and bad. I appreciate him not wanting to throw an INT, and attempting to make something out of the play. But here's the thing; Either he can't deliver the throw or our receivers simply don't have the talent or ability to get open against less than spectacular defenses.

I can't count the number of times last night where this occured. It's only going to get worse against Auburn, Florida, and more than likely whoever we face in a bowl game.

We can't continue to get nothing out of the passing game and just pretend that teams like the afore mentioned won't be able to stop our running game. That's half of football is knowing what the other team is going to do or forcing them into doing just that. I'd be licking my chops if I were an opposing DC after watching tape of the last couple of games. We need to improve the passing game IMHO.

I agree 100% chop, I'd like to see him not lock on to #8. The kid is an outstanding player so I can see why you would want to throw it his way.

I like to see some good play action, I mean really look like we're handing the ball off to freeze the LB's. I think that might help, open up the middle some what. IDK what happen to throwing to the TE's, I'm sure they will reappear soon.

We can't keep running left that's for sure. I'm seeing 8 and 9 in the box because we haven't really stretched the field this year. A few times yes, but we are not a threat to do it.

When JPW does throw pass we have to catch it. Seems we had a case of droppies vs. MSU for some reason we can't afford mistakes like that vs. Barn. I hope this week off will give us time to refresh and recharge.
the_rolltide said:
i didnt read anything that anyone wrote!!!
I just wanted OPTIMUS and PORKCHOP to say that JPW is great!!!
ROFL he's god like if we keep wining! :wink:

Optimus said:
IDK what happen to throwing to the TE's, I'm sure they will reappear soon.

8 different players caught passes against MSU. 3 were TE's, 3 were RB's. :roll:
Receiving No. Yds TD Long
----------------------------------------
Julio Jones 3 53 0 34
Brad Smelley 2 46 0 37
Darius Hanks 2 24 0 12
Travis McCall 1 12 0 12
Glen Coffee 1 11 0 11
Jeramie Griffin 1 9 0 9
Nick Walker 1 6 0 6
Mark Ingram 1 5 0 5
Totals... 12 166 0 37

Against LSU
Julio Jones 7 128 0 26
Glen Coffee 2 19 0 11
Travis McCall 2 14 0 7
Mike McCoy 2 10 0 6
Earl Alexander 1 26 0 25
Nick Walker 1 18 0 18
Totals... 15 215 0 26

Vs Ark St
Julio Jones 5 62 0 21
Mike McCoy 3 26 0 15
Marquis Maze 1 24 0 24
Brad Smelley 1 11 0 11
Darius Hanks 1 10 0 10
Glen Coffee 1 9 0 9
Travis McCall 1 6 0 6
Mark Ingram 1 2 0 2
Earl Alexander 1 2 0 2
Totals... 15 152 0 24

Vs Tennessee
Julio Jones 6 103 0 35
Nick Walker 3 24 0 11
Roy Upchurch 2 13 0 10
Will Oakley 1 14 0 14
Mike McCoy 1 13 0 13
Brad Smelley 1 8 0 8
Nikita Stover 1 6 0 6
Glen Coffee 1 4 0 4
Marquis Maze 1 3 0 3
Totals... 17 188 0 35

In the last 4 games the Tide has completed 59 passes. 10 to RB's, 13 to TE's, and 36 to WR's. Looks to me like it has been spread around pretty well to the skill positions. And that was 7 different WR's. Yes Julio has a bulk of those catches.

Back
Top Bottom