| FTBL Other than UNDEFEATED, what?

G

Guest

Thread Starter
Any SEC team this deep into the schedule without a loss is something to be respected. But seriously, other than Undefeated what does Alabama hang its hat on in its claim as #1?

Thus far the teams that we have beaten are a total of 6 games below .500. If MSU and Auburn are rolled in, its 9 games under .500. Compare that to Florida who is 11 games ABOVE, and projected through the end of the season their schedule is 16 games above.

When has there not been a year where this conference's fans dismissed west coast and mid-major teams on a roll because they played a weak schedule. So how do we defend our claim to be #1?
 

RolltideinKY

Verified Member
Sideline Club
You know, I don't post much, just read a little and celebrate the fact that my favorite team is ranked #1, 10-0 and a lock in for the SEC championship.

To answer your question...

Win the next four games and all the questions will be answered!
 

junkntrunk

Registered
Celebrate instead of nit-picking...ESPN pays people to do that! The players deserve the respect of the fans, not the negative thoughts. Beat Florida and all that becomes hogwash!!! Have faith....
 

elbatider

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
To borrow a quote from our coach, "Let's worry about things we can control." Our opponents record other than the game against us is out of our control. Really, lets take them one at a time and beat the team we are scheduled to play.
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
RolltideinKY said:
Win the next four games and all the questions will be answered!

I'm with you. Winning out answers it all, and who is #1 today is irrelevant in the big picture.

I'm just wondering if we are being lifted more by the reputation of the SEC as opposed to the team we are putting on the field. If this team were undefeated in the Big 10, would we still be #1?
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
junkntrunk said:
Celebrate instead of nit-picking...ESPN pays people to do that! The players deserve the respect of the fans, not the negative thoughts. Beat Florida and all that becomes hogwash!!! Have faith....

I honored that you dedicated your first post to telling little ol' me what to do.

"Come Monday" when the office is a buzz with Texas Tech's domination of OSU, Florida's thumping of Vandy, USC, Oklahoma...all looking more than just impressive, what does this Bama fan offer up as the reason why we should be #1?

"Because we have not lost yet" and "if we run the table..." make for weak arguments. I'm using this forum to ask for reinforcements from the guys, gals, and kids here. Thats what we do here.
 
I

imported_Porter

Thread Starter
We have played a very respectable road schedule. The Clemson game was a 50/50 ticket split, but so was Florida's game against UGA. Just speaking about UA though, our road games have been in some tough environments, and out of all of them, only the LSU game was in doubt in the 4th quarter. Also, until today, BAMA had only given up 1 rushing TD on the season and had trailed less than 2 minutes all season long. I don't care if the SEC is having a down year or not, it is still the best conference - top to bottom - out there, and that is impressive.
 

junkntrunk

Registered
I am sorry you took offense to my comment or my first post...the fact is, you are #1...but on another topic, that is not how you ranked Bama on another topic. I see you have them at #3 which really shows your faith in this team. You don't have to spend your time defending Bama's position because, they are #1. If you can be honest and objective, why can't I?
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
elbatider said:
To borrow a quote from our coach, "Let's worry about things we can control." Our opponents record other than the game against us is out of our control. Really, lets take them one at a time and beat the team we are scheduled to play.

So if the polls come out this week and we are number 4, should we all be good with that because it doesn't matter and we don't control it?

What I'm trying to control is my ability to understand how our team, compared to 118 other teams, is seen as #1. Is it just that fact that we are undefeated?
 
I

imported_Porter

Thread Starter
LBS said:
elbatider said:
To borrow a quote from our coach, "Let's worry about things we can control." Our opponents record other than the game against us is out of our control. Really, lets take them one at a time and beat the team we are scheduled to play.

So if the polls come out this week and we are number 4, should we all be good with that because it doesn't matter and we don't control it?

What I'm trying to control is my ability to understand how our team, compared to 118 other teams, is seen as #1. Is it just that fact that we are undefeated?

If we had lost Saturday, we wouldn't be in the top 5 come this afternoon, so part of it is certainly being undefeated obviously. We have some respectable wins though, and anyone in the SEC who gets up to #2 or #1 in the polls and keeps on winning is going to stay there... especially with a win in the SECCG.

