| FTBL Offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien

Outside the program it is Highly talked that he will find somewhere in the NFL to go to. From what I've read, Nick ain't having any of that, says he has heard nothing about any news and that Coach O'Brien being anywhere else but Bama.
I"m little confused by that. Maybe I'm missing something. With BOB hasn't interviewed anywhere else except for Jag's HC spot, and patriot OC is pretty locked up by how Patriot reorganized their staff. Belichick, Patricia, and Judge brain trust running the offense with a second-year quarterback is not a long-term plan. It’s a band-aid. Unfortunately, that might be where they’re at right now.

Then we have Saban who said this.
Bill’s done a great job for us here, and Bill’s had a very successful career. I don’t think Bill’s trying to leave.

Remember this: No new is good new. Bama already started 4th quarter program. Spring football begins in little 3 or 4 weeks. It's way too late to be hiring OC for Bama.

Anti-BOB is often driven by, or at least started heavily with, the Texas A&M game. First and goal from the 3 down by 4 and he passes 3 straight times, settling for the FG. Of course he had 3rd and goal from the 1 earlier in the game and called a pass play that was intercepted too. That sticks with people.

I think you're right. I know that was frustrating to watch.

I got to thinking about it and there are so many unknowns for me sitting on my ass on my couch in B'ham.

If guys have minor to mid level injuries that they can play through, Saban keeps tight lipped about that. Remember the 09 BCS game against UT, McElroy had some broke ribs. We found out after the game.

We know that we were thin at RB all year and maybe BRob was nicked up and needed a little extra rest? Maybe they saw something on film and thought they had the match up and could get the points by throwing. This year was one of the least punishing O Lines I remember seeing in Saban's 15 years at UA. I do know this. We just had our first QB ever to win a Heisman at UA. BOB was our OC for that. Not Sark, Not Kiffen, Not McElwain....BOB.

I'm not one to bet, but if I were, my money is on the fact that everyone will feel about BOB the way they did about Sark. If our O line plays up to Saban standards this year and we get a similar Jameson Williams type WR, couple that with the Gibbs at RB. We will be balanced and explosive. We will all be butt-hurt when BOB takes off next year to go back to the NFL.

Anti-BOB is often driven by, or at least started heavily with, the Texas A&M game. First and goal from the 3 down by 4 and he passes 3 straight times, settling for the FG. Of course he had 3rd and goal from the 1 earlier in the game and called a pass play that was intercepted too. That sticks with people.
Then it's also anti-Bryce. Those calls, as explained by Saban, were made by Bryce because they'd given him the latitude to make a choice on which plays to call.

If it's 1st and goal and running plays weren't called, then BOB isn't good at his job. And it also means Bryce made the wrong calls. It's funny to me never seeing the same people complain about passing in a "goal to go" situation when it results in a touchdown.

Let's seriously look at that for a second. I hesitate, but only a little, calling this one of the worse performing offensive lines in the Saban era. The VAST majority would agree with that point. But, we're still seeing those who criticize BOB and Bryce for passing plays when we're seeing these same people criticize the OL because they didn't do a good job run blocking.

In the NC game, with virtually no offensive weapons Bama could rely upon, BOB drew up a game plan that had enough in it to beat Georgia. As mentioned on numerous occasions if it were't for the drops, blown assignments in protection, and some horrendous efforts from some of the players Bama very likely wins that game. He called a hell of a plan that weeknight. He put that team in numerous positions to win proving not only he can coach, but did a hell of a job coaching this past years team.

This is SO similar to feelings about Sark when he was hired it's uncanny. People judged Sark on ATL. BOB is being judged on his time in the NFL as well. I don't consider this hyperbole saying this group portended disaster before the season started.

I'm still shaking my head thinking about this...

RB room gutted by injury.
A new QB starting in his first season.
Unproven WR's going in and then losing the top two in the last three games.

Considering the personnel differences in 2021 vs 2020 alone and we're left with an offensive coordinator who did a good job with few bullets in his gun.

Then it's also anti-Bryce. Those calls, as explained by Saban, were made by Bryce because they'd given him the latitude to make a choice on which plays to call.

If it's 1st and goal and running plays weren't called, then BOB isn't good at his job. And it also means Bryce made the wrong calls. It's funny to me never seeing the same people complain about passing in a "goal to go" situation when it results in a touchdown.

