| FTBL Okay I have a question

G

Jackson UA leads, 9-1

Meridian UA leads 2-0

Columbus Series Tied, 1-1-1

Aberdeen MSU leads, 1-0

When and why did we play Mississippi State in these locations?

RollTide1980 said:
I didn't bother to look any of this up, but I THINK I remember playing them in Jackson during the 80s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I KNOW we used to play Ole Miss in Jackson.

~Bryan :)

Our last game in Jackson was in Curry's era, his last year I'm thinking ('89) against Ole Miss. Now that I think about it, I'm sure. The next year we played a directional school from Louisiana at their home stadium. Layfayette maybe?

'84 we played MSU in Jackson...that was the last one against them...that was Perkins 5-6 year...I learned how to be a ticked off Alabama fan that year.

We played them in Columbus 1903, 1904 and 1909. We played them in Aberdeen in 1912.

Different game locations were common in the early years. Several early aubrun games were in Montgomery. In the twenties through the fifties, Bama played Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Clemson, Sewanee, SW LA, South Carolina, Delta State, Southern Miss, MSU and LSU in Montgomery.

Mobile was another Bama destination. LSU, Tulane, Vandy, Maryland, and Southern Miss all played Bama in Mobile. Tulane and Southern Miss played Bama in Mobile in the Sixties in night games when night games were still uncommon. The last regular season game in Mobile was SoMiss in '68.

With a few exceptions, from 1969 to 1992, all Bama regular season games were played on a college campus, were at Legion Field, or were in Jackson (Ole Miss or MSU). We played Arkansas in Little Rock in 1992. Exceptions during this time include Rutgers at East Rutherford and Boston College at Foxboro, and we also played Ohio State in East Rutherford in the Kickoff Classic.

Transportation was key in the early years. The Alabama highway system in the twenties through forties was challenging at best, with train travel still preferable. I have a 1939 Alabama Highway map, and it's fascinating to see how many of our main thoroughfares were unpaved or even unimproved at that time.

RTR,

Tim

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
I didn't bother to look any of this up, but I THINK I remember playing them in Jackson during the 80s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I KNOW we used to play Ole Miss in Jackson.

~Bryan :)

Our last game in Jackson was in Curry's era, his last year I'm thinking ('89) against Ole Miss. Now that I think about it, I'm sure. The next year we played a directional school from Louisiana at their home stadium. Layfayette maybe?

'84 we played MSU in Jackson...that was the last one against them...that was Perkins 5-6 year...I learned how to be a ticked off Alabama fan that year.

Right on both counts, Terry. '89 against Ole Miss, '90 away against SWLA in front of a whopping crowd of 36,000.

Back
Top Bottom