The one thing I don't like is, early loses are forgiven, and late loses penalize you. Look at UF (see also: USC). They are playing great football right now, but the fact is, they lost to Ole Miss, AT HOME (USC lost to a similar opponent in Oregon State). If BAMA had lost to a ranked LSU team Saturday on the road, I would imagine we'd see the Tide slip to around 9th or 10th in the polls. To me, that is a little silly, which is why I like the computers having a say-so in the BCS formula. If you are going to lose a game though, it is best to lose it early in the season.
 

junkntrunk

Registered
I am not sure you want my opinion, but being undefeated sure plays an important role, but take into consideration the conference, the strength of schedule and others teams losses....and yes, we deserve the position we hold. I don't see us dropping a position, but the BCS is completely unpredictable and chaotic, so anything is possible. Bama deserves the position they are in and they have the ability to take it all. They are proving to all of us they have the motivation and drive to complete the season on top, one game at a time...
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
Porter said:
LBS said:
elbatider said:
To borrow a quote from our coach, "Let's worry about things we can control." Our opponents record other than the game against us is out of our control. Really, lets take them one at a time and beat the team we are scheduled to play.

So if the polls come out this week and we are number 4, should we all be good with that because it doesn't matter and we don't control it?

What I'm trying to control is my ability to understand how our team, compared to 118 other teams, is seen as #1. Is it just that fact that we are undefeated?

If we had lost Saturday, we wouldn't be in the top 5 come this afternoon, so part of it is certainly being undefeated obviously. We have some respectable wins though, and anyone in the SEC who gets up to #2 or #1 in the polls and keeps on winning is going to stay there... especially with a win in the SECCG.

The one thing I don't like is, early loses are forgiven, and late loses penalize you. Look at UF (see also: USC). They are playing great football right now, but the fact is, they lost to Ole Miss, AT HOME (USC lost to a similar opponent in Oregon State). If BAMA had lost to a ranked LSU team Saturday on the road, I would imagine we'd see the Tide slip to around 9th or 10th in the polls. To me, that is a little silly, which is why I like the computers having a say-so in the BCS formula. If you are going to lose a game though, it is best to lose it early in the season.

Therein lies the best defense of our ranking.

We did not lose to Ole Miss at home - and we played them.
We did not lose to Oregon State, and we have played better teams.
We did not lose to Okie State, though we have played comparable teams.
We did not lose to Iowa, and we have played better teams.
We did not play 2 FCS (D1AA) teams to start the season.
We did not lose to Texas Like OU.
We did not lose to Tx Tech (like Texas).

Texas Tech played 2 FCS teams, and went to overtime at home against Nebraska.

While an argument could be made that any of those teams is playing better than we are, or might beat us, we have played a solid schedule, and have not lost. Every week this season, we have heard that we are posers and (team x) will beat us. Well, until someone does, we are deserving of whatever ranking or accolades we get.

Would Florida beat us? Maybe, maybe not...we will find out. But first, we play MSU and Auburn - 2 teams that won bowls in the 2007 season.

Clemson was preseason top 10.

LSU was the defending national champion.

UGA was undefeated and ranked #3 - preseason #1, and we beat them at their house.

Tennesse was the defending SEC East champ.

Its not our fault that other teams have had down seasons. We had a tough schedule in the preseason. The pundits all said that we might be better this year, but have a worse record because our schedule was so hard...now they say we had a soft schedule.

Sorry...we are 10-0. The only other BCS team that can say that is TTech, and I think they lose against OU.
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
Porter said:
LBS said:
elbatider said:
To borrow a quote from our coach, "Let's worry about things we can control." Our opponents record other than the game against us is out of our control. Really, lets take them one at a time and beat the team we are scheduled to play.

So if the polls come out this week and we are number 4, should we all be good with that because it doesn't matter and we don't control it?

What I'm trying to control is my ability to understand how our team, compared to 118 other teams, is seen as #1. Is it just that fact that we are undefeated?

If we had lost Saturday, we wouldn't be in the top 5 come this afternoon, so part of it is certainly being undefeated obviously. We have some respectable wins though, and anyone in the SEC who gets up to #2 or #1 in the polls and keeps on winning is going to stay there... especially with a win in the SECCG.

The one thing I don't like is, early loses are forgiven, and late loses penalize you. Look at UF (see also: USC). They are playing great football right now, but the fact is, they lost to Ole Miss, AT HOME (USC lost to a similar opponent in Oregon State). If BAMA had lost to a ranked LSU team Saturday on the road, I would imagine we'd see the Tide slip to around 9th or 10th in the polls. To me, that is a little silly, which is why I like the computers having a say-so in the BCS formula. If you are going to lose a game though, it is best to lose it early in the season.

You're right, and that's what bugs me because I think it would go not so much to a late loss but to our reputation. Texas didn't drop off the planet when it lost to TTU. How far did USC drop? How far do you suppose we would have dropped if our loss came to the same Ole Miss team?
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
LBS said:
junkntrunk said:
Celebrate instead of nit-picking...ESPN pays people to do that! The players deserve the respect of the fans, not the negative thoughts. Beat Florida and all that becomes hogwash!!! Have faith....