Let's seriously look at that for a second. I hesitate, but only a little, calling this one of the worse performing offensive lines in the Saban era. The VAST majority would agree with that point. But, we're still seeing those who criticize BOB and Bryce for passing plays when we're seeing these same people criticize the OL because they didn't do a good job run blocking.

In the NC game, with virtually no offensive weapons Bama could rely upon, BOB drew up a game plan that had enough in it to beat Georgia. As mentioned on numerous occasions if it were't for the drops, blown assignments in protection, and some horrendous efforts from some of the players Bama very likely wins that game. He called a hell of a plan that weeknight. He put that team in numerous positions to win proving not only he can coach, but did a hell of a job coaching this past years team.

This is SO similar to feelings about Sark when he was hired it's uncanny. People judged Sark on ATL. BOB is being judged on his time in the NFL as well. I don't consider this hyperbole saying this group portended disaster before the season started.

Considering the personnel differences in 2021 vs 2020 alone and we're left with an offensive coordinator who did a good job with few bullets in his gun.
Most excellent point. I remember not many were super excited when Sark came back but changed their tune when he left for Tejas.

I remember the A&m game also and not running the ball was frustrating for sure. No idea if BY overrode those calls maybe he did but he should be coached to not do that. However with that said the run and pass blocking struggled at times and who knows but the players and staff what other considerations were made at that point in the season and against that opponent.

For this specific game I recall being more upset with the defense than the offense.

BOB in my view did a good job with the hand he was dealt (yes at bama even that hand is pretty good). Give him year 2 with BY and hopefully more productivity in the OL and we shall see. Bigger concern may be the WR group but you know they have talent and Saban has already called them out to hopefully light a fire. The GOAT never does anything w/o a purpose with the context he knows his team and knows what they need (tough love, encouragement etc...).

I feel the exact same way as you do about the National Championship game. We should have won that game and beat ourselves. Georgia did not beat us until the last half of the 4th quarter. Our offensive game plan was pretty damn great. The players dropping balls, loafing, and slipping hurt us, but the game plan was damn good. We ran up and down the field on them again, we just couldn't convert when it mattered.

I will ask this though since you explained to me about the Texas A&M game a while back when I questioned O'Brien. Who made the calls when we were first and goal from the five and decided not to run the ball at all with Brian Robinson in the Natty? I don't care about his average per rush that game, I only know he got us the yards this season when his number was called, so I really want to know who made the call not to give him the ball?

Most excellent point. I remember not many were super excited when Sark came back but changed their tune when he left for Tejas.
An example that's just as good is with Kiffin. He was being judged on Oakland, then Tennessee and USC.

I remember when he was hired cautioning several to look at what he did at USC when he had the players around him: 3000 yard passer, 1000 yard running back, and 1000 yard receivers. Now we look back and see Jalen, of all people, close to putting up Matt Leinart numbers. We saw Henry put up better numbers than Reggie Bush when he was here. We saw Cooper put up better numbers than Lendale White.

That's not all Kiff...like @JoseyWalesTheOutlaw is found of mentioning the arrows in the quiver.

Who made the calls when we were first and goal from the five and decided not to run the ball at all with Brian Robinson in the Natty? I don't care about his average per rush that game, I only know he got us the yards this season when his number was called, so I really want to know who made the call not to give him the ball?
I can't speak to play to play, but I know it was a combination of both.

I'm not in the boat of "they should have tried to run the ball in the NC game." I'm not even in the same body of water. It's my opinion if they'd have tried to run the ball in those situations in the title game Bama would likely have ended up in single digits on the scoreboard. The offensive line was far too inconsistent.

I don't think you intended your comment to read the way I took it...emphasis on "think." They didn't choose "not to give the ball to BRob." They chose to go with what they felt gave the team the best opportunity to have success: running the ball wasn't the call.

FWIW, BRob averaged three per carry in both games versus Georgia (boosted by 15 yard runs in both games.)

I can't speak to play to play, but I know it was a combination of both.

I'm not in the boat of "they should have tried to run the ball in the NC game." I'm not even in the same body of water. It's my opinion if they'd have tried to run the ball in those situations in the title game Bama would likely have ended up in single digits on the scoreboard. The offensive line was far too inconsistent.