I honored that you dedicated your first post to telling little ol' me what to do.

"Come Monday" when the office is a buzz with Texas Tech's domination of OSU, Florida's thumping of Vandy, USC, Oklahoma...all looking more than just impressive, what does this Bama fan offer up as the reason why we should be #1?

"Because we have not lost yet" and "if we run the table..." make for weak arguments. I'm using this forum to ask for reinforcements from the guys, gals, and kids here. Thats what we do here.

First of all, where do you get the stats about faced opponents and their over/under .500 listings? If you had a link I would appreciate it. I believe you, but I love stat sites and would like to check it out.

On to your argument:

How is being undefeated a weak arugument?

Is losing one game that you really shouldn't lose suddenly the new popular and cool thing to do, it is overlooked?

How does Florida having opponents who have won more of their games affect Alabama? We are both in the SEC.

Sure, Florida does happen to have a slightly tougher OOC schedule than us this year, but that is just dumb luck on their part.

We have done what was required of us.

When does losing a game start to affect your ranking?

Where does it end? What if a team has the #1 SOS in the nation but has lost 4 games, does that team still jump a team that is undefeated and has the 90th ranked SOS in the nation?

Wins and losses do count for something don't they?
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
Big_Fan said:
Porter said:
LBS said:
elbatider said:
To borrow a quote from our coach, "Let's worry about things we can control." Our opponents record other than the game against us is out of our control. Really, lets take them one at a time and beat the team we are scheduled to play.

So if the polls come out this week and we are number 4, should we all be good with that because it doesn't matter and we don't control it?

What I'm trying to control is my ability to understand how our team, compared to 118 other teams, is seen as #1. Is it just that fact that we are undefeated?

If we had lost Saturday, we wouldn't be in the top 5 come this afternoon, so part of it is certainly being undefeated obviously. We have some respectable wins though, and anyone in the SEC who gets up to #2 or #1 in the polls and keeps on winning is going to stay there... especially with a win in the SECCG.

The one thing I don't like is, early loses are forgiven, and late loses penalize you. Look at UF (see also: USC). They are playing great football right now, but the fact is, they lost to Ole Miss, AT HOME (USC lost to a similar opponent in Oregon State). If BAMA had lost to a ranked LSU team Saturday on the road, I would imagine we'd see the Tide slip to around 9th or 10th in the polls. To me, that is a little silly, which is why I like the computers having a say-so in the BCS formula. If you are going to lose a game though, it is best to lose it early in the season.

Therein lies the best defense of our ranking.

We did not lose to Ole Miss at home - and we played them.
We did not lose to Oregon State, and we have played better teams.
We did not lose to Okie State, though we have played comparable teams.
We did not lose to Iowa, and we have played better teams.
We did not play 2 FCS (D1AA) teams to start the season.
We did not lose to Texas Like OU.
We did not lose to Tx Tech (like Texas).

Texas Tech played 2 FCS teams, and went to overtime at home against Nebraska.

While an argument could be made that any of those teams is playing better than we are, or might beat us, we have played a solid schedule, and have not lost. Every week this season, we have heard that we are posers and (team x) will beat us. Well, until someone does, we are deserving of whatever ranking or accolades we get.

Would Florida beat us? Maybe, maybe not...we will find out. But first, we play MSU and Auburn - 2 teams that won bowls in the 2007 season.

Clemson was preseason top 10.

LSU was the defending national champion.

UGA was undefeated and ranked #3 - preseason #1, and we beat them at their house.

Tennesse was the defending SEC East champ.

Its not our fault that other teams have had down seasons. We had a tough schedule in the preseason. The pundits all said that we might be better this year, but have a worse record because our schedule was so hard...now they say we had a soft schedule.

Sorry...we are 10-0. The only other BCS team that can say that is TTech, and I think they lose against OU.

All of this can be offered in an argument, but the items that I put in bold are the only points that can not be argued. That is what I am trying to get away from (i.e. subjective arguments).

Although it does sound good to point out that we beat last year's SEC East Champ, SEC West and National Champ, and this season's Pre-season #1 - ALL ON THEIR HOME FIELD. But the issue is that Wyoming beat UT too, Florida spanked UGA too, and bout UGA and Florida beat LSU unquestionably worse than we did for all to see.
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
LBS said:
All of this can be offered in an argument, but the items that I put in bold are the only points that can not be argued. That is what I am trying to get away from (i.e. subjective arguments).