I don't think you intended your comment to read the way I took it...emphasis on "think." They didn't choose "not to give the ball to BRob." They chose to go with what they felt gave the team the best opportunity to have success: running the ball wasn't the call.

FWIW, BRob averaged three per carry in both games versus Georgia (boosted by 15 yard runs in both games.)

Right, but he got those tough two and three yards that no one else got against them. He was banged up one game and we threw a lot. Second game he was much better health wise, and we decided to throw again. I just feel you let the Senior that's 220 pounds run the rock from the five and in. If he's averaging three yards, give him two carries to get five. Georgia was too fast sideline to sideline last year to try and get outside with Bryce, and it showed when he took the bad sack and couldn't find a receiver to throw to. Dean and Tindall were way more consistant that Jordan Davis and Treyvon Walker. Robinson doesn't get enough credit for how hard of a runner he is/was. He was dependable in my mind, and a guy that made a difference for us.

Over time, I have come to be less anti-BOB and more anti-Marrone. Our line, albeit often stitched together, was not that good this year. That to me did more to sink the offense than BOB's play calling. Hopefully new coaching on the line, and hopefully fewer injuries, helps this.

Right, but he got those tough two and three yards that no one else got against them. He was banged up one game and we threw a lot. Second game he was much better health wise, and we decided to throw again. I just feel you let the Senior that's 220 pounds run the rock from the five and in. If he's averaging three yards, give him two carries to get five. Georgia was too fast sideline to sideline last year to try and get outside with Bryce, and it showed when he took the bad sack and couldn't find a receiver to throw to. Dean and Tindall were way more consistant that Jordan Davis and Treyvon Walker. Robinson doesn't get enough credit for how hard of a runner he is/was. He was dependable in my mind, and a guy that made a difference for us.
But stll...one of passes...from 5....was dropped in EZ...
Right call...good execution...distaster ending

Over time, I have come to be less anti-BOB and more anti-Marrone. Our line, albeit often stitched together, was not that good this year. That to me did more to sink the offense than BOB's play calling. Hopefully new coaching on the line, and hopefully fewer injuries, helps this.
I don't think Marrone is a bad offensive line coach. He wouldn't be where he is, or have the career he's had, if he was as bad as some portray him to be.

I do think what he expected from the line would fall into the same column as "unrealistic expectations." It's my belief he felt he could get the same performances out of these collegiate kids as he has with those in the league.

As example:

We'd seen a guy "plant and pop" getting that first hit on the rushing defender. However, as the defender was fighting off the block the linemen would be coming out of that "plant," start shuffling, and then try to "plant and pop" again. That kind of blocking/leverage we see in the league but not often in collegiate football. Neal could adjust, Owens struggled.

I don't have any experience playing on the line or coaching an offensive line so my opinion is strictly one of a "layman." I don't think his style is necessarily a bad technique for offensive lineman...IF they are talented enough to be able to follow his scheme.

🤷‍♂️

In the first game there was only one short yardage situation for a first down Bama completed with BRob; in the second game two. All three were on Bama's side of the field as I recall. They were getting more success on short yardage downs passing than running. (I don't think you're suggesting they should have tried something that wasn't as successful as what was called.)

When you're in the "money area" why would anyone call plays that were less successful? They couldn't rely on the line to get those short yards in the red zone, much less inside the ten. Going with BRob, or Trey, would basically be settling for field goals: after all, that's what happened when they did.

In these situations it wasn't about "BRob being dependable." It was not being able to depend on the line to allow him to do "his thing."

I respect and admire what Brian did in his time in Tuscaloosa as much as many players I've seen wearing Crimson. But, we're lying to ourselves if we're going to go with a narrative he was as talented as the guys we've seen in the past especially given the circumstances we've discussed. We've watched guys who could still get it done in spite of contact behind the LOS: BRob wasn't that guy as good as he was in other areas.

I remember the A&m game also and not running the ball was frustrating for sure. No idea if BY overrode those calls maybe he did but he should be coached to not do that. However with that said the run and pass blocking struggled at times and who knows but the players and staff what other considerations were made at that point in the season and against that opponent.
He didn't override the calls, per se'. Picture it as an RPO: he had more than one choice and went with what he saw.

Back
Top Bottom