Although it does sound good to point out that we beat last year's SEC East Champ, SEC West and National Champ, and this season's Pre-season #1 - ALL ON THEIR HOME FIELD. But the issue is that Wyoming beat UT too, Florida spanked UGA too, and bout UGA and Florida beat LSU unquestionably worse than we did for all to see.

LBS, if you go down that road, any team's record can be skewed.

USC lost to Oregon State who lost to Stanford . So, why in the world is USC still ranked #7 in the country?

They evidently are not as good as Stanford is. LOL.

It just doesn't work that way.

Just as we found out today, LSU is a great team who could play with anyone in the country, today. Not when Georgia beat them by 20 or 30 something, not when Florida did the same. But today, when we played them, they were good, they were fired up, they were physical.

USC can lose to Mountain Brook today, but they may beat them by 150 tomorrow.

All that matters when you get right down to it is how your team plays when they step out there.
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
CtrlAltieDel said:
LBS said:
All of this can be offered in an argument, but the items that I put in bold are the only points that can not be argued. That is what I am trying to get away from (i.e. subjective arguments).

Although it does sound good to point out that we beat last year's SEC East Champ, SEC West and National Champ, and this season's Pre-season #1 - ALL ON THEIR HOME FIELD. But the issue is that Wyoming beat UT too, Florida spanked UGA too, and bout UGA and Florida beat LSU unquestionably worse than we did for all to see.

Yeah I got that, with regards to "X beat Y, Y beat Z, so Z is better than X" loop. That is why a complete body of work is so heavily used, because any team can have a bad day. The arguement that I face (and am seeking help countering) is that we don't have the reputation for being as overpowering as a handful of others (save the Georgia and Clemson games).

LBS, if you go down that road, any team's record can be skewed.

USC lost to Oregon State who lost to Stanford . So, why in the world is USC still ranked #7 in the country?

They evidently are not as good as Stanford is. LOL.

It just doesn't work that way.

Just as we found out today, LSU is a great team who could play with anyone in the country, today. Not when Georgia beat them by 20 or 30 something, not when Florida did the same. But today, when we played them, they were good, they were fired up, they were physical.

USC can lose to Mountain Brook today, but they may beat them by 150 tomorrow.

All that matters when you get right down to it is how your team plays when they step out there.
 

TerryP

Ivory Club
LBS said:
Any SEC team this deep into the schedule without a loss is something to be respected. But seriously, other than Undefeated what does Alabama hang its hat on in its claim as #1?

Thus far the teams that we have beaten are a total of 6 games below .500. If MSU and Auburn are rolled in, its 9 games under .500. Compare that to Florida who is 11 games ABOVE, and projected through the end of the season their schedule is 16 games above.

When has there not been a year where this conference's fans dismissed west coast and mid-major teams on a roll because they played a weak schedule. So how do we defend our claim to be #1?

I do understand what you are saying here. I've seen it mentioned around different schools forums a few weeks now.

Look at Tx Tech with 8 over .500 and USC with 1 over .500. It makes sense to question if there is another reason besides being unbeaten.

I do think we are receiving credit for what SEC teams have done in the past.

One thing you can't argue with is our BCS bowl record as a conference. The SEC has won over 80% of our BCS bowl games..I want to say the current record is 17-2, may be 17-3. Add to that a winning percentage in bowl games as a whole and there's another reason why #1.

Ask yourself this question.

If team get a higher nod in the pre-season (which effects the post season) based on what they have done in the past few years why shouldn't we get the same nod from our conference and its record? I don't see a thing that is unfair about the situation...or wrong.
 

bamascott2

Verified Member
Sideline Club
LBS said:
Any SEC team this deep into the schedule without a loss is something to be respected. But seriously, other than Undefeated what does Alabama hang its hat on in its claim as #1?

Thus far the teams that we have beaten are a total of 6 games below .500. If MSU and Auburn are rolled in, its 9 games under .500. Compare that to Florida who is 11 games ABOVE, and projected through the end of the season their schedule is 16 games above.

When has there not been a year where this conference's fans dismissed west coast and mid-major teams on a roll because they played a weak schedule. So how do we defend our claim to be #1?
When the season started, of the teams we have already played - UGA was #1, LSU was #7 (#6 Coaches) Clemson was #9, and Tennessee was #18...all ahead of Bama. And for good measure, the Barners were #10 (#11 Coaches). That was an impressive schedule in August. We can't control what our opponents have done record-wise. We can (and have) controlled what we can control.

If we win out and beat Florida in the SECCG, we'll be the media darlings again like we were after the UGA game.
 
Top Bottom